General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ib1703
(newbie) Sat 08-Oct-11 17:04:38
Print Post

BT Infinity for my local cabinet

[link to this post]

My local exchange has been upgraded to Infinity. My local BT cabinet has not been upgraded with Infinity i.e. there's no Infinity cabinet next to it and various checker sites state I don't have Infinity and no future date etc mentioned on any web site.

Further down the main road from my local cabinet (and further away from the exchange) the next local cabinet does have Infinity capability. This upgraded cabinet is along the same main road where my local BT cabinet is and is the same main road that leads back to the exchange just over a mile away the fibre to the cabinet further away will have passed by my local cabinet! Cant they splice into that?

What are the possible reasons for not having an Infinity cabinet and upgrade at my local cabinet? Assume planning permission is not an issue. Assume BT/Openreach has the parts required e.g. cabinet.

My local cabinet appears to cater for an area of some 700 homes which I think should be a sufficient number to get excited over smile
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 09-Oct-11 18:50:10
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity for my local cabinet

[re: ib1703] [link to this post]

Your exchange has not been upgraded to Infinity smile It's been upgraded to FTTC, Infinity is just what BT Retail call their FTTC offering. Just to clear that up.

Eg. Infinify is just a package name, and nothing to do with FTTC or Fibre cabinets.

If you PM me your postcode I'll find out some info on that cab and if it's planned to be enabled.

James

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Standard User ib1703
(newbie) Sun 09-Oct-11 22:29:32
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

I understand the distinction - just being lazy wink .RG41 1FZ. Cabinet 5 and as far as I am aware there's no plans.

If you have any ideas on the possible engineering issues I would be grateful. The immediate area is surrounded by fibre cabinets.

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Oct-11 23:09:16
Print Post

It was not planned, they didn't change their minds. PCP 5 covers 44 post codes which must add up to a fair few homes! But you can get Virgin Media so does it matter?

The same is going to happen where I live and there is no Virgin Media.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Oct-11 23:24:29
Print Post

Mapped PCP 5 postcodes:- http://batchgeo.com/map/7ad8f2379241db69a4953787871a...

PS looks like 2 post codes are new and don't appear in the right place on Google maps.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User ib1703
(newbie) Sun 16-Oct-11 00:09:12
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

The two postcodes way off to the right must be a mistake. PCP 5 is located close to all the other postcodes where Emmbrook Rd meets Reading Rd. The exchange is in the middle of town. Must be error.
Standard User ib1703
(newbie) Sun 16-Oct-11 00:14:26
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

But why wasn't it planned? Why did they do PCP 3 and 4 and not 5. PCP 5 is in between both 3 & 4 and the fibre to get to PCP 3 would have had to pass by PCP 5! It's about 600-700 homes some of the postcodes have lines going to other PCP's.

Can't get Virgin - I have been to them to survey street I live in.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Oct-11 00:24:23
Print Post

Low percentage of lines in those 2 post codes ... actually it doesn't look like they are mapped wrongly so possibly a mistake or extremely poor routing!

Can't get Virgin - I have been to them to survey street I live in.

D'oh!

Can't think of any reason for not enabling PCP5.

[joke]Set fire to the existing cabinet and hope the replace it with a new on and a FTTC cabinet at the same time[/joke]

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User silvryn
(regular) Sun 16-Oct-11 01:32:52
Print Post

Where there is fibre, you may well find there is Virgin. BT ignore non cable areas. Instead they concentrate all their efforts in the area that virgin cable is. Trying to get the Virgin customers to swap to them.

I will give u an example;
go here: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

Type in Trowbridge. You will get 2 results. North Trowbridge and Trowbridge. You will see that North T hasn't got any cable and Trowbridge has. At first it looks like it is to do with the population density. And it probably does, but type Yeovil. And that thinking doesn't stack up. Yeovil has no Virgin cable and as far as I can find out we won't in the near future (2/3 years), and we are not going to get FTTC either. If what SamKnows is correct. Which it is.
In fact the SW is poorly covered by Virgin, where it is the population density argument doesn't stack up. And BT are going to these small villages/towns to install FTTC. And yet BT say it isn't profitable to install in rural areas.
So I can only conclude that BOTH BT and Virgin are lying.
Standard User ib1703
(newbie) Sun 16-Oct-11 10:34:39
Print Post

[re: silvryn] [link to this post]

There is Virgin all over the area covered by my PCP5 (local BT cabinet) but in my close (that's been built since cable laid down) there's no Virgin to any of the dozen houses. I asked Virgin to look into it and they won't do it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to