General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User don9999
(regular) Wed 21-Sep-11 14:14:25
Print Post

How does BT Decide which exchanges to install FTTC

[link to this post]

I live in Cwmbran, in South Wales - it's probably about the fifth largest town in Wales.

According to SamKnows, there are approx. 20,500 residential premises and 1000 non-residential premises.
Yet BT STILL have no plans to install FTTC in this area frown

To make matters worse, I am right on the extremity of the town, so I can only just about achieve 1Mb/sec broadband. So am pretty desperate for FTTC.

BT have announced lots of exchanges, with their latest announcement (sept 13th) listing exchanged that will have FTTC by Autumn 2012.

But 'my' exchange is so much bigger than many of the quoted exchanges.
eg. Castleton, Gwent is due to be upgraded and it only has about 1,500 premises!

How does BT decide on exchanges. I assumed they would pick the biggest (and hence potentially most proftable) exchanges, and many of the English and Welsh exchanges will be bigger than my local ones. But Cwmbran is still big. Why isn't it even in the current plans....?

Cheers,
Don
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Sep-11 14:36:42
Print Post

Re: How does BT Decide which exchanges to install FTTC

[re: don9999] [link to this post]

If we knew the answer we would have written a prediction program.

With coverage planned to reach 66% by 2015, then plenty of time before panicking. Took 10 years to get ADSL to almost all exchanges.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User don9999
(regular) Wed 21-Sep-11 15:44:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In the meantime there is the £1,000 government grant.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any useful options.

From what I have seen, there are satellite broadband providers that can install equipment that can provide up to 10Mbs download speeds.
Up-front capital would be covered by the grant.

But then on-going monhtly costs 'start' at £24.99 for 6Mbs but only 4Gb data limit.
To go to 10Mbs download, and a more reasonable (but still very low) 25Gb monthly limit would cost £99.99 per month!

So satellite broadband is not a feasible alternative. (We only currently pay £5-£10 per month for unlimited downloads). Accepted we only have a 1Mbs capability, but even if it were 8Mbs, the cost would be the same.

I guess I need to investigate the possibility of my estate coming together and getting a third-party company to install a community alternative.
Is there any particular place I could look for such companies?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Sep-11 16:44:15
Print Post

To be honest with the BDUK stuff coming around and the Welsh Assembly you are best making a representation to your local assembly member to assertain what their plans are.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TesterForum
(newbie) Mon 24-Oct-11 08:08:45
Print Post

Re: How does BT Decide which exchanges to install FTTC *DELETED*

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Post deleted by TesterForum
Standard User LA7
(newbie) Wed 20-Mar-13 20:07:15
Print Post

I know this is a old thread but parts of cwmbran now have fttc see my thread here http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4218627-ftt...
  Print Thread

Jump to