General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User schander
(newbie) Fri 16-Sep-11 13:02:50
Print Post

Connection speed increase?

[link to this post]

Hi,
I have noticed over the last 2-3 months that my connection speed has been increasing.
I have ADSL2+ connection with Merula (don't think the isp matters here). My router is a DG834G v3 (i think).
My connection has been around 2.4Mbps ever since i got adsl, 4+ years ago, the bt checker says that the connection should be between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps. Some stats about my connection:
Downstream UpStream
Line Attenuation 62 db 18 db
Noise Margin 3 db 17 db
Over the last 2-3 months the speed has been increasing going from 2.4Mbps to what I got last night which was 4.0 Mbps.
I just wondering why my speed has been going up, not that i'm complaining or anything.
Could it be related to my area (Bedford) getting Infinity (which I can't get, but that another story!)?

Thanks
Satpal
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Sep-11 13:27:25
Print Post

Re: Connection speed increase?

[re: schander] [link to this post]

Check the sticker under the router and it should have the version number smile

There's a chance that BT have replaced some old wiring or carried out some other work which has improved your line. Do you keep an eye on your lines attenuation and your sync speeds to see how they have changed?

EDIT: It looks like you may have a default TSNRM of 3db which is a fairly new thing available on ADSL2+ So if your line has been running clean this could have been reduced from 6db which will increase your connection speed/sync smile

Edited by b4dger (Fri 16-Sep-11 13:29:43)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Sep-11 13:30:36
Print Post

[re: schander] [link to this post]

If the 3dB noise margin is from shortly after restarting the modem, and the connection speed is 4Meg, then suggestion is that you are now on 21CN WBC ADSL2+ and ISP/BT Wholesale has elected to give you a 3dB target noise margin to improve speeds.

In short its not ADSL2+ giving you more speed, but the way they manage the product.

62dB attenuation and 4Meg is pretty amazing, when it used to be said that the limit for even 2Meg was just 41dB.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User schander
(newbie) Fri 16-Sep-11 14:03:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If the 3dB noise margin is from shortly after restarting the modem, and the connection speed is 4Meg, then suggestion is that you are now on 21CN WBC ADSL2+ and ISP/BT Wholesale has elected to give you a 3dB target noise margin to improve speeds.

In short its not ADSL2+ giving you more speed, but the way they manage the product.

62dB attenuation and 4Meg is pretty amazing, when it used to be said that the limit for even 2Meg was just 41dB.

The modem has been up to almost 8 hours and current connection speed is 3621kpbs. The 3500+ seems to normal for the last couple of weeks.
I didn't checked what the noise was last night when I got the 4 meg connection. Will remember to check when i get the 4 meg connection again.
I have to admit though netgear is a pretty solid router and I have rebooted it manually twice in the last year...

Also it must be a v3 router as I have V4.01.06 firmware which looks as though it was a v3 only firmware, infact there is a new version showing, might upgrade it later.

Thanks for your responses.
Satpal

Thanks
Satpal
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Sep-11 14:44:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
it used to be said that the limit for even 2Meg was just 41dB.
I would've thought that 41 dB was about the limit for 8 Meg.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Sep-11 14:47:08
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Not the word USED, i.e. between 2000 and 2006 41dB was the limit for 2Meg services (or was it 43)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User geordiekris
(experienced) Sun 18-Sep-11 15:38:27
Print Post

thought it was 39 myself

i can say whatever i want as i no longer work for the [censored]!
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Sep-11 16:07:08
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

As far as I can remember, MAX services never had a limit, as they were rate adaptive.

Only the fixed rates had limits.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User Ribble
(member) Sun 18-Sep-11 16:41:01
Print Post

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-Sep-11 18:14:44
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

I never said the service had a limit. only that a particular speed was only achievable below a certain approx. attn.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to