User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User boranatty
(newbie) Thu 31-May-18 10:53:56
Print Post

BT 80/20 service

[link to this post]

I have been on BT 80/20 service for 22 months, until a month ago my router was showing the DSLAM connected at 80/20 and my d/l speed was around 74 MBps, I notice now that the DSLAM is now fixed at 74/20 with d/l speed at 65 Mbps, which is my minimum guaranteed speed from BT, and because of this they will take no action in looking into why the DSLAM is at 74 MBps.

Should I expect my DSLAM to be 80/20, my router is showing my SNR at 6db receive and 9bd send, with Line attenuation of 13db receive and 14 db send.

In the meantime BT offered me their ultrafast Fibre Plus product with 100 MBps only to discover this is a mistake on their website

TIA
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-May-18 11:02:17
Print Post

Re: BT 80/20 service

[re: boranatty] [link to this post]

DSLAM has not changed at all, what has changed is the speeds settled on during negotiation phase (sync) between modem at your end and the DSLAM.

It may be that cross talk is impacting your speeds, or something else maybe adding noise and slowing you down, or maybe before you had a lower target noise margin.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 31-May-18 11:02:35
Print Post

Have you just noticed a throughout drop, causing you to check? I ask because it is possible it has been affected by the huge lightning storm the other night, if you are in the affected areas.

If so, it may auto-correct. But that could take a couple of weeks to several months to never Iím afraid.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70370/12780Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User boranatty
(newbie) Thu 31-May-18 11:25:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, I have had the line checked and there is no noise on it, there is nothing else connected except the router, to the only socket in the house,so a bit of a mystery,Thanks anyway
Standard User boranatty
(newbie) Thu 31-May-18 11:28:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No the problem has been there for over 1 month,thanks for the thought though
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 31-May-18 11:45:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by boranatty:
Thanks, I have had the line checked and there is no noise on it, there is nothing else connected except the router, to the only socket in the house,so a bit of a mystery,Thanks anyway

Maybe no audible noise, but every line has noise on it and there will no no exceptions. The noise will go from 25kHz all the way through to 17Mhz and all of that will be outside anyone's hearing. Noise levels can be very small, however as the signal size can also be small, it does not take much to have an adverse effect on a line. There could be another customer added recently, or an existing customer has changed their modem, or a modem has been adversely affected by the recent storms ... all of which can have an significant effect.

A single noisy modem can easily cause a drop of 5 to 10 Mbps and there is very little you can do about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User boranatty
(newbie) Thu 31-May-18 11:54:16
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for this info
  Print Thread

Jump to