User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User keithwjones
(committed) Tue 29-May-18 12:38:22
Print Post

BT Plus services

[link to this post]

Just had an email to say BT Plus services are available.

Broadband Price Freeze - keeping your broadband price the same for 18 months if you upgrade.

Price from month 19 currently £58.99 a month.

At present my speeds are 35.72 Mbps and 5.60 Mbps.

Anyone going for this?

Keith

Edited by keithwjones (Tue 29-May-18 12:39:09)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-May-18 13:30:03
Print Post

Re: BT Plus services

[re: keithwjones] [link to this post]

BT Plus is NOT going to boost your present speeds, the current incarnation is going to add 4G failover options

i.e. double data allowance on any BT SIM you have and if a fault when you report it mobile switches to unlimited and a 4G mini hub (Wifi only) is posted out.

Future versions will add the bonding using 4G to boost your speeds too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-May-18 14:00:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If you have a BT broadband connection you will probably already be on it.

I just checked our connection and its now showing up as Ultrafast 2 Plus where as before it had no Plus on it.

Basically the extra features don't help us at all, but people with a BT Sim will.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User keithwjones
(committed) Tue 29-May-18 14:12:31
Print Post

Thank you for you advice.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-May-18 19:28:19
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Ultrafast 2 Plus in your customer account section, or if you do an order check?

Two very different things.

And VDSL2 customers are not suddenly finding themselves on Plus, as there is a price difference and therefore only those who opt onto it get it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-May-18 20:39:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Ultrafast 2 Plus in your customer account section, or if you do an order check?

Two very different things.

And VDSL2 customers are not suddenly finding themselves on Plus, as there is a price difference and therefore only those who opt onto it get it.

Both, it shows up as available and also on our account, in fact I cannot see any packaged without the plus.

Paul

TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-May-18 21:04:30
Print Post

In which case if you have a fibre outage make sure to request your 4G mini hub

Standard User dsergeant
(member) Wed 30-May-18 07:02:23
Print Post

[re: keithwjones] [link to this post]

And for those of us on ADSL and no intention of going VDSL (and with no BT mobile) Plus presumably is irrelevant (certainly so at those prices).
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-May-18 07:33:14
Print Post

In which case if you have a fibre outage make sure to request your 4G mini hub

Well if the fibre went down, we would also loose phone service unless it was just a broadband outage, so I would have to use my mobile to phone BT, which is fine, but by the time BT sends out the 4G mini Hub, the fibre could already be up.

Surely it would be better for BT to already send that out so we could have it all set up ready for if an outage occurs.

Paul

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-May-18 08:57:14
Print Post

I'm guessing they don't want to leave millions of 4G routers in houses not being used when they can send a small number out at a time for current issues that then get returned when the issue is resolved?
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-May-18 08:59:43
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
I'm guessing they don't want to leave millions of 4G routers in houses not being used when they can send a small number out at a time for current issues that then get returned when the issue is resolved?

True.

I just noticed it only works with the Business and Hub 5 routers, well that sucks due to I no longer use that rubbish router.
The device is called "4G Assure" if anyone wanted to know and it connects to the BT hub.

*** Update ***
I just spoke to BT via Twitter and they said the following:
Hi Paul, once your fault is resolved, we’ll switch off the Mini Hub and you’ll need to go back to using your broadband hub as normal. We will provide you a prepaid delivery bag to send the Mini Hub back to us.

So I am assuming I would have to have my DHCP Server redirect all traffic to the Mini Hub while using it and then back to my Linksys Router once its all back up.

That's good to know smile

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Wed 30-May-18 12:01:27)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-May-18 12:38:27
Print Post

Mm different to what I've been told i.e.

4G Mini Hub only provides Wi-Fi connectivity i.e. it is just another 4G mini router in its own right.

Where is it saying it only works with Hub 5 routers, given the Smart Hub is the standard for new customers seems an odd thing

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-May-18 12:38:58
Print Post

[re: dsergeant] [link to this post]

Correct, no BT Plus for ADSL lines

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-May-18 15:44:25
Print Post

Mm different to what I've been told i.e.

4G Mini Hub only provides Wi-Fi connectivity i.e. it is just another 4G mini router in its own right.

Where is it saying it only works with Hub 5 routers, given the Smart Hub is the standard for new customers seems an odd thing

Here...
Business broadband with 4G Assure works exclusively with the BT Business Smart Hub and the BT Business Hub 5.

New to BT? Sign up to a broadband or fibre package with 4G Assure and we’ll send the BT Business Smart Hub with 4G Assure as soon as we confirm your order, so you can get connected using 4G straightaway.

Want to add 4G Assure to your current BT broadband? You’ll need a BT Business Smart Hub or Hub 5. It’s easy to upgrade your hub when you buy 4G Assure online.

But I have a feeling its not that which BT are referring to due to I cannot find a version for the home user, so I might be wrong.

Yeah I might be wrong, it is just a Wi-Fi to 4G device and doesn't require any Hub / Router.
What's the 4G Wi-Fi Mini Hub?

The Mini Hub is a device that uses a 4G mobile signal to connect you to the internet when you have a problem with your broadband. In a similar way to how you connect devices to your BT Hub, you can connect up to 10 devices, like your laptop and tablets. It will keep them connected to the internet at home.

The Mini Hub comes with an unlimited data SIM that will be active until we fix your fault. We won't charge you anything extra for the Mini Hub or the SIM.

The Mini Hub doesn' t have all the range and features of your usual BT Hub, as it's just to tide you over until we get you back up and running. You won't be able to connect devices that need wired access. For example, the BT TV box doesn't connect via wi-fi so you won't be able to connect it to the Mini Hub. However, you can still use the BT TV and BT Sports Apps to watch TV. Freeview channels will also continue to work on your BT TV set top box during a fault.

So in most cases its still useless due to most of our devices here are wired and not wireless.

Paul

Standard User Sylcol
(member) Wed 30-May-18 19:43:11
Print Post

Seems to me it would allow BT/Openreach longer to fix the fault because they would argue that you are still connected.

I was told that it would also mean you would get UK based help and priority with fault repair.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-May-18 19:44:36
Print Post

Everyone else is talking about the consumer services I believe

So quoting the business product notes is confusing things.

4G Assure on business is I believe different to the BT Plus options, i.e. its more of a plug in failover solution, i.e. something lots of consumer routers can already do.

Of course if your failure if the Business Smart Hub or Business Hub 5 (the two latest models) then having a device that hangs off it is not much use.

NOTE: The 4G Mini Hub with Wi-Fi can be made to work with Ethernet devices if you use an Ethernet Bridge e.g. https://amzn.to/2sx80Nt this Asus device that can be flipped between many modes. In terms of BT TV it may still not work due to the multicast nature of some IPTV channels.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-May-18 21:21:06
Print Post

[re: Sylcol] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sylcol:
Seems to me it would allow BT/Openreach longer to fix the fault because they would argue that you are still connected.

LOL, true.

In reply to a post by Sylcol:
I was told that it would also mean you would get UK based help and priority with fault repair.

Well FTTP products already get UK based support, so no change there for us.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-May-18 21:29:18
Print Post

Everyone else is talking about the consumer services I believe

So quoting the business product notes is confusing things.

4G Assure on business is I believe different to the BT Plus options, i.e. its more of a plug in failover solution, i.e. something lots of consumer routers can already do.

Yeah, I did do a quick search for BT 4G Mini Hub and was returned with the 4G Assure product, but then found the correct product when digging into BT's pages.

Of course if your failure if the Business Smart Hub or Business Hub 5 (the two latest models) then having a device that hangs off it is not much use.

Well I think the 4G Assure only uses the USB to power the device (I am assuming that is) which was why I originally thought they were the same.

But without seeing one its all guess work.

NOTE: The 4G Mini Hub with Wi-Fi can be made to work with Ethernet devices if you use an Ethernet Bridge e.g. https://amzn.to/2sx80Nt this Asus device that can be flipped between many modes. In terms of BT TV it may still not work due to the multicast nature of some IPTV channels.

This is true, but not really a fan of changing stuff due to I have it working as I want it.
But if it was a case of no internet or changing stuff, I probably would change the settings.

Paul

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-May-18 00:45:45
Print Post

I doubt the business 4G Assure service is using the Smart Hub for just power, as a backup solution it would make a lot more sense if it had its own power supply.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 31-May-18 08:39:43
Print Post

I doubt the business 4G Assure service is using the Smart Hub for just power, as a backup solution it would make a lot more sense if it had its own power supply.

Well it uses the USB for power from the business hubs plus it must mount itself as a device that the business hubs support.

https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/categories/guide...

Their YouTube Video which states it only works with their business hubs.

But since this isn't what is used for BT Plus I will leave it here.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Thu 31-May-18 08:40:48)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-May-18 10:47:29
Print Post

Yes the mounting is the important part, just like many third party routers have been able to do for ages on 3G/4G failover

So yes powered over the USB bus, but also data across the USB bus

The business hubs have different firmware to the consumer hubs, e.g. ping responses are possible

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to