General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User polemonkey
(learned) Sat 04-Jun-11 21:48:13
Print Post

Re: interferance on phone line

[re: draveneo] [link to this post]

High resistance disconnection on one or both of the copper (or aluminium) wires which carry dial tone and adsl to your premises from the exchange. Usually caused by corrosion in a joint somewhere.
Standard User draveneo
(newbie) Sat 04-Jun-11 21:59:16
Print Post

[re: polemonkey] [link to this post]

As i havent had much luck with the open reach should i get a differnet phone engineer to try to fix the problem or do they not have permission to look at bt phone line. Thanks
Standard User polemonkey
(learned) Sat 04-Jun-11 22:01:27
Print Post

But before that if you answer my question dude smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User draveneo
(newbie) Sat 04-Jun-11 22:03:49
Print Post

yeah i meant cordless, i have tried a normal phone but still have the same terrible noise. thanks
Standard User polemonkey
(learned) Sat 04-Jun-11 22:10:48
Print Post

Good, well not good but at least it eliminates that possibility.
Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(experienced) Sat 04-Jun-11 22:47:14
Print Post

yep it pretty much has to be openreach that look into suspected faults in the network... since they own it.

You can have your own 'engineer' check everything in your property back to the NTE5a or master socket, if you hire someone try and make sure their actually qualified, not just a sparky that dabbles in telecom...
Standard User polemonkey
(learned) Sat 04-Jun-11 23:16:23
Print Post

A word of advice when you report this fault (again)...

Someone said it's hr dis on the line. This is one possibility but not the only one. Another possible cause of this is a faulty line card or dslam port in the exchange.

Whatever the cause OR will need to look at it, the only problem is if you report it as a pstn (voice) fault then the engineer is only going to investigate the the line from a "voice" perspective i.e. basic checks and line test WITHOUT your router plugged in. The engineer will not have the time or authority to investigate beyond that remit. A hr dis will only be detected with an end-to-end test, such as a pair quality test, which may or MAY NOT be done by the voice engineer, depending on what kit he has.

I you report the problem as broadband at least you will be guaranteed a pqt and the engineer will have time to investigat properly and also will be allowed to change dslam ports if this is found to be the problem.

By the way, what did you report the fault as the 1st time round?

Edited by polemonkey (Sat 04-Jun-11 23:18:10)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-Jun-11 23:55:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by draveneo:
i just tried the line test you provided unfortunately she said there was no problem as well.
Eh She said what? She's just a menu system. She's says nothing but just lets you to listen to silence hopefully.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(experienced) Sun 05-Jun-11 01:05:36
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Unless she's called Zoey.
Standard User draveneo
(newbie) Sun 05-Jun-11 10:34:05
Print Post

Hi thanks for your reply, i reported it as a phone problem not broadband. The next step that sky have told me is too buy a new micro filter as the ones i have tried are from sky and apparently they are of poor quality. If the problem is still there after that i will take your advice and report it as a broadband fault. Thanks again
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to