User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jim_AFCB
(regular) Tue 07-Aug-18 07:04:24
Print Post

Issues with my domain

[link to this post]

Hello everyone,

I have my own domain, the server of which provides my webpage (updated every few mins automatically via FTP) and my email accounts.

A very annoying issue has cropped up where I lose access to my domain from my home connection.
I know it's not my hosting company, because I can still connect using my mobile using mobile data, and if I ask my friends, they can still access my website.
I, however cannot, my FTP fails as does fetching of email.

It is definitely a problem with my BT connection. But.. all other webpages load absolutely fine.

Rebooting my BT router solves the problem, though it may take 2-3 attempts to do so. It's annoying as it takes 5 mins for the router to start up and reconnect every time (is this normal?!)

This only started happening a few months ago but it's every other morning now. Seems to start failing mid-evening on most occasions.

I can't yet bring myself to phone BT support as I know I will only get a script monkey who will not understand my problem.

Can anyone give me any pointers? Could it be something that e.g. updating the firmware in the router might fix?
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Aug-18 08:55:41
Print Post

Re: Issues with my domain

[re: Jim_AFCB] [link to this post]

You could try flushing your DNS when it happens.

Are you using Googles DNS Server, your IP of the server might of changed for some reason, or maybe the DNS Server had issues updating like Googles DNS Server are run on several servers and if its not updated on all DNS Servers it would be hit and miss when trying to access.

Also when you connect to your server is it by IP or Domain ?

So when it next has issues try connecting via FTP using the IP address and also try flushing your DNS Cache.

To flush your DNS Cache on your PC type "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotes) in a command prompt.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User Jim_AFCB
(regular) Tue 07-Aug-18 12:18:40
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Thanks for your comments.

It's not my PC, its a problem on the router affecting ALL machines on my network, and all services to my domain.. FTP, POP, email, webpage.

I could try flushing the DNS on the router, I guess..... I'll have a look later and see if I can do that.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Aug-18 12:45:51
Print Post

Can you ping the site normally but not when the issue occurs?

If so, I would recommend tracing it at both times to see if the route changes.

Could the host be blocking your IP for a period of time and although you checked on another connection, if it was an IP block, that would work normally.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Aug-18 14:21:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by Jim_AFCB:
Thanks for your comments.

It's not my PC, its a problem on the router affecting ALL machines on my network, and all services to my domain.. FTP, POP, email, webpage.

I could try flushing the DNS on the router, I guess..... I'll have a look later and see if I can do that.

If its a bad DNS Cache it could affect all PC on your network, assuming they are using the same DNS Servers, hence me asking did you flush the DNS Cache, it a PC Cache not a router one.

Paul

TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Aug-18 14:25:28
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
Can you ping the site normally but not when the issue occurs?

If so, I would recommend tracing it at both times to see if the route changes.

Could the host be blocking your IP for a period of time and although you checked on another connection, if it was an IP block, that would work normally.

Matt

Maybe his server is blacklisting his BT IP (assuming his BT connection is dynamic) I know all the BT IP's I have had have all been blacklisted due to being dynamic and a few other issues.

So maybe his mail, ftp etc checks for blacklisting.

Paul

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Aug-18 15:12:15
Print Post

If the IP address is shared i.e. not uncommon with some economy hosting packages then it may be that another site is being blacklisted and you get caught in the fall-out

Usually if a domain query fails the thing to do is verify whether connectivity exists at the IP level.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Jim_AFCB
(regular) Tue 07-Aug-18 18:03:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks all.

If my hosting co has blacklisted (temporarily) my BT IP, then this would obviously affect all my services?
I initially raised a ticket with my hosting company and they said it was the router.... I may raise another ticket and ask them to confirm that there is no way that they are blocking BT IPs for any reason.

What would a ping come back with if my IP *was* blocked??

If I do a traceroute, what am I looking for?

A reply on the BT forum has suggested a complete reset of my BT hub. I'll wait on that for now and see what happens with the suggestions made on this forum.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Aug-18 18:38:09
Print Post

The suggestion was more that BT had added the IP to one of its block lists, not the hosting company.

A ping would come back with timeouts, so you need to
a) Know if the host responds to ping normally via IP address and via host name
b) Whether your hosting is a shared IP service or if you have a dedicated IPv4 address
c) Traceroute will eventually sit there timing out

If the DNS on the hub has been poisoned then just a turn off and turn on should resolve this rather than needing to reset to factory defaults

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Jim_AFCB
(regular) Tue 07-Aug-18 20:28:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew.

A reboot of the modem normally sorts it, but sometimes needs 2 or 3 attempts.
If I ping my www or ftp by name it comes back with an IP number. I will see if it, or my BT IP changes after a reboot next time the issue occurs.

I assume I use a shared IP service,.. I will ask them.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to