User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User scopio
(committed) Thu 14-Feb-19 14:38:34
Print Post

HUB 6 keeps disconnecting

[link to this post]

Hi, my neighbours, a few streets away from me, received a new HUB 6 from BT about 3 months ago and since then the hub seems to disconnect/looses internet connection and then come back again after a while this did not happen with the previous hub (sorry do not know which one they had before) they are on ADSL at the Droitwich exchange.
I'm going to their house later to test the phone line for any noise as a first diagnostic.
How can I extract the line stats from the Hub 6 if at all possible?
They have a wireless printer which seems to have been affected by the constant loss of communication with the laptop.
Any other diagnostics that I should be able to carry out to see what is causing the hub to disconnect periodically?

PC Full Tower - Self Build OS Windows 10 64bit Laptop Dell Inspiron 1545 - OS Windows 8.1 Home Premium 32bit Stardock8
ISP was O2 All Rounder now PlusNet Unlimited Broadband SamKnows Whitebox connected on 14:02:2013
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13669...
http://speedtest.net/result/2668600210.png
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Feb-19 21:09:46
Print Post

Re: HUB 6 keeps disconnecting

[re: scopio] [link to this post]

Stats available via http://192.168.1.254 in the browser ...

Youíll need the admin password from the same card as the wifi details ...

Advanced settings tab

Technical log tab

Should give you the usual stuff, attenuation, SNR, etc.

The event log may have some useful detail ??

After this itís start with the usual, is it all plugged in correctly, no unfiltered devices, no noise on the line

Standard User scopio
(committed) Thu 14-Feb-19 22:04:32
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks Zarjaz, will look at the stats and event log next time I visit.
Things seem to have gone very bad since connecting the new Hub 6 and connecting the laptop and printer via WI-FI. I have now connected the Hub 6 to Ethernet rather than wireless to see if it disconnects. The disconnections seems to have affected the Epson ET-2600 printer which was connected via WI-FI and now has some issues that did not have before with the older Hub but has with the new Hub 6, it just prints a few lines of characters that don't make any sense, instead of the document it is supposed to print such as a Word document! It will print a never ending number of pages, the more I put in the more it will print, even though there are none in the queue and the printer has been powered off and on again and when I try to scan a document it displays a message to wait till the scanner has finished although there are no scans in progress!
I have uninstalled the printer and all printer software that comes on the installation disk and reinstalled the printer and software and connect it via a USB cable again rather than WI-FI, but it has not solved the issues.
And Gmail can send but not receive! It may all be coincidence?
I have raised a ticket with Epson for the printer issues and I'm waiting for a response.

PC Full Tower - Self Build OS Windows 10 64bit Laptop Dell Inspiron 1545 - OS Windows 8.1 Home Premium 32bit Stardock8
ISP was O2 All Rounder now PlusNet Unlimited Broadband SamKnows Whitebox connected on 14:02:2013

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Feb-19 07:20:00
Print Post

Could it be that the router isnít dropping the connection coming in, but rather that some interference to the wifi coming from the new router is the issue ?

I use a Hub 6 at home and find it rock solid.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Feb-19 09:14:45
Print Post

Some devices may be flapping between the 2.4GHz and 5 GHz band...

Solution there is to name the two frequencies with different SSID and then teach a device to only connect to one

If a device is in range for the 5GHz that is the best one to use as less prone to interference from neighbouring networks

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adamtemp
(experienced) Fri 15-Feb-19 11:10:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

As above have split channels on home hub 6 and plusnet hubs to resolve Wi-Fi dropping

GLOBALNET now part of madasafish now plusnet With The same isp since 1995 ( now all part of BT) 80/20 fttc on xdb trial cabinet
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Feb-19 12:16:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah we did that also which helps organize wireless devices, like if a device only supports 2.4GHz it will use that and if it also supports 5GHz we set it up to use 5GHz.

That way its all balanced.

Paul

Standard User scopio
(committed) Fri 15-Feb-19 12:42:49
Print Post

Thanks all for your input.
The first thing I did was test the line for noise, both on the master socket test socket and at the extension upstairs where the Hub is connected and both tests passed with no noise.
The issues in this thread are from an elderly couple (I do not have a BT account or a Hub 6) who although they can surf the net and use the laptop when it comes to something more complicated such as this, they are not that savvy and for that matter neither am I. What worried me was a thread in the BT Community where the poster did not have much joy with the same issue even when a replacement Hub 6 did not resolve his disconnections.
The Hub 6, the laptop and the printer, which are the only devices which they use are less than 4 feet apart on an ďLĒ shaped worktop, which is why I told them that connecting the devices with Ethernet is a better proposition than wireless. They donít need wireless other than when their children and grandchildren are visiting, I suppose.
Anyway, on my next visit I will access the HUB 6 stats, logs and rename the 5GHz SSID as others have advised to make sure this issue does not happen in the future.
As for the printer issue I will have to wait a couple of working days to see what Epson advises and will post back next week when I have further info.
Thanks all for your input, it is much appreciated.

Edited by scopio (Fri 15-Feb-19 12:54:06)

Standard User scopio
(committed) Fri 15-Feb-19 19:49:22
Print Post

I have been back to my elderly neighbours today and since I connected the Hub to the laptop with Ethernet the connection is solid. I am now wondering if their disconnection issues was the printer disconnecting as they changed the previous Hub with the new one and that changed the settings on the printer!
I have changed the SSID for the 5GHz band but as it happens their laptop WLAN adaptor is not capable to receive 5GHz frequency.
Reason for the change of Hub was that they received a call from BT but I am unclear about what the conversation was about but it looks that BT have upgraded their package. The couple tell me that they were on a basic BB package and Anytime calls I'm no expert but don't these stats show that they are on FTTC?
Their stats are;
Product name: BT Hub 6A
Serial number: +084316+NQ71224804
Firmware updated: 22-Dec-2018
Board version: 1.0
Gui version: 1.64.0
DSL uptime 1 Days, 1 Hours 6 Minutes 12 Seconds
Data rate: 4.33 Mbps / 29.43 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 4333 / 29000
Noise margin: 6 dB / 2.9 dB
Line attenuation: 25.6 dB
Signal attenuation:
VPI / VCI: 0/38
Modulation: G_993_2_ANNEX_B
Latency type: Fast Path
Data sent / received: 8235 MB Uploaded / 8743 MB Downloaded
Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi: Active
2.4 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6-xxxx
2.4 GHz wireless channel: Channel 11
5 GHz wireless network name: xxxxxx-5
5 GHz wireless channel: Channel 40
Wireless security: WPA2 (Recommended)
Wireless mode: Mode 1
Firewall: On
MAC address: A0:8E:xxxxxx
Software variant:
Boot loader: 7.33.1

As far as the Event log is concerned the only disconnection I can see and there are too many to post on here, the log itself is over 9500 lines long;
19:13:12 28 Dec. eth2:An Ethernet port is now connected (3/100/FULL)
19:13:09 28 Dec. eth2:A device has been disconnected from an Ethernet port (3)
08:59:36 30 Dec. eth2:An Ethernet port is now connected (3/1000/FULL)
08:59:33 30 Dec. eth2:A device has been disconnected from an Ethernet port (3)
08:28:31 30 Dec. eth2:An Ethernet port is now connected (3/100/FULL)
08:28:28 30 Dec. eth2:A device has been disconnected from an Ethernet port (3)
12:23:21 30 Dec. wl1.1:Device <08:C5:E1:64:CB:C8> was disconnected on SSID (Device/WiFi/SSIDs/SSID[WL_REDSIDE_O1_2G])
12:23:21 30 Dec. wl1.1:A WiFi device <08:C5:E1:64:CB:C8> has successfully connected to SSID (Device/WiFi/SSIDs/SSID[WL_REDSIDE_O1_2G])
including today but I did notice any disconnections!

Edited by scopio (Fri 15-Feb-19 22:53:48)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Feb-19 21:47:31
Print Post

Yes they are on FTTC

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to