General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kritifile
(member) Wed 05-Oct-11 10:11:51
Print Post

No WBC date, incorrect market designation for THDC?

[link to this post]

I moved last year from a Market 3 to a Market 2 exchange. Deepcut, Surrey (THDC) had a date for WBC of October 2010 then, and only had BT and Virgin in thne exchange.
At present the exchange servers 3,250 residential customers and 91 businesses, but a very large develepment is due soon when MOD land is sold for building.
A few months ago Sky and TalkTalk moved into the exchange. This means that there are now 4 providers, which, according to BT designation, makes it a Market 3 exchange. But according to SamKnows it is still Market 2.
As a Market 2 exchange even being upgraded by BT to ADSL2+ is unlikely and FTTC is out of the question.
It just happens that my line stats show that I should benefit from ADSL2_, but I don't want to move to Sky and certainly not to TalkTalk! I can't use Virgin because the landlord of the flats I live in, having arranged for Sky points in every flat when built, refuses permission for them to be linked to Virgin. So I am stuck with 'up to 8 mb' BTW, as is everyone else who uses BTW in the area.
The BTR people seem unaware that my exchange is not WBC enabled. I was told over 3 months ago that I would be put on ADSL2+ but that's impossible because the exchange isn't enabled for it. When reporting poor sync speeds recently I was again told I'd be moved to ADSL2+ by yesterday. That can't be done by BTR when BTW hasn't enabled the exchange.
As I know more about broadband than the BT Internet support people, I get absolutely nowhere when I report a drop in sync speed from 7100 to 6300 over the last 56 montrhs, with my stats remaining the same. According to them somebody forgot to switch me to WBC when all other customers on the exchange were switched, but there is no evidence of WBC ever being enabled and I can find no sign that it will be.

Does anyone know who to contact in order to have the exghange reclassified as Market 3, at least?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Oct-11 12:25:12
Print Post

Re: No WBC date, incorrect market designation for THDC?

[re: kritifile] [link to this post]

Change of Market Classification is when OfCom announce that an exchange is to be re-classified. It isn't "automatic" in that it changes in real time as LLU operators enable it.

The last review I'm aware of was published 3 December 2010 and I cannot find any later version. So all you can do is contact OfCom. They have a form on their website somewhere.

(Edit - typos).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 05-Oct-11 13:19:19)

Standard User kritifile
(member) Wed 05-Oct-11 12:55:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info.
It's likely that more LLU providers will move in and changing classification could speed that and persuade BT to enable the exchange for ADSL2+ in order to compete.
I'll have to hunt for the reclassification form. I don't know why no ISP has filled it as Market 3 exchanges charge them less I believe.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Oct-11 13:28:06
Print Post

I didn't mean a specific form, just a contact form. But it looks like there are only complaint ones . You may need to send snail-mail as they don't appear to have an email address for the public to use.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Oct-11 18:27:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by kritifile:
I moved last year from a Market 3 to a Market 2 exchange. Deepcut, Surrey (THDC) had a date for WBC of October 2010 then, and only had BT and Virgin in thne exchange.
At present the exchange servers 3,250 residential customers and 91 businesses, but a very large develepment is due soon when MOD land is sold for building.
A few months ago Sky and TalkTalk moved into the exchange. This means that there are now 4 providers, which, according to BT designation, makes it a Market 3 exchange.

Virgin Media's cable network doesn't use the telephone exchange, so its probably not included in the rating.

You have Sky, TalkTalk and BT, so its 3 providers at the actual Exchange.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User kritifile
(member) Wed 05-Oct-11 19:14:26
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
A few months ago Sky and TalkTalk moved into the exchange. This means that there are now 4 providers, which, according to BT designation, makes it a Market 3 exchange.

Virgin Media's cable network doesn't use the telephone exchange, so its probably not included in the rating.

You have Sky, TalkTalk and BT, so its 3 providers at the actual Exchange.

Virgin has been listed as being in the exchange since long before I moved to the area covered by it. Until a few months ago THDC had, officially, one provider listed, Virgin, as available in some areas, as BT isn't included. It is assumed that BT is in all exchanges. Information obtained from SamKnows. BTW Virgin is offering ADSL2+ for people outside the cabled roads from this exchange. BT has never enabled WBC. It set a date for it, the date passed with nothing happening, then no WBC date was given, The area is growing but BT is moving backward. I'm waiting to see if they disable Max as BTR think it was ADSL2+ enabled by BTW at least 2 months ago (the time that TalkTalk and Sky moved in)..
Standard User gmoorc
(member) Wed 05-Oct-11 20:07:13
Print Post

It just happens that my line stats show that I should benefit from ADSL2_, but I don't want to move to Sky and certainly not to TalkTalk!

Don't forget the Talk Talk resellers who will provide different combinations of usage, line management and customer service.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Oct-11 22:36:19
Print Post

Virgin has been listed as being in the exchange

No, it is not. Samknows states that Virgin is available as Cable Broadband in some areas served by the exchange, not that it is in the exchange. Virgin cable has nothing to do with ADSL or BT exchanges and has no effect on the exchange's "market" designation.
Standard User ionic
(experienced) Wed 05-Oct-11 23:18:40
Print Post

Just checking: You do realise that samknows is not an authoratitive site but relies on information that may or may not be provided to it by operators etc. ?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 06-Oct-11 01:14:27
Print Post

BTW Virgin is offering ADSL2+ for people outside the cabled roads from this exchange.
Does "BTW Virgin" mean Virgin Media ADSLx?

It cannot do that unless the exchange is WBC enabled.

A check you could do would be to put your number into the IDNet checker. They have different price pages for ADSL(1) and 2+ and it will take you to the right one, so that will perhaps clarify things.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 06-Oct-11 01:15:17)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to