User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Perseid
(newbie) Thu 16-Aug-18 13:36:32
Print Post

Upgrading to fibre (FTTC)

[link to this post]

So we're upgrading finally and the new router has been delivered. Activation on Sat.

The documentation suggests we should plug in the new router tomorrow.

BT Broadband themselves told us to wait til we get an activation email.

Can anyone advise which is correct?

We'd rather leave old router in situ to maintain our connection til the upgrade then swap but we don't know if leaving it connected may affect the upgrade. That is, does the system check the new router is installed before completing the request?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Aug-18 13:46:35
Print Post

Re: Upgrading to fibre (FTTC)

[re: Perseid] [link to this post]

Makes no difference, if the old router does not support VDSL2 then it will simply stop working.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Perseid
(newbie) Thu 16-Aug-18 13:50:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew.

How long does the switch take? From what I can gather it doesn't seem to require any manual work just some provisioning on the openreach system.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Aug-18 15:12:02
Print Post

The switch involves an engineer attending the cabinet and switching the physical line, cutting of the ADSL/ADSL2+ signals and allowing the VDSL2 to be injected to the line.

So it does require manual work, just not at your home.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Aug-18 16:07:43
Print Post

So who is your current ISP, and what router do you currently use ?

Can you briefly describe your current set up, having it set up wrong can have a more detrimental affect than it would on ADSL.

The actual physical swap over should (hopefully) take around 20 minutes, with some loss of dial tone for a while also.

Standard User Perseid
(newbie) Thu 16-Aug-18 16:54:39
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

We're currently with BT Broadband. They offered us an upgrade to fibre essential unlimited for same cost as our current package. We could have left due to the rise but it's been ok except the speed (4.5mb down 0.1 at best up). Causes issues with multiple devices and working from home.

Currently have one of their routers but they've sent us a new one. Switchover is on sat and tbh we'll be out most of the day. But was really wondering if I could just install the new one now and have it pick up our current connection (thinking it'd be backwards compatible) to save me the job later on sat.

It's not really a big issue just one of convenience really.
Standard User Perseid
(newbie) Thu 16-Aug-18 16:55:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The switch involves an engineer attending the cabinet and switching the physical line, cutting of the ADSL/ADSL2+ signals and allowing the VDSL2 to be injected to the line.

So it does require manual work, just not at your home.

Ah right. I see. Didn't realise there'd be some physical work involved.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Aug-18 17:48:29
Print Post

Switchover is on sat and tbh we'll be out most of the day. But was really wondering if I could just install the new one now and have it pick up our current connection (thinking it'd be backwards compatible) to save me the job later on sat.

They have doubtless sent you a Home Hub 6, or 'Smart Hub" so yep, bingo, plug it in now, it'll work on ADSL and VDSL .... leave connected, and hopefully by your return on Saturday the Openreach fairies will have done their thing.

You didn't mention how your current set up was connected ... it is important to get the best from your new service.

Standard User dsergeant
(member) Thu 16-Aug-18 17:53:00
Print Post

I just did exactly the same a fortnight ago. The old router supplied for ADSL was a Hub 4 which does not support VDSL. I had been using third party routers but plugged the Hub 6 in as soon as it arrived. On switchover day the process took no more than 10-15 minutes - first the ADSL carrier disappeared, a little later when presumably he (or another chap) got the to cabinet the phone displayed 'no line', five minutes or so later once the phone line came back it automatically connected to the new fibre signal as if nothing had happened and all was fine - 39Mbs download here, which seeing I am nearly 1km from the cabinet I am very pleased with.

Not sure how long I shall leave the Hub 6 connected before I switch to my Billion router which also supports BT VDSL, guess it won't be long...
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Aug-18 17:55:23
Print Post

Didn't realise there'd be some physical work involved.

Your current ADSL service comes from an exchange housed DSLAM, it's maximum sync rate would be 24 meg, and has the length of the pair from there to your property to slow it down.

The engineer will have the details of your line, *should* attempt to call your contact number to say they are about to start the transfer .... ID your current E and D in the street cabinet, prove the allocated FTTC tie pairs from the fibre fed DSLAM (up to 80 meg now) and connect through after testing sync. So not only is the signal faster to start with it should (hopefully) have less far to travel, from DSLAM to your router.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to