General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rnewfie
(member) Tue 18-Oct-11 16:02:43
Print Post

speedtester.bt.com Tells Lies!

[link to this post]

I have ongoing speed and connection issues with my ADSL link, which goes over standard BT phone cables.
I think it is irrelevant as to who the ISP is, so I will not mention them, because they are doing their best with limited BT technology.

Recently I moved from ADSL to ADSL2+ which has been a bit of a disaster to say the least. Sync speeds are lower and the connection drops frequently. This is being investigated, but one thing has just transpired - The information provide by speedtester.bt.com is not necessarily correct and in my case, is a complete fallicy.

For the past 16 days, I have been monitoring my profile using speedtester.bt.com and have saved screenshots daily.
For the past 16 days, my connection speed has not fallen below 3032 and my profile has consequently not fallen below 2674 (I am on BT's new system whereby the profile is set immediately upon every re-sync and is calculated as 88.2% of current sync speed - Nice round number!)

When I mentioned to my ISP that no matter what my profile rate is set to (And it has varied from 2674 to 3260), the data throughput speed has not gone above 1500, they said, and I quote, 'According to us, your profile has not changed since the 2nd October, when it was set at 1750 and it still is today'! This explains the throughput speed of around 1500, because on a profile of 2674, I should get around 2400kbps.

Why then, does the speedtester.bt.com report my sync speed and profile changing on a daily basis as and when I resync to a different speed, but my ISP says that it hasn't changed for 16 days?

I appreciate that there is sometimes a delay in the ISP using a copy of BT's profile, but 16 days!

Has anyone any comments, or similar experience?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Oct-11 16:14:40
Print Post

Re: speedtester.bt.com Tells Lies!

[re: rnewfie] [link to this post]

Systems do break now and then, and if you have records showing IP Profile changing, then ISP should be looking into it.

As I understand the updates to the ISP are still not real-time, i.e. there is a delay still in them being passed the value. Usually this does not matter as ISP's take the value and do nothing with it.

Which ISP is it?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adslmax
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Oct-11 16:22:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Plusnet is the best place to go with. Plusnet will match your IP Profile eg:

BT Profile: 2674k
Plusnet Profile: 3000k
Throughput speed: 2400-2600k

plusnetADSL2+15 Meg

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Oct-11 16:49:37
Print Post

There have been quite a lot of reports similar to the on the Plusnet forums where two BT systems are out of sync with each other.
Invariably the Plusnet reps sort it out very quickly by speaking to BT
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Oct-11 16:57:54
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Actually better to go to one that does not bother with the profile, and just records it record keeping, i.e. makes no use of it.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 18-Oct-11 19:38:24
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Plusnet is the best place to go with. Plusnet will match your IP Profile eg:

BT Profile: 2674k
Plusnet Profile: 3000k
Throughput speed: 2400-2600k
In the OP's case, it seems not frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 18-Oct-11 19:48:16
Print Post

No it doesn't.

Just your ISP, (there is no point whatsoever in not saying who it is, as it can be highly relevant - as in this case), is unable to get the (at least) three relevant places the profile is held to be in step.

Those three being the BRAS; the MSAN, (which is the figure the speed test reports); and the ISP's copy. We already know that the ISP's copy will only use the old-style profile and that their system does not yet get a feed of the new style.

This issue does not seem, on a quick scan, to have been mentioned at any point in your more complex thread, which is mainly about a different issue, mainly the sync speed itself. The profile one is easily sorted by the reps who have posted there, just I don't see you mentioning it.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User rnewfie
(member) Wed 19-Oct-11 19:10:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I didn't mention the ISP as I didn't think it was relevant, but as you say, it probably is. In this case it is MAAF.

I also didn't mention the 'profile out of step' issue before because I only found this out yesterday when I was talking to the support rep.
I just happened to mention to him that whatever profile I am on, my download speed doesn't change a bit.
I had been taking screenshots of my profile as produced from bt.speedtester.com for 16 days and the profile changes on a daily basis based on the new 88% of connection speed.
The support rep said that according to him, the IP profile is currently set at 1750 and has been since October 2nd.

So all of those re-connections and re-syncs and profile changes mean absolutely nothing because the ISP is not using the same information as is produced by BT!

Great isn't it - Let the end user check their profile by providing them with a web page where they can do so, but only show figures which the end user wants to see, as opposed to what is really going on.
Standard User kasg
(committed) Wed 19-Oct-11 20:02:43
Print Post

Does the MAAF web portal let you view your internal profile? The Plusnet site does and, funnily enough, today after doing a speed test I found it had inexplicably been set to 14Mb rather than the usual 37Mb for FTTC connections. A support ticket got that fixed in about an hour and it was blamed on "a glitch in our supplier's systems." TBH I can't really understand why anyone stays with MAAF rather than migrating to Plusnet, which is generally cheaper and operated by the same people.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Oct-11 23:12:11
Print Post

So did he fix it? The Plusnet reps who have posted in your other thread are able to do it within minutes, though it takes a few hours for it to come into effect.

And seeing as (I believe) all MAAF customers are now on the Plusnet network ....

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 19-Oct-11 23:12:55)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to