General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gr0mit
(newbie) Thu 24-Jun-10 08:52:38
Print Post

FTTC slowing down in Basingstoke

[link to this post]

Well, I have FTTC in Basingstoke. Has anyone noticed it slowing to a crawl during the football and other peak times?

I can get the full 38ish mbit offpeak but during the day it seems that BT just do not have enough backhaul to cope.

Is this just me or are others noticing the same?

Rgds

Best Regards
Tim Robinson
TxRx Communications Ltd
www.txrxcomms.co.uk
Standard User lumuah
(newbie) Thu 24-Jun-10 12:33:07
Print Post

Re: FTTC slowing down in Basingstoke

[re: gr0mit] [link to this post]

I seem to recall on another Basingstoke thread that someone had a similar problem because they had exceeded the 100GB/month limit.

BT throttle you to about 1Meg or less during peak times, and return you back to normal speeds when peak time is over.

Could that be the reason?
Standard User gr0mit
(learned) Thu 24-Jun-10 13:01:31
Print Post

[re: lumuah] [link to this post]

Well this is not BT Infinity, it is FTTC via Openreach and A N Other provider. They are blaming lack of capacity within Openreach as they claim their links are generally not congested. I beleive them.

Best Regards
Tim Robinson
TxRx Communications Ltd
www.txrxcomms.co.uk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Thu 24-Jun-10 13:03:35
Print Post

The only magic of FTTC is between the consumer and the exchange.

At the exchange Openreach hand over to whichever wholesaler/LLU ISP the consumer subscribes to. At the moment the only offerings are through BT Wholesale.

They feed it straight into the WBC system, with no dedicated capacity. So the congestion experienced in the backhaul and at the ISP's servers is just the same as if it were BT-based ADSL2+.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User gr0mit
(learned) Thu 24-Jun-10 13:07:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

So probably blockages in BT Wholesale then rather than Openreach - as they do the backhaul from Basingstoke to A N Other internet.
Anyone else seeing blockages?

Rgds
T

Best Regards
Tim Robinson
TxRx Communications Ltd
www.txrxcomms.co.uk
Standard User panda
(member) Thu 24-Jun-10 13:10:41
Print Post

Most of the UK apparently: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4283-world-cup-of...

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 24-Jun-10 15:47:46
Print Post

the Openreach bandwidth to the exchange from the FTTC is assured / uncontended so it must be the next link on from the exchange that's the issue - if they use BT Wholesale it could be that, or they may have their own connection. Nothing to stop a SP having 100M at the exchange and 2000M of assured rate FTTC connectivity connected to it.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 25-Jun-10 14:47:28
Print Post

Have a look at TTTS and a few checks that SEB and I did - during one match. That congestion was down to another carrier - not BT. Without looking at your link all the way back, you cannot say where the congestion is occurring.

I have been using several BT links during the past few days and whilst latency increased they were providing 90% or better of their normal capacity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Fri 25-Jun-10 14:50:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by gr0mit:
Well this is not BT Infinity, it is FTTC via Openreach and A N Other provider. They are blaming lack of capacity within Openreach as they claim their links are generally not congested. I beleive them.
How would it be congestion within Openreach?

They lose control of it when they hand it over to BT Wholesale at the exchange, where it goes into the bog-standard screwed-up WBC system.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User DougM
(member) Fri 08-Jul-11 14:37:17
Print Post

Hi Tim,

Out of interest have you got premium on your line? I'd consider paying the additional if it really made a difference, but not if it turns out to be ineffective at dealing with this type of congestion.

-==-
DougM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to