General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ajs1984
(newbie) Mon 19-Dec-11 08:01:10
Print Post

FTTC status on dslchecker after new line install?

[link to this post]

How long does FTTC availability take to show up on the BT dslchecker with a new phone line?

I'm looking at getting a new line installed with BT Infinity. There is an FTTC cab on my street, and if I punch in the phone numbers for addresses adjacent to and opposite my building, they are all able to get it. Addresses in my block of flats show no availability, but none of the properties have phone lines, so that isn't surprising.

When I phoned BT, they declined to start an Infinity install because the availability checker showed no availability for other flats in my block. I've gone ahead and ordered a line only, in the hope that I can switch contract after it is installed.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Dec-11 10:41:43
Print Post

Re: FTTC status on dslchecker after new line install?

[re: ajs1984] [link to this post]

How long have the other flats had their numbers?

Should usually just be a matter of days. It is possible that the block of flats is not served by the cabinet you expect, particularly if constructed some years after the cabinet was in place, and may have been at capacity.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 19-Dec-11 11:47:16
Print Post

How new is the block of flats, and are there (inactive) phone sockets installed, perhaps by the builder?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ajs1984
(newbie) Mon 19-Dec-11 14:06:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Should usually just be a matter of days.
Great, thanks for this info.
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
How long have the other flats had their numbers?
I wasn't clear. The flats are conversions, probably less than 10 years old, and AFAICT they have never had phone lines. But a few of them show up in the address search, and it's this (and the post code search) that suggest no availability. I'm hoping the reason they suggest ADSL2+ but not FTTC is because FTTC availability isn't added speculatively if a postal code / address block has never/not recently received any BT services.

Point accepted about regular cab capacity. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
How new is the block of flats, and are there (inactive) phone sockets installed, perhaps by the builder?
No lines installed in the build. I think the original (pre-conversion) had a line or two, because there's old BT equipment on the wall outside (which I'm hoping they'll get rid of, it's exposed and in poor condition).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Dec-11 14:44:18
Print Post

Sounds very much like a sit and wait, or a manual order if the sales staff are awake and can check the actual situation in the street.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 19-Dec-11 15:38:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by ajs1984:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
No lines installed in the build. I think the original (pre-conversion) had a line or two, because there's old BT equipment on the wall outside (which I'm hoping they'll get rid of, it's exposed and in poor condition).
That's good news. New-build flats may not have been able to have it, depending on how (idiotically) they were wired up by the builder.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to