General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ToneDeaf
(regular) Sat 07-Jan-12 20:33:02
Print Post

ADSL2+ to be installed in ALL exchanges??

[link to this post]

Can I ask if BT are to roll out their ADSL2+ product to all exchanges?

My relation has full 8mb sync from the Portstewart (NIPS) exchange and does not really want FTTC speeds.

However, with typical 6Mb/s download speeds at full ADSLmax sync she would benefit from an ADSL2+ product (up to 24Mb/s).

There is no date listed on the checker for 21CN WBC completion at this exchange.

-------------------------------------
Zen 1760/448k ADSLmax
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 07-Jan-12 21:18:09
Print Post

Re: ADSL2+ to be installed in ALL exchanges??

[re: ToneDeaf] [link to this post]

Please post or PM (posting is safe enough) the actual Postcode. That exchange has a mixed profile.

You may not know that BT Infinity is now almost the same price as BT ADSL2+.

Port-Stewart/Coleraine already has FTTC in some parts. If she can currently get FTTC it is very likely she will never be able to get BT ADSL2+. If she can't get FTTC then the Post Code will narrow the field.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User ToneDeaf
(regular) Sat 07-Jan-12 23:09:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

thanks Robertos,

BT55 7DD

Cost isn't an issue for her - just the pain of purchasing and setting up a new router with multiple devices connected wirelessly around the house. Her existing router would suffice for ADSL2+

I don't live convenient enough to do this for her.

-------------------------------------
Zen 1760/448k ADSLmax

Edited by ToneDeaf (Sat 07-Jan-12 23:12:53)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 08-Jan-12 00:01:53
Print Post

From what I can see she should be able to get FTTC now. Put her phone number into BT Infinity checker and see what it says.

The speed won't be great, perhaps 3-4 times what she gets now. She is on Cabinet 1 and must be a long way away from it. The estimate is 2.89 times, but most people get far more than the estimates.

You could also try this checker. That gives a speed range estimates, but doesn't actually say whether it is already available. It says the line "supports", which doesn't mean its available.

Both BT and Plusnet supply a "cable" router. All FTTC installations get an Openreach-installed modem. Regarding wireless setup, it should not be too difficult to change the SSID, subnet addressing and wireless security encryption and key on the new router to the same as now, so that nothing needs to be changed on the other kit.

Alternatives are of course the messy altering of all the stuff, or disable the wireless on the new one and connect the existing router by ethernet to it, but you have to change the subnet on the old one to the same as the new one and disable its DHCP. Then everything continues to connect wirelessly to the old one.

Most other FTTC suppliers have a suggested router for sale. I'm with IDNet and just looked around and got one of these. Only 100Mbps ethernet, but that's fine for me as I use wireless most of the time.

WHich ISP is she with now, and what router? Someone may be able to make other suggestions.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 08-Jan-12 00:05:40
Print Post

Forgot.

The reason I think she may never get ADSL2+ is that FTTC requires ADSL2+, so as FTTC is available on that exchange it means the fibre cabinet attached to her PCP (cab 1) is routed to a different exchange. So the incentive for BT to upgrade her exchange to WBC/ADSL2+ is diminished.

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Jan-12 02:23:28
Print Post

I would like to know if this will happen also.

Id love to get FTTC but ADSL2 will be great as well.

FTTC for me would probably be more correctly said as FTTE as im that close to the exchange i dont even connect to it via a cab in the street tongue

BT 8MB
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Jan-12 03:04:40
Print Post

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

Have u considered SMPF option from Xilo or Vivaciti. If your exchange has Talk Talk or C&W or possibly O2 LLU then the option maybe open to you. I was stuck with no date for 21CN on our village exchange. TT LLU is available but I wouldn't use TT network in a month of sundays, but the SMPF option uses their line card and O-bit network with Vivaciti. I get a sync of 20meg and throuput of 17.8 meg on downloads, nite or day, peak or off peak. Worth looking into. For me it's better than Zen, and cheaper, with a bigger allowance.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Mon 30-Jan-12 03:06:59
Print Post

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

So, essentially, you would like either ADSL2+ or FTTP.

You've forgotten one (or two) details -- your exchange and your postcode. (I've known how RobertoS works, for some time, but I don't think mind-reading is his forte. wink )

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Jan-12 19:31:25
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

No LLU here

Pontybodkin exchange

BT 8MB
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Tue 31-Jan-12 12:47:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by ToneDeaf:
the pain of purchasing and setting up a new router with multiple devices connected wirelessly around the house.

Slightly off-topic, but the quick and easy way to sort that if the router is changed, is to change the new router's SSID, Encryption type and key to match the existing setup.

A local PC-Home-Repair geek should be able to do that in 5-10 minutes, so it's easily a sub-£50 job.

Even if you do it the "long" way round it is still only an hour's work, unless she's running a branch pf PC World...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to