General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User thomaswarne01
(learned) Sat 08-Oct-11 00:17:03
Print Post

BT Line Stats

[link to this post]

hi there, my aunt has bt home broadband BT Hub 3 and i was wondering if these stats are ok for her line she is about 2-3 miles away from the exchange so the slow speed is to be expected

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:06:49
Downstream: 3.094 Mbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 16.2 dB / 23.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 34.5 dB / 18.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 19.3 dBm / 12.2 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 1

Looking forward to your help,

Cheers

(learned) Sat 08-Oct-11 00:24:43
Print Post

Re: BT Line Stats

[re: thomaswarne01] [link to this post]

Note, just restarted the hub again,
here are the new stats
ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:03:09
Downstream: 3.438 Mbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 14.6 dB / 23.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 34.5 dB / 18.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 19.3 dBm / 12.2 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 16 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 1

Cheers

Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Oct-11 00:31:48
Print Post

need IP profile resetting, target margin looks to high.

BT Infinity
ROUTER:-Netgear WNDR37AV
JDSU Stats
Sync 39999D 9995U
Attenuation: 9.6 SNR: 8.9
Line Length 300meters

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Oct-11 01:15:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by thomaswarne01:
Downstream: 3.438 Mbps
Sync is far too low; should be about 7.5 Meg. Nowt to do with IP Profile which is dependant on Sync and not the other way round. It limits actual throughput but not Sync.

But her NM is high and would account for all the loss of Sync. Must be noisy line. Have you checked the wiring, filters, ring wire? Plugged into test socket behind faceplate of master socket?

She can't be 2 -3 miles from exchange. Her line length is only 1.6 miles.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sat 08-Oct-11 01:21:12)

(learned) Sat 08-Oct-11 02:06:45
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

thanks for reply, no master socket bt line in from window to connector box, and then to mini bt socket little square one.
line must be an old one, because i know that from fact that her neighbour has got the full 8mb and they are from the same pole!
so it will be an old line or different route, but from past experience i know she has had a sync of 5.5mbps before,
what can be done at bt's end? noise margin reset, etc...
we dont want the hassle of new line etc as you can watch live tv without buffering, so it ok for her general browsing, but it is nice to utilise the full speed.

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Sat 08-Oct-11 03:55:44
Print Post

no master socket bt line in from window to connector box, and then to mini bt socket little square one.
It would be useful to see pictures of the junction box and the socket. Will you be able to do that, please?

Are there any other sockets in your Aunt's home? Possibly unused for years and forgotten about? Take a good look at the service cable before it comes in at the window and check for other external junctions -- trace any cables so found.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
(learned) Sat 08-Oct-11 12:16:05
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Hi there,
socket nte5
the box that the dropwire terminates to is the one above, except it has no socket on it, just a blank plate so i would imagine that the wire is directly wired up to the external line, and no there is no other extensions in the house, just the one socket in her kitchen/dining area and her homehub3 is on a purpose built shelf above it so it can be directly connected outside, i would think that she needs new wiring wouldnt you?
main socket
the socket above is not hers, but it is the same as her only one in the house

Also just done a distance check
You are on the ******************** exchange.

You are around 2.22 kilometres from your exchange (as the crow flies).

Cheers.

Edited by thomaswarne01 (Sat 08-Oct-11 12:27:42)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 08-Oct-11 16:26:44
Print Post

Right - that socket where you show the insides is an NTE5B, which is exactly the same as the normal NTE5A but without the external socket.

One or two things to do.

First, remove the faceplate just like you have in the photo, and see if the phone socket downstairs works - either phone or broadband. It is almost certain it is fed off that faceplate and therefore will not.

If it does work downstairs with that faceplate removed then something else is around that we don't know about.

If it doesn't work, then check the terminal numbers and colours of the wires at both sockets. It isn't totally clear what there is there, but it looks as though all 6 terminals are in use.

You should carefully remove any on 1, 3, 4 and 6. T2 and T5 are the only useful ones, with 3 guaranteed to be trouble, 4 often, and 1 and 6 probably irrelevant but disconnect just in case.

Regarding T2 and T5, make sure from the colours that T2 goes to T2 and T5 goes to T5. T2 >> T5 and T5 >> T2 is wrong!Also make sure they are a matching pair, for example Blue with white marks and white with blue marks, or similar. Report back on those and what all the other colours are, just in case it is junk cable. (But at first sight it looks OK).

What is just as bad as having T3 connected is if the pair on T2 and T5 are not matching. For example a blue/white and an orange/white. That is called a "split pair", and if you have one of those we can tell you what to do - from the others that are there.

Any disconnected wires need to be carefully coiled out of the way to stop them contacting anything, but don't push them behind the test socket - the one on the wall part of the NTE5B.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 08-Oct-11 16:29:58)

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Sat 08-Oct-11 17:22:27
Print Post

i would think that she needs new wiring wouldnt you?
No, not necessarily.

As Bob has explained, you really need to look inside the lower front section of the NTE5/B and inside the extension socket. Without seeing the quality of the wiring, we can't really tell if it needs to be replaced. However as OR's responsibility ends at the NTE5/B, any wiring and sockets after that point are your Aunt's responsibility -- or yours, as her local technician!

If you could take some photographs, that will definitely help us to see what can be done to (possibly) improve things.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
(regular) Sun 16-Oct-11 00:14:54
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Hi guys, just an update, i have been to my aunts thisvening and looked at her router stats on my iphone, and here they are! Stats i think they are an improvement, must have been some noise or something, dont know what, but is this normal for her line now?
Cheers Guys.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to