General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Mar-10 04:23:49
Print Post

The BT FTTC line stats thread

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

Watching the BT FTTC rollout is very exciting. It appears BT are being extremely conservative on their line checker, fair enough as it's a new product.

I thought something that would be very interesting to see would be people who are activated (of which there are a few that I can see around various forums) would be to post their line stats with a rough distance from the cab so we could see what potential speeds are like either when BT allow higher speeds themselves or if LLU providers are allowed to override the sync speeds.

I have no idea personally how one would be able to obtain the stats, but if some kind person could find out and get a compilation of stats and line distances, we could work out roughly what top speeds would be available which is of interest to all.

Edited by mr_mojo (Sun 21-Mar-10 04:24:03)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 21-Mar-10 21:23:34
Print Post

Re: The BT FTTC line stats thread

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

having the same equipment (?) in each case should make the comparison reliable, and you only need to find one set of instructions on how to access the stats.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Mar-10 21:36:41
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

At the moment, they will all be using the default Openreach modem/router thingy (training later on this week), So that will be a standard for the moment. More difficult, is folk trying to establish, accurately, the length of their D-side.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 21-Mar-10 23:28:17
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

be interesting to see if the user interface of the Openreach modem is open to the user, its a Huawei I think.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Mar-10 00:59:22
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yes I'm aware of this. It's by no means an exact science, and I'm not saying we should set out with that intention. More really just of curiosity that may be somewhat helpful for people smile. I also guess that interference will hurt speeds exponentially more on VDSL2+, since there's so much data going down that ol' bit of rusty copper.

I've done searches every week or so on Google and various forums hoping that someone will have figured it out and posted up some stats; but no success so far. Someone get the ball rolling - even if it's just letting us know what model and make the modem is so we can start investigating how to get the stats out so people can start posting them.

I'm happy to graph them all and stick them into Excel once we've got a few results.
Standard User uno
(member) Mon 22-Mar-10 01:09:35
Print Post

We've got a few connected with the best being 39.8Mb with 10Mb up. I'll see if I can get the exact stats from the user smile

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Our current offers
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Mar-10 01:16:58
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Thanks very much Matt. Do you know what make/model the modems are?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 22-Mar-10 07:43:13
Print Post

made by Huawei, HG612 I believe - "VDSL2 Home Gateway Customized for Britain Telecom" (sic)

looks to include wireless (?)

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User msjw
(newbie) Mon 22-Mar-10 11:42:21
Print Post

Here you go;

Distance from cab. ~200-300 meters.

Best speeds achieved (though a speed tester [mybroadbandspeed.co.uk] - 37.7Mbps Down, 1.9Mbps Up (Currently capped - regrade ordered to get 10Mbps)

Actual results from engineer's test equipment at socket - 39Mpbs Down, 15Mbps Up

At the cab. speeds (tested by engineer) - 39.5Mbps Down 15.5Mpbs Up.

Availability checker reports - 19.5Mpbs Down, 7.7Mps Up

ISP/Package - BT Business Total Broadband Fibre ('plus' on order)

Equipment;
* Huawei EchoLife HG612 VDSL Modem
* 2Wire 2701HGV-C Wireless router (b/g only) - the router doesn't appear to report sync speeds or line stats anywhere, so I can't quote those.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 22-Mar-10 11:53:29
Print Post

[re: msjw] [link to this post]

the router doesn't appear to report sync speeds

it won't, it's a router. You would need to talk to the modem for that. Does the 2Wire have an external IP address ?

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to