User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Inferno78
(member) Thu 24-May-18 15:51:45
Print Post

Home Hub 5 need help

[link to this post]

twitter account BTCare is run by a bunch of incompetent script readers

OK got that off my chest, can anyone help

i need to put my sons phone on restricted access on my home hub 5, i mean no internet between set times
the only problem is i cant get it to connect by DHCP, so i have to put it on a static IP on the phone, that's not a problem, its connects just fine....but, if its setup with a static IP on the phone, it doesn't show in the router (advanced settings> Home Network> devices), i cant find any way of seeing the phone within the router GUI, if i cant see the phone then i cant restrict its internet access
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-May-18 20:34:44
Print Post

Re: Home Hub 5 need help

[re: Inferno78] [link to this post]

Not that this of much help but a BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) has no such limitation and access control can be configured for devices regardless of whether their IP is static or allocated by DHCP. You could try obtaining a Smart Hub if you are unable to configure your Home Hub 5.
Standard User Inferno78
(member) Thu 24-May-18 20:40:05
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

even though that doesnt really help me its good to know that they changed things for the smart hub

its really frustrating for me at the moment and its a simple thing to do on almost every other router out there, but i cant help but think this is a serious security flaw, i could potentially have a 100 devices connected with a static IP and i wouldn't know about them

Edited by Inferno78 (Thu 24-May-18 20:41:01)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-May-18 21:06:19
Print Post

If you implement this, can he not use mobile data and/or use the BT WiFi hotspot?... There are also apps which can change the mac address depending on whether it's android/iOS or otherwise. Point is, restrictions of this kind usually result in a workaround of some sorts.

Just my two cents.

Also, devices configured with a static IP did display in my HH5. This was circa 2 years ago.

Also second point, all devices should generally work on DHCP unless faulty - perhaps the fact it does not work on DHCP is indicative of some kind of fault and hence it is not displayed when a static IP is utilized.
Standard User Inferno78
(member) Thu 24-May-18 21:19:51
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

he is 10, he doesn't have mobile data lol and because of his age is why i want to restrict his internet at night, he could connect to the hotspot but why connect at 4mb when he could be getting 60+

he is using an iPhone 5c in its most basic form, i don't like ios and i don't want to go messing with it, it could be a problem with the phone but he can connect to other routers via DHCP just fine

was your HH5 a business router or a residential router? ive had this router for 3 or so years and never been able to see any device connected via static IP (which makes it a real pain in the a** when trying to trouble shoot Raspberry pi's and oDroids)
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-May-18 00:46:30
Print Post

Homehub 5A or HomeHub 5B?
Standard User Inferno78
(member) Fri 25-May-18 12:56:06
Print Post

mine would be a BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 | Last updated 14/07/17
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-May-18 02:12:50
Print Post

Are you setting up the static IPs within the DHCP allocated range? Certainly this is known behaviour if so, and is due to the fact, anything within the DHCP range should only be allocated via DHCP. If you wish to have Static IP addresses, you can manually change the range, then setup the static IP outside of the range.

That being said, if I remember right, and I could be wrong (this may be a HH6 only feature), within the HH GUI you can specify the IP to always be utilised and leave the clients as automatically obtain the IP which is how I have always done this stuff. Manually playing with each client isn't a lot of fun for me, I rather the central management, and it is how I do things in business. Even some of the Cisco business stuff gets confused when you specify the Static IP on the client.

I suspect we are coming at it from two different angles, hence why we are seeing different results. Me configuring in the GUI vs you on the client side.
Standard User Inferno78
(member) Sat 26-May-18 18:38:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Are you setting up the static IPs within the DHCP allocated range? Certainly this is known behaviour if so, and is due to the fact, anything within the DHCP range should only be allocated via DHCP. If you wish to have Static IP addresses, you can manually change the range, then setup the static IP outside of the range.

i was yes, but even dropping the range from 192.168.0.2 - 254 down to 192.168.0.2 - 140 and setting my sons phone to 192.168.0.146 it still wouldn't show in devices even though it was connected

That being said, if I remember right, and I could be wrong (this may be a HH6 only feature), within the HH GUI you can specify the IP to always be utilised and leave the clients as automatically obtain the IP which is how I have always done this stuff. Manually playing with each client isn't a lot of fun for me, I rather the central management, and it is how I do things in business. Even some of the Cisco business stuff gets confused when you specify the Static IP on the client.

well that was the intention, to let DHCP allocate a specific IP every time they connected (in the 140's) but in order to do that i would need it to actually connect to the DHCP first, which it refuses to do, so i am pretty much screwed there

I suspect we are coming at it from two different angles, hence why we are seeing different results. Me configuring in the GUI vs you on the client side.

so far i have tried all angles and keep getting the same results, the only thing i haven't tried so far is throwing the router out the window

Edited by Inferno78 (Sat 26-May-18 18:40:25)

Print Thread

Jump to