General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pbaker38
(newbie) Sat 02-Apr-11 15:46:34
Print Post

21 WBC Date

[link to this post]

our local exchange had a date for the end of march 2011 for 21 WBC noted on Sam knows. This was also showing on the BT checker. Then at the end of Jan / Feb out of the blue its not showing up at all on either site like its been completely removed. i Tried to contact open reach they wouldn't help and also my ISP but didn't seem to know what was happing either.

The other thing is though if i go to www.adsl24.co.uk and put in my exchange into the wbc checker its showing between feb & apr 2011. Do you think this is correct or they are using old data seeing as the BT & samknows one isnt showing anything.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 02-Apr-11 15:52:24
Print Post

Re: 21 WBC Date

[re: pbaker38] [link to this post]

Which BT checker? Infinity, or http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome ?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User pbaker38
(newbie) Sat 02-Apr-11 16:42:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

its not the infinity one its this one: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

the exchange im reffering to is belstead, suffolk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mrpwick
(newbie) Mon 04-Apr-11 14:42:16
Print Post

[re: pbaker38] [link to this post]

I have the same question.
Using the above address checker I get this from BT:-

For Telephone Number 01569****** on Exchange STONEHAVEN

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2Mbps and 5.5Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Note: If you already have a Broadband service enabled on this line and you want to switch service providers, you will need to contact both your current provider and your new provider to get your service changed over new and existing service provider to have this service transferred.

The date given for on ADSL24.co.uk is now "Stonehaven Go live date for ADSL@+ is now 1Feb 2011- 30 Apr 2011. (it was originaly "Spring 2011")

My current D/L speed is anything from 0.9 -4.5 Mbps

Can someone please explain what all this means and will I get faster Broadband on or before 30.4.2011? My house is 1.2Km from the exchange.

Edited by mrpwick (Mon 04-Apr-11 16:20:40)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 05-Apr-11 11:38:25
Print Post

[re: mrpwick] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mrpwick:
My current D/L speed is anything from 0.9 -4.5 Mbps

Can someone please explain what all this means and will I get faster Broadband on or before 30.4.2011? My house is 1.2Km from the exchange.
If you post the line stats from your router, see here for help, we can estimate fairly accurately what you will gain from WBC/ADSL2+. The little bit you have given doesn't really help, as that variation in download speed indicates either a problem or a congested connection at some point.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User mrpwick
(newbie) Tue 05-Apr-11 15:41:36
Print Post

Is this what you need?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 5408 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 29.0 db 14.0 db
Noise Margin 6.0 db 20.0 db
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Apr-11 16:16:15
Print Post

You are already underperforming, so something not write with the line as it stands now, i.e. probably an internal wiring issue.

Line is around 2.5km long, and 29dB attenuation even with ADSL should go a lot faster. I manage that sync speed on a line with 45dB attenuation i.e. 3.5km to 4km long.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 05-Apr-11 17:14:03
Print Post

As MrSaffron says, you have a problem somewhere with the connection itself, which may or may not be the cause of the fluctuation in download speed. We need to look at getting that sorted.

With it sorted, you would probably connect at the full 8Mbps with download speeds of well over 6.5Mbps possible, depending on ISP.

On WBC/21CN when it comes your connection speed then would be 13-16Mbps. As things stand you wouldn't get anywhere near that unless your current problem is the exchange equipment.

Do you get frequent disconnections?

Do you have a master socket where the bottom half of the faceplate comes off, like this?

Got to go now. Back later.

Standard User mrpwick
(newbie) Tue 05-Apr-11 21:14:04
Print Post

No, I don't have a Master socket like that. I don't get frequent disconnections. My ISP is Demon. My router is connected to a telephone socket in my study - I think the master socket is downstairs.

Obviously, I need help. But cut me a bit of slack guys - I'm 70 years old!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 05-Apr-11 21:50:03
Print Post

I'm 70 years old!
I defer to age, being a mere 66 tongue.

On the other hand I have had a lifetime in computers and an educational background in maths and physics, (et al). So maybe I have an unfair advantage smile.

Do you feel at all confident in opening up the socket you believe to be the master - usually the first one after the line enters the house? If so, please have a look at this page and tell us if it looks like the top on on the left, or the one next to it. If neither, a photo would be great.

If it is the second one, that isn't the master and we could do with you finding it.

I'm looking at curing one of the most common problems people have.

Do you have a Sky Box, and if so is it on a filter, or perhaps the extension for it was hard-wired in by the installer? Have you got a phone-connected burglar alarm? Do you use a plug-in phone extension cable?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to