User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jlowe74
(newbie) Mon 26-Mar-18 13:18:14
Print Post

Starting to see packet loss during peak hours utilisation?

[link to this post]

Hi can someone have a look at my BQM please and if anyone knows if BLACKHEATH exchange in the West Midlands B65 is having any issues that would be superb, I am connected to cabinet 30 if that helps at all.

Right last few weeks after almost a year with no packet loss at all EVER this has started happening, also my bqm used to be pretty much flatline 24/7

14th March

15th March

16th March

17th March

18th March

19th March

20th March

21st March

22nd March

23rd March

24th March

25th March

LIVE GRAPH

Modem stats

Just so you know WiFi is always turned off and only thing connected is an Xbox One X which is hardwired but is only on for a couple of hours every couple of days and when its off it's physically unplugged from the mains, so not sure why my BQM is showing any activity at those times.

I'm totally guessing but could by cabinet / area be suffering from over utilisation?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Mar-18 14:24:53
Print Post

Re: Starting to see packet loss during peak hours utilisatio

[re: jlowe74] [link to this post]

What issues? There are many who would fight you for a connection looking that good.

If between 8pm and 10pm on Sunday your Xbox was turned on looking at your live graphs its sort of what one would expect from game play/updates and other traffic on your connection.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/... the rise between 5pm and 6pm is classic you have something using your connection e.g. big multi GB game update.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jlowe74
(newbie) Mon 26-Mar-18 16:50:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
What issues? There are many who would fight you for a connection looking that good.

I am referring to the sudden occurence of packet-loss during peak times and all the yellow even when nothing is using the connection.

Less than a month ago and for nearly 10 months prior to that I had no packet-loss at all, and the entire graph was like it looks now between 12am - 12pm.

Edited by jlowe74 (Mon 26-Mar-18 16:52:08)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Mar-18 20:19:02
Print Post

have you confirmed the packet loss with outbound pings?

Reason for asking is that the packet loss is so mild that I doubt any ISP is going to do anything, and you need to show how it is actually impacting your use of the service.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 27-Mar-18 05:12:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by jlowe74:
Less than a month ago and for nearly 10 months prior to that I had no packet-loss at all, and the entire graph was like it looks now between 12am - 12pm.

Then I would say you've been extremely lucky in the past. Its not unusual to see slight packet loss on consumer connections at peak times d/t the fact that you're sharing your bandwidth 'pipe' with many others at the exchange.

As Mr S says, you have a near perfect connection, you have nothing to worry to about.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User jlowe74
(newbie) Tue 27-Mar-18 10:06:19
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Then I would say you've been extremely lucky in the past. Its not unusual to see slight packet loss on consumer connections at peak times d/t the fact that you're sharing your bandwidth 'pipe' with many others at the exchange.

As Mr S says, you have a near perfect connection, you have nothing to worry to about.

So it is in fact utilisation at the exchange that's all I wanted to confirm.

I am concerned about the packet-loss starting to rear its ugly head due to never having any since I had FTTC installed last may and none that I can recall prior to that for nearly 10 years while on ADSL, packet-loss is alien to me.

The weird thing to me is seeing packet-loss on my BQM when nothing is even plugged in to my connection.

If I was downloading large amounts of files or streaming on the connection I would not be at all concerned about a bit of packet-loss but I am not.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply to my post.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 27-Mar-18 11:17:31
Print Post

Cannot confirm the location of the utilisation from the BQM, for all we know people may be doing lots of attempted hacks across your line at certain times.

The packet loss may be nothing to do with utilisation it could just be a random delayed packet due to some error correction needing a retransmit or housekeeping by the router delaying ICMP responses

Standard User jlowe74
(newbie) Tue 27-Mar-18 12:58:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Router shows no error Pkts for last 13 days.

https://imgur.com/a/pMw4r
Standard User derekdel
(committed) Wed 28-Mar-18 22:43:56
Print Post

Wish i had a BT ping THAT good, here is mine.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Think yourself very fortunate tbh.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Mar-18 19:35:59
Print Post

[re: derekdel] [link to this post]

I am inclined to think that you should either complain, or change ISP. My Vodafone is much better and probably cheaper as well, though not every Vodafone customer is so lucky.

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to