General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bsod
(committed) Thu 30-Dec-10 20:38:21
Print Post

BT DLM & sync speeds

[link to this post]

An odd one here. Occasionally, I get disconnections on my adsl, probably a few times per week. I'm guessing this behaviour is realtively normal, given the fact that it's a ropey old system that BT use.

Sync speed is around 18mbps with 1mbps up, all was fine and dandy up until recently ... when sync speed was fine and the usual 18mps but noticed that I was getting no more than 1mbps download (upload was unaffected).

Trying all speed test sites, it was apparent there was some issue, onto the BT speedtester, and it said my IP profile was 1250kbps - nowhere near my sync speed. Contacting the ISP, they said that BT's DLM kickingin and that it should up the speed automatically once there's been a good period of around 5 days and that they can only get BT to manually reset it once there has been constant sync of 5 days crazy.

1mbps is pretty pants, and obviously the line isn't really too usable if you try and do many things at once.

Are the sync speeds and ip profile related? If there is sync at xmbps then surely it should be assigning me a profile closer to the sync speed?
It seems a bit crazy for the system to assign a profile that is 1/18th of the sync speed?
And why would it suddenly do it now, when it has been fine for months?

Many thanks.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 30-Dec-10 20:52:14
Print Post

Re: BT DLM & sync speeds

[re: bsod] [link to this post]

Have a read of my explanation of BT IP Profiles.

Then have a browse on that site in BT Noise Margins, BT DLM and Troubleshooting.

Then you will have a good idea of what is going on and maybe some clues to what caused it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User bsod
(committed) Sat 01-Jan-11 04:05:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you. I've had a read and my stats are as follows:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 18049 kbps 1059 kbps
Line Attenuation 22 db 5.5 db
Noise Margin 6 db 7 db

Are these any good?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 01-Jan-11 09:43:25
Print Post

Those are great. Please can you do another BT speed/performance test and post the full results as far as the upstream speed. The load of text after that is useless.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User bsod
(committed) Sun 02-Jan-11 00:05:59
Print Post

For whatever reason, the upstream test isn't working for me. But here's what's on the screen

"
[Graphical representation as green/grey bar]

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1007 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 800-2000 Kbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 1250 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 12.03:22.2:65.77 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
"
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Jan-11 10:19:51
Print Post

What did the BT test say about the connection speeds?

As it didn't do a upstream test, please can you post the whole set of results then, including the garbage, in case there is some unusual wording.

The bit above the wording should look like this:-

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1186 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 800-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1868 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 9.93:25.99:64.14 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
350 Kbps

0 Kbps 444 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 350 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 444 Kbps

Standard User bsod
(committed) Sun 02-Jan-11 15:08:04
Print Post

Well, it seems that DLM has bumped the speed back up again to its usual position, so I'm a happy man -- but how long will it last .

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
17320 Kbps

0 Kbps 21000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 17320 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 4000-21000 Kbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 15000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 17.56:23.06:59.39 (SBE:NBE:PBE)

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Note: An Upstream test was not conducted on this line due to a technical issue. If your concern is related to upstream performance then please retry
the performance test again in 1 hours time.

Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results.

Edited by bsod (Sun 02-Jan-11 15:08:42)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Jan-11 15:13:18
Print Post

Ah well, OK now then. Took a long while though, should be sooner rather than later for a large increase.

Wierd that upstream message. I wonder if that's on your line or general. Will have to wait and see what any others look like.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Jan-11 15:13:27
Print Post

Re: BT DLM & sync speeds *DELETED*

It scored twice.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 02-Jan-11 15:14:28)

Print Thread

Jump to