User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User furman
(experienced) Tue 26-Jun-18 15:39:47
Print Post

4G Assure Smart Hub (Business)

[link to this post]

Hi,
I have business fibre unlimited and a smart hub (hub 6). I wanted to end a spare line that had my fibre on it and transfer the fibre to an active line. No problem BT said, seamless transition next week. Unfortunately this morning, they had ceased the line and the fibre so no internet. I spend over 2 hours on phone and chat to get it sorted, finally agreed to activate the new bundle tomorrow instead of next week.

During the sales pitch for the new combined package, the rep tried to upsell me 4G assure for an additional £8 per month. I have been lucky and have not had any serious downtime in the 5+ years with BT so I rejected it.

4G Assure seems to be a good idea though as it plugs into the Smart hub and kicks in seamlessly if/when the connection is down.

Has anyone tried using their own 4g dongle with sim to do this? It seems pointless spending the money as the internet is very stable so for a one off maybe it is good.

---------------------------------------------------------
BT Business Infinity
Standard User clivers
(regular) Tue 26-Jun-18 21:04:48
Print Post

Re: 4G Assure Smart Hub (Business)

[re: furman] [link to this post]

We have just subscribed to BT Business and have got 5x of these at different locations.
You can't use your own dongle and the supplied one is tied to your hub! The dongle in question is a Huawei E3372 and has antenna connectors should you need them. The only down side is you need to use the [censored] BT Business hub! If you subscribe to 4g Assure you can use that until they reconnect the line! If you have unlimited usage then 4g assure is also unlimted. If you rely on an internet connection for your business then this is a no brainer. you can use your own equipment and just keep the hub and dongle for an emergency if you want.

On a side note we had a fault on a newly activated line and they were onto it straightaway as the hub has been on 4g 5 times. They had arranged a fault call before i had even spoken to them as they did not need to attend our premises.

Any other question do ask.

Don't forget you can activate customer Wifi on the hub (filtered openzone login with no password) if you want to offer customer Wifi for no extra cost.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Jun-18 08:50:58
Print Post

[re: furman] [link to this post]

If you don't want to use the BT Business Hub you could buy a router that has 4G failover built in and get your own SIM to use with it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User furman
(experienced) Wed 27-Jun-18 10:26:33
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

My fibre was activated this morning which is good, the problem is they took down my phone line so no calls. They have traced it to an exchange fault.

Fibre started off at 8d/10u but is gradually getting higher 15/10. The previous line was 60/15.

Regarding the 4G backup, I did have a monster Asus router connected to the BT openreach modem, the problem was my new Ingenico card machine refused to work over LAN. I spent weeks with Igenico and BT tech support. Only changing to the Smart hub worked. I have spotted a few alternative options with 4G backup but I don't know if they will work with the card machine.

---------------------------------------------------------
BT Business Infinity
  Print Thread

Jump to