User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User robmar0se
(regular) Tue 05-Jun-18 15:42:59
Print Post

BT no longer supporting any client em,ail apps

[link to this post]

BT are flatly refusing to enter any dialogue with issues relating to email client systems if their webmail function is working.

We are experiencing syncing issues with MS Outlook and BT with a number of clients, where suddenly we are unable to receive emails, albeit we check webmail; and there are emails in out inbox. The "outage may happen for a couple of days or sometimes longer, before all of a sudden it works again. We have tried deleting and recreating accounts, changing passwords, none of which appear to resolve the underling problem. Its a waste of time trying to do anything from our end as it has no impact, Incidentally this happens on Windows 7 or 10.

Ofcom tells me that email is not part of their jurisdiction. so we are left to decide whether to dump BT, just dump their email, and either move to a domain or hotmail/gmail. Its strange that we have all these pseudo bodies a la Ofcom, Ofgem, Ofwat etc, but email notwithstanding significant security issues has no body to oversee this?

I just believe that BT is -passing the buck and really should be held to account - bet they would say this in their advertising blurb. "we only support webmail"
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Jun-18 15:54:16
Print Post

Re: BT no longer supporting any client em,ail apps

[re: robmar0se] [link to this post]

It might be Outlook that is the issue, are some people who use other email clients able to get things working?

Also are you using POP3 or IMAP4

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 05-Jun-18 16:10:50
Print Post

As well as MrSaffron's question, are you by any chance using non-secured links in the client to the mail servers? A lot of servers are now requiring you use SSL/TLS for security reasons.

It could be you just need to change that in your email client settings, but in my case one of my mail hosts also use different mail servers for SSL as opposed to non-SSL

Ports 110, 143, 25 and 26 will be non-SSL. Ports such as 993, 995 and 465 will be SSL.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70370/12780Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Jun-18 16:20:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
A lot of servers are now requiring you use SSL/TLS for security reasons.

True, apart from Plusnet who don't support SSL connections on their email servers at all. Not only is that unacceptable today, it was unacceptable years ago.

Proof, amongst other reasons, that ISP email is often left to neglect and is best avoided.

Oliver.
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Jun-18 17:27:30
Print Post

Worked for BT for 3 years, and we never supported email applications, if the webmail was working, we would give settings for the app and if it didn't work, and the webmail did that was the furthest we'd troubleshoot.

Edited by BuckleZ (Tue 05-Jun-18 17:27:47)

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Jun-18 17:28:48
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

On top of that, with services like GMail I'd never touch ISP email services.

Never had an issue with Gmail in all my years.

Standard User dsergeant
(member) Tue 05-Jun-18 18:01:54
Print Post

It may well be that BT are not interested in supporting POP3/SMTP/IMAP access to their email but they do of course provide the necessary servers (mail.btinternet.com) which have little to do with the webmail service. I have also found them unreliable, frequently timing out or not responding, there is clearly an issue and only BT can sort it.

Fortunately I have my own domain email but do have an old btinternet account I use occasionally and keep their SMTP server as an alternative to my normal one.
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Tue 05-Jun-18 18:02:02
Print Post

From 6 May 2016, we're changing the price of BT Premium Mail from £1.60 a month to £5 a month.
As we recently upgraded you, you'll still get all the helpful features you get today like unlimited storage for large files and emails, protection against online threats and access through webmail, smartphones and email programs. Not forgetting technical support whenever you need it at here.
This letter from BT a couple of years ago re my BT/Yahoo mail which even then was flaky with regular downtime, probably due to the hacking of Yahoo at that time. I rang the number quoted and the salesdroid immediately backed down and said I could have it at the old rate but I closed our account at once, moving to Fastmail. For less money, an excellent service with which I am 100% satisfied.
I have found similar examples of BT aiming for higher prices and hoping to get them by inertia. Like the 78-year-old widow whom I found stuck with BT Sport packages. She had no idea she had them, still less that she was paying for them as she has no interest in sport. I once had highest regard for BT, but no longer.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Jun-18 18:07:32
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

When I left BT they never closed down my email address (which was purely used as a throwaway). It makes me wonder how many people are paying for an email address which BT would have kept open for free anyway.

Oliver.
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Tue 05-Jun-18 18:20:20
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Sorry I should have added that mine is still working too! Now and again I try it out of curiosity and wonder that a big company could be so stupidly greedy. Mind you I thought BT Mail was the pits until I tried Plusnet's frown

Edited by Malwaremike (Tue 05-Jun-18 18:23:00)

Standard User bowdon
(committed) Tue 05-Jun-18 18:39:02
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

My old Pipex email box still works too.

I still use some yahoo addresses from over the years. But also I setup a domain and email box seperately from any isp and this as been more reliable.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User radiomarko
(experienced) Tue 05-Jun-18 19:37:50
Print Post

BT pop/smtp servers have been very erratic for several years at least. Worse in the past 6 months. I only use it for a couple of odd things and BT announcements, but find that the servers time out regularly.

I'm often abroad, I made the mistake of accessing the box from a foreign IP. Result- locked out until I returned to the UK. Then it was a rat run of dead links and non functioning reset pages to get back in when I returned.

As it's for business buy a good domain and email service, the difference is night and day.

-.-. --.-
BT Infinity 2, HG612, Billion 7800N; 79987/19999 Kbps. Online since 1987. Macs since 1979. Dreambox fun. Advanced Radio Amateur Licence and an anorak.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-Jun-18 00:34:00
Print Post

[re: radiomarko] [link to this post]

I use TsoHost and 1&1. Both very reliable. 1&1 cheaper for some things, TsoHost better for help as UK-based with rapid response.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70370/12780Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 06-Jun-18 00:34:48)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jun-18 08:54:33
Print Post

1and1 for me, used since the very early days of DSL , never any issue.

Standard User g3vzv
(newbie) Wed 06-Jun-18 09:49:56
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I have had this problem off and on for a long while..YMMV but it seems that their system looks at how many accesses it receives in a given period from different client devices/addresses and if this exceeds a set number then it either slows everything down to a crawl or just refuses to play. Webmail continues to work throughout all of this but nothing else will. Of course, frustration will make users check all their devices every few minutes and this means it never recovers.
My "advice" would be to switch off all automatic "every x minutes" checking for emails on all the clients that a user has on his tablet, smartphone and anything else and then see if, after a time, things come back to life.
It has worked for me using BT Yahoo with IMAP connections to Outlook, an I Pad and an android phone client - well its been ok for a couple of months or so..
Standard User mking90031
(newbie) Wed 06-Jun-18 16:58:58
Print Post

Hi,

I use 1 & 1 for my mailserver and can have as many email addresses as I like on as many domains as I like. This is much better than anything that an ISP or GMail or the ilk can provide. One of my pet peeves in life is businesses that actually use GMail and the like rather than a domain email address. IMHO it looks very unprofessional especially if the business has a website.

Back to the point of the OP....I wouldn't expect any ISP to support anything more than their webmail as there are too many email programs out there to give advice beyond configuring the mailserver address and login details. Do you expect BT (or any other ISP) to learn EVERY email program out there??? That would take up too many staff hours in training if they did....

HTH,

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jun-18 18:32:11
Print Post

My outlook.com email account is still successfully sweeping my BT email account.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Jun-18 18:50:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I use TsoHost and 1&1. Both very reliable. 1&1 cheaper for some things, TsoHost better for help as UK-based with rapid response.

I think we use to have a Rack Server with 1&1 a while back, but ended up moving for some reason.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Jun-18 22:13:55
Print Post

You could use Gmail which will work with email clients, and has a web interface. I use 123-reg email forwarding. So emails sent to addresses that end with my domain name are then forwarded to gmail, Plusent and a BTinternet a/c I use Thunderbird on my PCs
and can send via gmail, Plusnet or BT accounts.

I took a dislike to the BT spam filters after I didn't get an email about a holiday I heared of from Plusnet and subsequently booked.

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to