General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MacTaff
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Mar-11 21:11:33
Print Post

OT: Cabling attached to house - long shot

[link to this post]

Apologies for this not really being DSL related but as this section is frequented by the knowledgeable BT employees and it could BT Wholesale related .....

I have some cabling attached to the facias on my house which comes out of the ground at one end of the row of houses and re-enters the ground after a smaller building attached to my house. The installation does not look abandoned like another set of cabling I know belonged to Radio Rentals.
I need to get the facias replaced and my builder is nervous about disturbing this cabling so I am trying to work out what it is so I can contact who owns it. The cable is an inch or two in diameter and is either armoured or at least well shielded. There is what appears to be a junction box at the one end with Relay Exchanges Ltd on it (you can see a pic of the box here - ignore the EMI box, that's the Radio Rentals one).

Does anyone have a clue if this would be BT related and if so the best way to contact them about it?

Thanks in advance.
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Fri 11-Mar-11 21:20:29
Print Post

Re: OT: Cabling attached to house - long shot

[re: MacTaff] [link to this post]

It is not anything to do with BT, It looks like an old shaired master tv system, where the operator would provide an aerial socket in the home. The box looks like a tap off the larger cable being the trunk feed and the smaller cables the feeds to each socket.
If you take the top off the box it should all be co-ax cable inside.

These systems were often provide in areas of poor reception, but repeator transmitters made them redundant.
Standard User orly
(experienced) Fri 11-Mar-11 21:53:11
Print Post

Google suggests: http://www.aeolian-hall.myzen.co.uk/mvb.htm

If it's the thing being talked about in that page, it's well obsolete.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
Connected to: P23 Kilmaine Road, Bangor, BT19 6DT (NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Previously:
BT Broadband, roughly 4mbit sync
4KM line / 54dB atten / 9dB SNR / Netgear DG834GT

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MacTaff
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Mar-11 22:33:05
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

Thanks chaps.
I never thought that the smaller cable could be fed from the larger one via the EMI boxes. The box is on the house at the other end of the row so may have to pop round and ask if I can take a look inside, that's if they didn't already spot me aiming a big zoom lens at their house and think I am a weirdo smile
Standard User btbert
(member) Sat 12-Mar-11 17:35:01
Print Post

as per others its not BT kit for sure.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
Standard User ggremlin
(member) Sat 12-Mar-11 18:26:09
Print Post

a quick search of "Relay Exchanges Ltd" finds this page; http://www.rediffusion.info/Post_Office_Relay_Licenses/

which includes specifically
S.W. Yorkshire Radio [,] Relay Exchanges, Ltd. (dont know if thats local to you or if they sold boxes...)

does look to be part of an old rediffusion system
  Print Thread

Jump to