User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Tue 05-Jun-18 18:39:02
Print Post

Re: BT no longer supporting any client em,ail apps

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

My old Pipex email box still works too.

I still use some yahoo addresses from over the years. But also I setup a domain and email box seperately from any isp and this as been more reliable.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User radiomarko
(experienced) Tue 05-Jun-18 19:37:50
Print Post

[re: robmar0se] [link to this post]

BT pop/smtp servers have been very erratic for several years at least. Worse in the past 6 months. I only use it for a couple of odd things and BT announcements, but find that the servers time out regularly.

I'm often abroad, I made the mistake of accessing the box from a foreign IP. Result- locked out until I returned to the UK. Then it was a rat run of dead links and non functioning reset pages to get back in when I returned.

As it's for business buy a good domain and email service, the difference is night and day.

-.-. --.-
BT Infinity 2, HG612, Billion 7800N; 79987/19999 Kbps. Online since 1987. Macs since 1979. Dreambox fun. Advanced Radio Amateur Licence and an anorak.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-Jun-18 00:34:00
Print Post

[re: radiomarko] [link to this post]

I use TsoHost and 1&1. Both very reliable. 1&1 cheaper for some things, TsoHost better for help as UK-based with rapid response.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70370/12780Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 06-Jun-18 00:34:48)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jun-18 08:54:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

1and1 for me, used since the very early days of DSL , never any issue.

Standard User g3vzv
(newbie) Wed 06-Jun-18 09:49:56
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I have had this problem off and on for a long while..YMMV but it seems that their system looks at how many accesses it receives in a given period from different client devices/addresses and if this exceeds a set number then it either slows everything down to a crawl or just refuses to play. Webmail continues to work throughout all of this but nothing else will. Of course, frustration will make users check all their devices every few minutes and this means it never recovers.
My "advice" would be to switch off all automatic "every x minutes" checking for emails on all the clients that a user has on his tablet, smartphone and anything else and then see if, after a time, things come back to life.
It has worked for me using BT Yahoo with IMAP connections to Outlook, an I Pad and an android phone client - well its been ok for a couple of months or so..
Standard User mking90031
(newbie) Wed 06-Jun-18 16:58:58
Print Post

Hi,

I use 1 & 1 for my mailserver and can have as many email addresses as I like on as many domains as I like. This is much better than anything that an ISP or GMail or the ilk can provide. One of my pet peeves in life is businesses that actually use GMail and the like rather than a domain email address. IMHO it looks very unprofessional especially if the business has a website.

Back to the point of the OP....I wouldn't expect any ISP to support anything more than their webmail as there are too many email programs out there to give advice beyond configuring the mailserver address and login details. Do you expect BT (or any other ISP) to learn EVERY email program out there??? That would take up too many staff hours in training if they did....

HTH,

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jun-18 18:32:11
Print Post

My outlook.com email account is still successfully sweeping my BT email account.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Jun-18 18:50:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I use TsoHost and 1&1. Both very reliable. 1&1 cheaper for some things, TsoHost better for help as UK-based with rapid response.

I think we use to have a Rack Server with 1&1 a while back, but ended up moving for some reason.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Jun-18 22:13:55
Print Post

You could use Gmail which will work with email clients, and has a web interface. I use 123-reg email forwarding. So emails sent to addresses that end with my domain name are then forwarded to gmail, Plusent and a BTinternet a/c I use Thunderbird on my PCs
and can send via gmail, Plusnet or BT accounts.

I took a dislike to the BT spam filters after I didn't get an email about a holiday I heared of from Plusnet and subsequently booked.

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to