User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User trooper744
(newbie) Tue 25-Sep-18 23:13:14
Print Post

Broadband Connection

[link to this post]

Hi

Can anyone help, Iíve been told my broadband connection should come from the master phone socket rather than an extension socket, as it helps with signal strength.
There is no master socket just a BT cable in the hallway by the front door of my house, needless to say I shanít be putting my computer hub in the hallway so it is near where the BT cable is.

What type of cable would I need to run from the BT cable to my hub, also would I need to run another cable from it for my telephone??

At the moment Iím with Virgin Media but should I decide to change from them in the future I would like to at least having any cabling in position ready.

The cables will be run under the floor boards and may come into contact with power and lighting cables.
The reason I want to put the cables in now is because the house will be having new carpets and decorating.
The distance from the BT cable by the door to my hub is 24 feet.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Sep-18 06:13:12
Print Post

Re: Broadband Connection

[re: trooper744] [link to this post]

Run cat5 cable between the two points, leaving a coil of maybe a couple of 100mm coming up through the floor boards at either end.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 26-Sep-18 08:44:25
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

And keep it well away from all power cables?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 72623/13368Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Sep-18 08:46:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yep, that too Bob.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 26-Sep-18 09:08:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by trooper744:
The cables will be run under the floor boards and may come into contact with power and lighting cables.
Do not run the Cat5 close alongside power and lighting cables.

When current is running they generate a circular magnetic field round themselves, which can seriously upset DSL. A few inches away should be fine.

If they must cross, as near to at right-angles as possible is best.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 72623/13368Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 26-Sep-18 11:50:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by trooper744:
Hi

Can anyone help, Iíve been told my broadband connection should come from the master phone socket rather than an extension socket, as it helps with signal strength..

That may be true, but the difference in signal strength by adding 8 metres will be miniscule considering the distance it has already travelled. And then doing as you are considering, putting a cable from the master to a remote location, will be doing exactly what you are trying not to do! So, what do you gain?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 26-Sep-18 12:24:52
Print Post

Iíve just realised, we haven't directly answered your phone question. As long as the installer of the phone line wires it straight through, and you are meaning ADSLx or FTTC, then only the one cable is needed.

If it would be FTTP then itís a completely different type of installation and the existing BT wiring possibly redundant depending on whether you required a copper or VOIP type connection for the phone. Considerable disruption of some kind would be inevitable with either option on FTTP.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 26-Sep-18 12:26:43)

Standard User richarddawson
(experienced) Wed 26-Sep-18 19:03:44
Print Post

I would strongly suggest installing your router as close to the master socket and then running cat cables to your computers.

I knowe you have said you don't want to, but for what reason?
Standard User trooper744
(newbie) Wed 26-Sep-18 23:40:34
Print Post

Hi Guys

Thank you all for your valued replies,

MHC Iím certainly no expert on what cables should or shouldnít be used for the application I may need it for.
When I said it may affect the signal strength, itís only something Iíd read, so thought it best to come this forum and find out.
I donít do gaming of any sort so as you said I doubt I will be able to tell the difference, so thank you for telling that itís one thing less for me to bother about smile

Richarddawson
The set up I have at present is, my computer tower is wired to the hub and likewise for my printer so I certainly wouldnít want to run those cables all the way from the router (hub) in the hallway to my study upstairs at the back of the house and I donít want to connect them wirelessly.

Now promise you wonít laugh; my wife has got an old laptop which she sometimes uses to connect to the internet and as Iím hopeless when it comes to computers I got my son to set it up wirelessly for me.
What can I say, it kept dropping out and I had to keep asking him to set it up again and again but it still kept dropping out, in the end he said it needed a booster in the room where the laptop was.
We put a booster in, ok it worked for a while but then it started dropping out again.
By this time Iíd had enough so I went on e-bay and rightly or wrongly bought some cat 6a cable complete with the connectors on each end, stuck one end into the hub and ran under the floor to downstairs connected it to the laptop and bingo it doesnít drop out any more.
As you can see the laptop, tower and printer are all hard wired to the hub, thatís why I donít want it in the hallwaysmile

RobertoS
If you read my reply to Richarddawso youíll know youíve blown me away, ADSLx, FTTC, FTTP, VOIP.
Iíd have to scan the internet in the hope I can find out what you are talking about, can you run that by me again please only imagine your talking to someone that hasnít a clue what all these type cables are, as I said to Richard I bought cat 6a cable for the laptop, it was just a complete gamble if it was the correct cable but it seems to have worked.

Again, this is only what Iíve read; but I understand there are shielded cables out there to buy which can help prevent electro magnetic currents from affecting broadband cables.
The master plan was to run a telephone cable and an ethernet cable from the master point in the hallway under the upstairs floor back to the study where the hub and telephone is.
Iím only putting the cables in place should I need to change providers.

At present the setup provided by Virgin is; I have is a telephone point in the lounge together with its base and another phone in the study which connects wirelessly to the one in the lounge, donít ask me how it just does.
There is also a Virgin connector for my broadband again in the lounge all these cables come into the house underground, optic fibre I believe.
Ok back to the broadband cable in the lounge there is a plate on the wall and the nearest I can describe it is, itís like looking at a TV coaxial outlet the data cable or ethernet cable screws into it from there it is buried into the wall up to the ceiling where it travels under the floor into the study at the back of the house and terminates at another plate on the wall much like the one in the lounge.
There is a cable which screws into this plate and the other end screws into the hub and this is what I am using to communicate with you guys.

So, in a nutshell what cables do you fellas think will be ok for my needs, that is for my telephone and also for my broadband??

If I use shielded ones for the computer side of things should I buy it with connectors already fitted to each end I donít want some engineer sometime in the future saying I canít fit connectors to that cable mate??

What sort of cable will I need for the telephone??

Do I buy the phone cable again with connectors already fitted??

What are the connectors called, only so I donít go and buy the wrong thing???

Thank you once again fellas for your time and help

Trooper
Standard User trooper744
(newbie) Thu 27-Sep-18 10:07:21
Print Post

Hi Guys

I think Iíve got it wrong about the connectors on the end of the cables as they will be terminated at the back of the face plates ie no connectors required.
I assuming whatever cable is used it will not be a problem to terminate, no doubt someone can put me right.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to