User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User derekdel
(committed) Sat 31-Mar-18 17:18:50
Print Post

line problem

[link to this post]

I really hope this is not the start of the line problems I had a few years back when I was with Zen!

I tried contacting them at the time and there was nothing wrong with my line.......... I was [found out later] the first one to call about it!

This is my BT line just now and the other line right now is ok but its been all over the spectrum too
Its been bumped up to level 2 now and they are contacting me tomorrow.

https://imgur.com/a/XbEr3

My Broadband Ping
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Mar-18 17:47:10
Print Post

Re: line problem

[re: derekdel] [link to this post]

BT Wholesale Speed test is a load of trash, it has never told me the correct speeds at all.
Here is the result for my connection which is Infinity 4 (300Mbps) it says I am getting 1.5Gbps, I wish I got that download speed tongue

And I get this when I click on Further Diagnostics button:

No Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) services have been found at this address. Please check the postcode or use the Telephone Number or Service ID to conduct the test.

Click here to try again.

So like I said its rubbish LOL

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.27 Mbps (down), 30.5 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User derekdel
(committed) Sun 01-Apr-18 12:52:48
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Nice Paul.

Anyway I got a phone call from BT this morning and they have identified a problem at my exchange with engineering visit on Wednesday!

BT have fairly upped their game of late.

I will see how it goes.

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Apr-18 03:01:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by derekdel:
Nice Paul.

Anyway I got a phone call from BT this morning and they have identified a problem at my exchange with engineering visit on Wednesday!

I will see how it goes.

Ouch that speed really sucks, have you tried it in the test socket ?

If still no joy about a week after Wednesday phone BT again and ask is they can send out a boost engineer, be aware that if you have internal wiring issues you might and possibly will get charged.

We had once sent out to me when we was on ADSL2+ and not getting what we was when we were with Zen.

The boost engineer disconnected everything to isolate the phone line coming in and did tests, sadly in our case we were just on the end of a very long line which had issues and the engineer told me there was no more free spare pairs and that they in most cases won't install a new additional cable just for one line.

Paul

TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Apr-18 08:08:21
Print Post

For several years, I found the BTW Test generally inn agreement with TBB., parrticuularly from going on to EE 40/10 Contract from June 2014.

However so far this year the BTW Tests have frequently returned up to 160 Mbps on Downstream.
Standard User derekdel
(committed) Mon 02-Apr-18 10:11:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Nice Paul.

I will see how it goes.

Ouch that speed really sucks, have you tried it in the test socket ?

If still no joy about a week after Wednesday phone BT again and ask is they can send out a boost engineer, be aware that if you have internal wiring issues you might and possibly will get charged.

We had once sent out to me when we was on ADSL2+ and not getting what we was when we were with Zen.

The boost engineer disconnected everything to isolate the phone line coming in and did tests, sadly in our case we were just on the end of a very long line which had issues and the engineer told me there was no more free spare pairs and that they in most cases won't install a new additional cable just for one line.

Paul

Yes tried the test socket, different router, faceplate, filter, cables and different times of the day to find a pattern.

I do all this days before I contact the ISP Just in case its a little blip.
Earlier in the week both lines have had throughput issues although one has cleared up remarkably, for now.

I know there is nothing wrong with the internal cabling as I installed it myself, I also tested that just in case smile

I wouldnt say my line was too long at about 0.5miles ish I think, annoyingly there is another cabinet half that distance away and its a Huawei cab, mines is a ECI.

This morning everything is working fine-ish
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Apr-18 10:39:49
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
For several years, I found the BTW Test generally inn agreement with TBB., parrticuularly from going on to EE 40/10 Contract from June 2014.

However so far this year the BTW Tests have frequently returned up to 160 Mbps on Downstream.

I know, it use to be about right, granted I could never complete the final stage where I put my post code, door number and landline due to it just fails, this I assume is down to it being a FVA line now.
Its the same with all DSL Checkers when you enter the number in which all returns unknown number or number not recognized etc.

But like I have said I wouldn't mind getting that speed that BTW Test said I was getting it would be great tongue

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Apr-18 11:04:08
Print Post

Yes tried the test socket, different router, faceplate, filter, cables and different times of the day to find a pattern.

I do all this days before I contact the ISP Just in case its a little blip.
Earlier in the week both lines have had throughput issues although one has cleared up remarkably, for now.

I know there is nothing wrong with the internal cabling as I installed it myself, I also tested that just in case smile

I wouldnt say my line was too long at about 0.5miles ish I think, annoyingly there is another cabinet half that distance away and its a Huawei cab, mines is a ECI.

This morning everything is working fine-ish

I completely replaced everything, even the BT80 (BT wasn't happy at the time but all ended good) so I know all the internal wiring is good.

I have a cable with a RJ11 connector one end and two crocodile clips the other and when ever I had connection issues on ADSL2+ I would just disconnect at the BT80 and clip on the croc clips and connect the modem/router and if the issue was still there I reconnected it all back up and phoned BT.

Once again I told them exactly what I did including the BT80 wires, once again BT wasn't too happy, but ended up ok with it where they sent out an engineer, in this case it was a boost engineer which found no internal issues but could see a mismatch on the line about ~700m externally, so that would of been between the cabinet and the exchange.

I know I am about 2.57km from my exchange and about 456m from my cabinet.

When you say 0.5 miles is that from your home to the cabinet, that is like 800m not too sure what FTTC speed you would get at that distance.

Paul

Standard User derekdel
(committed) Mon 02-Apr-18 22:22:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
I completely replaced everything, even the BT80 (BT wasn't happy at the time but all ended good) so I know all the internal wiring is good.

I have a cable with a RJ11 connector one end and two crocodile clips the other and when ever I had connection issues on ADSL2+ I would just disconnect at the BT80 and clip on the croc clips and connect the modem/router and if the issue was still there I reconnected it all back up and phoned BT.

Once again I told them exactly what I did including the BT80 wires, once again BT wasn't too happy, but ended up ok with it where they sent out an engineer, in this case it was a boost engineer which found no internal issues but could see a mismatch on the line about ~700m externally, so that would of been between the cabinet and the exchange.

I know I am about 2.57km from my exchange and about 456m from my cabinet.

When you say 0.5 miles is that from your home to the cabinet, that is like 800m not too sure what FTTC speed you would get at that distance.

Paul

Strange that when I came down one morning both my master sockets had changed to the latest Mk3s.....
I would say thats about right to the cabinet 800m give or take. The exchange is about 1 mile away
DSL checker gives me these stats, weirdly for tonight they are the same results! I am on a impacted line. On a good day i will get about 32-34 on one line and nearly a full 10 mb less on ther other line.

https://imgur.com/a/7lfiA

Stats for tonight with both lines struggling.
My Broadband Speed Test
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Apr-18 23:37:07
Print Post

Strange that when I came down one morning both my master sockets had changed to the latest Mk3s.....
I would say thats about right to the cabinet 800m give or take. The exchange is about 1 mile away
DSL checker gives me these stats, weirdly for tonight they are the same results! I am on a impacted line. On a good day i will get about 32-34 on one line and nearly a full 10 mb less on ther other line.

Well a MK3 isn't the latest version, as far as I am aware there is a MK4 but its for the Master Socket 5C (tool less master socket)

https://imgur.com/a/7lfiA

Stats for tonight with both lines struggling.
My Broadband Speed Test
My Broadband Speed Test

Yeah it seems you are in the Impacted range B speeds.

Paul

Standard User derekdel
(committed) Tue 03-Apr-18 08:31:44
Print Post

I know, Mk3 was the latest at the time smile
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Apr-18 14:01:17
Print Post

I know, Mk3 was the latest at the time smile

They were, that's what I had fitted downstairs on the main connection and also on the second line which is now disconnected.

The main connection now only has the NTE5A + the Phone faceplate and the copper line terminated in the BT80 and the phone line from the ONT is now connected to the NTE5A Socket.

TBH I prefer the the NTE5A with the MK3 DSL and Phone face plates which are screwed into place.

The new Master Socket 5C only had the back main faceplate screwed to the back box.
The DSL and Phone are combined together on the MK4 faceplate which just clips on, and is easaly knocked off if hoovering etc.

I have one sitting on my desk in front of me, not eactly nice look tbh, but neither was the old one.

Paul

Standard User derekdel
(committed) Tue 03-Apr-18 22:33:38
Print Post

I always thought the clip on idea was pretty poor and I wonder how many will get broken in due time.

Tonight’s latest offerings... 2 lines different providers same exchange cabinet.

My Broadband Speed Test
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Apr-18 09:10:37
Print Post

I always thought the clip on idea was pretty poor and I wonder how many will get broken in due time.

Well I am not a fan of them, as for them breaking, its possible, but more likely to pop off first.

I got out my hot air tool and heated up the one on my desk to slightly soften the plastic on the side to persuade it out a little and then let it cool and harden back up.

Now mine is more firm but still able to be removed when the sides are pushed in.

Tonight’s latest offerings... 2 lines different providers same exchange cabinet.

My Broadband Speed Test
My Broadband Speed Test

Ouch, I know our two copper lines here when we had ADSL2+ on both of them, our main line was with Zen and got 6.5Mbps (no errors or dissconnects) and the second line was with BE at 6.8Mbps (had a few issues, but was stableish) then BE was brought by Sky which resulted in our speeds dropping to an unstable 5 to 6Mbps.

Then my brother moved out and took his Zen connection with him so we got BT put on our main connection, sadly BT would only give us between 4 and 5Mbps even though the line could handle 5.5 to 6.5Mbps.

TBH, we could never go back to ADSL2+ speeds tongue

Paul

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Apr-18 10:56:39
Print Post

‘Hot air tool’ ...... pronounced ‘hair dryer’ I believe Paul winkgrinlaugh

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Apr-18 11:51:01
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
‘Hot air tool’ ...... pronounced ‘hair dryer’ I believe Paul winkgrinlaugh

LOL, no it was my SMD Work Station, my Pink Hair Dryer didn't get hot enough tongue

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Wed 04-Apr-18 23:07:13)

Standard User derekdel
(committed) Wed 04-Apr-18 22:17:07
Print Post

Engineer was out today as as I thought zero problems with the physical line, either of them!

I am still getting random fluctuations of speed at various times tonight.

Neither connection will allow me to complete a full TAP3 on the first test attempt, I get the following:
The Performance Tester is disabled to support TAP3 for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

https://imgur.com/a/ODiLM

Its hacking me off now, its not degraded sufficiently to flag a ‘serious’ fault as they say but I am the one paying for the blinking service when its buffering all over the place.

Same thing happened the last time, I don’t want to say the C word [clean]
Standard User derekdel
(committed) Tue 10-Apr-18 23:06:45
Print Post

Tonight’s latest offering and still there isnt a problem.......

If I have a blue light on my hub it must be working or I am uploading too much, pathetic at best.
Heard it all before countless times, nearly word for word!
It is the C word unfortunately frown

My Broadband Speed Test
My Broadband Speed Test

The below graph is getting worse on a daily basis, it will get to a point that the packet loss in red will merge with the green latency and I will be back on dial up speeds.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Standard User jdigz7
(regular) Wed 11-Apr-18 00:25:22
Print Post

Tonight’s latest offering and still there isnt a problem.......

If I have a blue light on my hub it must be working or I am uploading too much, pathetic at best.
Heard it all before countless times, nearly word for word!
It is the C word unfortunately frown

My Broadband Speed Test
My Broadband Speed Test

The below graph is getting worse on a daily basis, it will get to a point that the packet loss in red will merge with the green latency and I will be back on dial up speeds.

Maybe try writing to the CEO office. BT Backhaul on your cabinet is probably congested.

Who is the other provider of the second line? possibly a move to a provider like Sky who runs their own backhaul or one that uses the talk talk business backhaul might solve your issue.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to