General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bobby_Valentino
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Jan-11 17:45:33
Print Post

Stuck IP Profile

[link to this post]

Does anyone know how to reset an IP profile so it can adjust itself to the correct profile based on the sync speed? Is this done through the ISP? What do they do on thier end when they 'reset the ip profile'?

TIA.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 10-Jan-11 20:22:38
Print Post

Re: Stuck IP Profile

[re: Bobby_Valentino] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bobby_Valentino:
Does anyone know how to reset an IP profile so it can adjust itself to the correct profile based on the sync speed? Is this done through the ISP?

Yes

In reply to a post by Bobby_Valentino:
What do they do on thier end when they 'reset the ip profile'?

Firstly they claim to not know what you're talking about.
Then they say it can't be done.
After weeks (or months) of arguing they put a request through to BT, who promptly ignore it.
OK; that's what actually happens.
What should happen is they immediately say "of course Sir", issue a request to BT who action it within a day or two and your profile gets reset (of course; that's in an ideal World, and we don't live in one of those).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User panda
(committed) Mon 10-Jan-11 20:28:26
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

The 'request' is automated directly to BT's systems and usually involves little more than clicking on a button by the ISP - assuming their systems are interfaced appropriately.

Eats shoots and leaves.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 10-Jan-11 20:44:58
Print Post

[re: panda] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by panda:
The 'request' is automated directly to BT's systems and usually involves little more than clicking on a button by the ISP - assuming their systems are interfaced appropriately.
Are you sure you aren't thinking of the recently introduced SNR reset procedure, which a user should only request with care as it can have undesirable side-effects?

Even that facility many ISPs are unaware of.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User panda
(committed) Mon 10-Jan-11 21:32:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

CCSNR (Customer Controlled SNR Reset) has been available to ISPs for a while. (Sept?) and is requested via an electronic interface.

All it does is reset in the same manner as if it were a new provide e.g. SNR set to 6dB, MSR/FTR recalculated, so I'm not sure why it should be problematic.

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 10-Jan-11 21:44:30
Print Post

All it does is reset in the same manner as if it were a new provide e.g. SNR set to 6dB, MSR/FTR recalculated
Precisely.
so I'm not sure why it should be problematic.
Because there have been several instances of it being used to try to correct low connection speeds that have been nothing to do with the noise margin being abnormally high.

These have been cases with ongoing background noise which has suddenly arisen after years of high speed, or other causes of low speed such as deteriorating cable joints. The result of the reset has been to reset the MSR/FTR based on the low speed.

The effect of that is that the ongoing low sync is then well above the "incorrect" new FTR and the user has zero chance of any further investigation.

All it should do is reset the SNR. It should not reset the MSR/FTR. Doing that assumes it will only be triggered by people who understand what they are doing. There are some, but far more who don't.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User panda
(committed) Mon 10-Jan-11 21:52:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Doing that assumes it will only be triggered by people who understand what they are doing. There are some, but far more who don't.
My understanding is was intended to be used after the problem has been resolved and will even be automatically instigated if an SFI investigation has cleared a network fault.

If it's being used incorrectly, that's an issue with the ISP shirley?

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 10-Jan-11 22:06:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Doing that assumes it will only be triggered by people who understand what they are doing. There are some, but far more who don't.
My understanding is was intended to be used after the problem has been resolved and will even be automatically instigated if an SFI investigation has cleared a network fault.

If it's being used incorrectly, that's an issue with the ISP shirley?
Again - I agree entirely. The fact is that I have seen several cases of it being used inappropriately.

You also assume that all SFI clearances of network faults are valid.

Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Mon 10-Jan-11 22:43:58
Print Post

You also assume that all SFI clearances of network faults are valid.

can you elaborate on that bit bob haha

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband
Standard User michaelkenward
(newbie) Tue 11-Jan-11 09:34:34
Print Post

[re: Bobby_Valentino] [link to this post]

Isn't there some trick with disconnecting from the ISP several times in a row?

Can't remember the details. Google/Bing may help.

I find that the IP Profile adjusts itself over time. If it is wrong for you, and can do better than the current settings, then it will eventually improve. By eventually, I mean within days.

The connect/disconnect thing is a way of provoking a reset.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to