User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ironnapper
(committed) Wed 25-Apr-18 11:30:46
Print Post

BT Problems including wireless

[link to this post]

Brief outline

Village got fibre couple years eastern european guy with little tools came to install some sockets for fibre and it was lightning quick wirelessly on an iphone for example it was a HH5.

As time went on it seemed to get slower and never really maintained the performance levels.

Dont have loads of devices in the house so any complaints to BT are usually met with you have too many devices or its your equipment thats faulty.

Of late I actually use my 4G on the phone as the performance is tragic, i think dial up felt less of a chore back in the day!

So I asked them for a new router but they wanted £60 for a HH6, I just bought a new one from someone to try it.

It actually seems worse!

I've tried leaving default....garbage and splitting the bands to 2.4 and 5ghz and connectiing to the 2.4 and still its rank.

The one think I have never got my head round or had BT give an viable answer is that while the download is erratic, mostly rank and never get near what your paying for...

The upload is usually very consistent and you get almost max speed you pay for.

Does this mean that ithe wi-fi side is actually good as surely if they wi-fi was rubbish then the upload would suffer?

Typial tests are

Download 6.9mpbs
Upload 18.82 mbps

Does it sound like there are just too much people connected at the exchange now, it points to a service issue to me but your general numpty you get on the phone line is never going to delve that deep.

I will add all this talk of wireless distance etc, again the BT line, we have paper thin walls and it doesnt actually seem to be any different from eithe standing next to router or away in another room

Any words of wisdom for the more experienced on here?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Apr-18 11:35:02
Print Post

Re: BT Problems including wireless

[re: ironnapper] [link to this post]

Words of wisdom - are the speeds poor if you connect using an Ethernet cable?

Thin walls if plasterboard usually include a foil backing which kills wireless signals

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ironnapper
(committed) Wed 25-Apr-18 11:49:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

Thin walls if plasterboard usually include a foil backing which kills wireless signals

Seems to be more consistent on the wired front, still can be poor at times, have the latest BT homeplugs for youview and it can break up.

The guy that was fitting the socket should have probably stuck it at the TV as opposed to the hall but guess his lack of tools and drill bits didn't help matters.

If wireless was an issue is there an explanation for the upload continually returning perfect results to the max speed that is quoted almost.

Also can we trust the bt speed tester as its funny how it always give more favourable resutls than speedtest.net, or maybe the latter is not to be trusted

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Apr-18 11:55:05
Print Post

BT Wholesale tester, don't bother.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest and we record the throughput so you can see the ups and downs
speedtest.net can have a tendency to give a top quartile or better result.

Without seeing

a) Line stats
b) Speed tests at varying times
c) Eliminating Wi-Fi and HomePlug influences in tests

Hard to say much more.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Apr-18 11:55:17
Print Post

Can you do some speedtests on ThinkBroadband for both wired and wireless and post them here (direct links to them rather than just the single result)? Are particular times of the day worse than others (ie do you get good results in the morning and worse in the evening)? What speed is your router connected at - does your router stay connected consistently or do you see disconnects)?

Homeplugs can also be prone to interference depending on the environment in the premises so speeds could be variable and ideally you would also do some tests from the home plug as well to see if they are performing properly.

If you have a couple of devices (preferably windows or mac) then you could do some file transfer tests between them which will tell you what your network speeds internally are like.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Apr-18 12:03:15
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Also some people find that HomePlugs can cause interference with faster (FTTC/VDSL2) services.

Standard User ironnapper
(committed) Wed 25-Apr-18 12:05:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

Other point to note Andrew would be its the same walls etc as it was at install date and nothing has changed.

The wireless speed was 50 plus download on my phone too easily.

We were one of the first to be connected in the village, the only differences I see now, is that everyone else in the village is connected
Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Wed 25-Apr-18 12:25:32
Print Post

As this issue has got more problematic now that more people have got internet near you it's either crosstalk from other lines or wireless interference as more people are using wireless routers.

Either way it's hard to know which is the issue without seeing the line stats.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Apr-18 12:28:07
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

I seriously doubt crosstalk has dropped line speeds from 50 Mbps to 10 Mbps and less

Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Wed 25-Apr-18 12:34:30
Print Post

Indeed, my thinking is more towards wireless interference and using powerline adapters aren't helping either.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to