User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User corsa57
(regular) Wed 27-Jun-18 22:39:33
Print Post

UPS

[link to this post]

I want to get a UPS to run my BT home hub 6 and my Arlo camera system.

As we get frequent power supply interruptions this would save me a lot of hassle constantly re syncing the Arlo cameras and of course they would continue to record and send footage to the cloud.

Can anyone advise on a make and model of UPS that would provide reliable safe service to do the aforementioned for a power cut of up to 12 hours.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 27-Jun-18 23:26:59
Print Post

Re: UPS

[re: corsa57] [link to this post]

You need to know the power used by the devices that will be connected and from that you can work out the size of UPS required.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User thomaswarne01
(member) Wed 27-Jun-18 23:36:57
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

https://www.vertivco.com/en-us/
they do good ups's

BT FTTP, 74Mbps down, 20Mbps up

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Jun-18 00:16:19
Print Post

Not checked but HomeHub probably 10W per hour and similar per camera

So if 3 devices, that is 30W was 12 hour, around 300W capacity needed

https://amzn.to/2yQQzO6 should probably suffice but need to check the power needed for everything you intend to run

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User danielhyde
(newbie) Thu 28-Jun-18 09:03:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Not checked but HomeHub probably 10W per hour and similar per camera

So if 3 devices, that is 30W was 12 hour, around 300W capacity needed

https://amzn.to/2yQQzO6 should probably suffice but need to check the power needed for everything you intend to run

That would run the devices perfectly but it wouldnt keep them powered for 12 hours. according to the APC calculator on the website it could run for 5-6 hours

if you use the calculator from the link below you should be able to find a device that suits your needs.

https://www.apc.com/uk/en/tools/ups_selector/home/de...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Jun-18 09:46:56
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

Probably forgot to factor in that you need to over spec since usually not possible to drain all the power from the battery unless its a LI-ION but that shoves the price up a lot.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Thu 28-Jun-18 12:44:15
Print Post

Stick with APC, ive got 6 of different sizes powering various bits of network gear spread around the house and never had a problem, also when you eventually need a new battery they are easy to get hold of.
Dont be tempted by cheaper ones, I had two Power Walker UPS and they were terrible, batteries didnt last at all, ended up throwing them out.
Standard User corsa57
(regular) Thu 28-Jun-18 14:47:20
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

Thanks to all that replied.

As I only require the Arlo base station and my BT home hub 6 to be powered by the UPS in the event of power failure I have taken Mr Saffron's advice and elected to buy the APC Back-UPS ES 700 - Uninterruptible Power Supply 700VA, BE700G-UK - 8 Outlets - Surge protected.

Time will tell if this APC unit is sufficient.
Standard User MrGimper
(learned) Thu 28-Jun-18 15:34:52
Print Post

I've read good things about CyperPower too...
  Print Thread

Jump to