General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User actionorton
(newbie) Fri 26-Aug-11 10:36:11
Print Post

2 x ADSL with 2 different speeds

[link to this post]

HI
First post for me on here, so please go easy smile

I have had Sky broadband unlimited now for 2-3 eyears and have always had around 3mb to 3.5mb download speeds.

About 3 months ago i added a 2nd ADSL line from BT, and have been getting speeds of around 2.5mb to 3mb speeds.

however in the past month my BT line has stayed the same speed but my Sky speed has dropped to 1mb - 1.5mb

I have contacted sky and even had an engineer out, but they cant find anything wrong?
The BT engineer suggested that the only thing they could do was maybe run a new line to the property, but there was no gaurantee that this will work?

The drop in speed happend over night and was not gradual, has anyone any ideas?

the 2nd line in my house seems to piggy back the first line can this be done, could this be an issue?

Any assistance would be great.

I was not around when the engineer came to the house so I could not ask him any questions.

Thanks
Standard User Pokerdaz
(newbie) Fri 26-Aug-11 11:02:16
Print Post

Re: 2 x ADSL with 2 different speeds

[re: actionorton] [link to this post]

Hi,

I actually have exactly the same problem. I had two telephone lines supplied by BT and used one of them for broadband with Virgin, which I used to get a constant 2.4 Mbps. Our exchange was recently unbundled so I used the second line to go with Sky and changed to BT on the other. This gave us better usage when the kids were at home!!

Both lines were on a consistent 2.4 Mbps day and night until recently when the Sky one dropped and now fluctuates to as low as 0.6 Mbps at any time of the day, despite being connected at 2.8 Mbps. It is impossible to use the new Sky Go as it is constantly buffering. I was always able to stream easily up to this point. I now have to wait at least an hour before I can watch an Anytime plus movie whereas before it used to be about 2 minutes.

I have changed channels, swapped filters, unplugged all other equipment and still the problem exists. Could Sky have a problem at their end as it would seem I am not alone.

The piggy backing is not a problem apparently, as I did originally have problems with my one line and asked this very question, but told categorically that it isn't so.

The BT line is still absolutely constant at 2.4 Mbps with hardly any variation at any time.
(newbie) Fri 26-Aug-11 11:12:00
Print Post

[re: Pokerdaz] [link to this post]

What makes it worse is that when i ordered sky originally it said that i could go on their Sky Unlimited package, which i took and have been using fine.

However when i go on to Sky and run a line check to see what speed i can get it says 0.8 to 4.5 however it then says i can only get Sky Connect as i am out of the sky unlimited area?
If i run the same check on the BT line it says 2 to 5 and I am ok to use Sky Unlimited?

am i over reacting or is there something not right?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Aug-11 07:32:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by actionorton:
however in the past month my BT line has stayed the same speed but my Sky speed has dropped to 1mb - 1.5mb

I have contacted sky and even had an engineer out, but they cant find anything wrong?
The BT engineer suggested that the only thing they could do was maybe run a new line to the property, but there was no gaurantee that this will work?

The drop in speed happend over night and was not gradual, has anyone any ideas?

In reply to a post by actionorton:
am i over reacting or is there something not right?

Please post the full router stats (connection speed, attenuation, noise margin, etc.) from both lines.

It could be the two lines are different (maybe one has a lot of aluminium in the cable, or takes a different route back to the exchange).
It's also possible the different speeds are the result of nothing more than different 'target margins' on the two lines.....If one is aiming for 6dB, yet another is at a higher margin, they will connect at vastly different speeds.
It could also be a line fault, or maybe there's more internal phone wiring (in your home) on the lower speed line.

It could be anything, but let's start with the router stats.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sat 27-Aug-11 23:47:19
Print Post

As adebov says the router stats will be useful. See http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php for guidance.

They may also reveal which Sky product you are really on.
(newbie) Sun 28-Aug-11 10:06:22
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Hi Adebov

here are the details for both lines.

BT Home Hub 3
ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.3 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 3.5 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 55.8 dB / 31.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 15.3 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 318171295 / 2122
CRC Events (Down/Up): 520828 / 194
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 292464 / 232
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 99146 / 256

Sky Unlimited
Netgear Router
System Up Time 17:01:53
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 1575 1451 0 4 7 17:01:03
LAN 10M/100M 3894 0 0 9 0 17:01:50
WLAN 11M/54M/108M 6878 18409 0 23 13 17:01:42

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1333 kbps 510 kbps
Line Attenuation 59.5 db 39.2 db
Noise Margin 9.3 db 10.0 db
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-Aug-11 16:25:30
Print Post

OK; the two lines are about the same length (assuming the Sky one is using ADSL2+, which general gives a line attenuation a few dB higher than the same length line using ADSL1 or ADSL2).
The BT line is using ADSL2 (G.992.3 is ADSL2; G.992.5 is ADSL2+).
Quite often, with lines of this length (it's probably around 5km long) modems will connect at a slightly higher speed on ADSL2, rather than ADSL2+.

Reason 2 is the Sky line has a noise margin of 9dB, compared to 3dB (although the target is probably 6dB) for the BT line.
This will produce a speed difference of around 1Mbps (give or take maybe half a meg).

You haven't posted the connection speed for the BT line in the stats, but I assume it's the faster of the two.

I'd ring Sky and ask the to put you on a 6dB "target noise margin", which should go most of the way towards equalising the speeds.

Also remember the routers will connect at the fastest possible speed which produces a noise margin equalling the target, so with the same target and re-syncing at the same time should produce similar speeds.
Anything else (either different targets, or syncing one line at night and the other during daylight) will produce different connection speeds.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Sun 28-Aug-11 16:28:50)

Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Sun 28-Aug-11 16:58:22
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adebov:
OK; the two lines are about the same length (assuming the Sky one is using ADSL2+, which general gives a line attenuation a few dB higher than the same length line using ADSL1 or ADSL2).
The BT line is using ADSL2 (G.992.3 is ADSL2; G.992.5 is ADSL2+).
Quite often, with lines of this length (it's probably around 5km long) modems will connect at a slightly higher speed on ADSL2, rather than ADSL2+.

Reason 2 is the Sky line has a noise margin of 9dB, compared to 3dB (although the target is probably 6dB) for the BT line.
This will produce a speed difference of around 1Mbps (give or take maybe half a meg).

You haven't posted the connection speed for the BT line in the stats, but I assume it's the faster of the two.

I'd ring Sky and ask the to put you on a 6dB "target noise margin", which should go most of the way towards equalising the speeds.

Also remember the routers will connect at the fastest possible speed which produces a noise margin equalling the target, so with the same target and re-syncing at the same time should produce similar speeds.
Anything else (either different targets, or syncing one line at night and the other during daylight) will produce different connection speeds.

Generally sky will not work with 'target noise margins'

They prefer to apply a sync speed cap.

Obviously it works in the same way.

E.g. if sky see the line is performing badly and is currently synced at 5 meg...

With most ISPs the target noise margin is increased from 6db to 9db

With Sky, instead they place an artificial cap on the line at say 3.5 meg. The line cannot sync higher than this unless Sky increase the cap. Even if you 'force' the noise margin down with custom firmware it will not go higher.

Generally this means that if you sync at 7pm you get a 3.5 meg speed.

Sync at 10am, still 3.5 meg.

If you sync at 10am the noise margin might be 11db when you sync, with a 3.5 meg sync

at 7pm, you still sync at 3.5 meg, however the noise margin may only be 8db

The difference is the noise margin isn't a 'target' as such. The only thing Skys DLM is concerned with is sync speed. Same goes with customer services, they will increase the sync speed cap, but not the noise margin target generally.

EDIT: obviously lowering sync speed increases the noise margin naturally.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 28-Aug-11 17:01:51)

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-Aug-11 17:06:04
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Strange cap (1333kbps) and just a coincidence the margin has turned out at 9dB I guess.
Surely such an unusual sync speed (1333kbps) can only be a result of syncing according to a target margin?
I'd understand if the sync was 1250 or 1500, but 1333kbps???

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 28-Aug-11 17:17:48
Print Post

If you logon to mysky.sky.com, the link for My Broadband will say what package you're on.

Looks like you're on Sky Unlimited but your connection is suffering with noise from the other BT broadband.

You really need to ask sky to uncap your line and put you on the gaming profile and see if they will put you on g.dmt or ADSL2 instead of ADSL2+, or see if the router will let you choose that.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to