General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ajackuk
(newbie) Thu 19-Jan-12 14:22:54
Print Post

Slower speed that houses around me

[link to this post]

Folks

This problem has been gonig on for years, I was here a number of years ago, got nowhere with BT and have just lived with it.

However, since they announced my Cleveleys exchange is to get BT Infinity this year, thinking I need to see if things have changed.

Am in a new build estate FY5 4FN, well it was new about 7 years ago!
At first we could not get ADSL as we had TPON in the way, then about 4 years ago they put in a copper overlay.

We got broadband for first time and my friend / neighbour next door got our service from BT at first. Strange thing was. I got around 2 meg d/load at best, he got 3.

BT came and visited me, many many times, and then had visits over the years from then again, but via ISP's like Plus Net, O2 etc - and could not find a reason.

I had higher line noise, and it got slightly worse where I get about 1.5 meg now, while next door gets a steady 3 meg.

BT Openreach engineers, put a new face plate by the front door master socket, one that has the filter built in, then moved my pairs in the street cabinet and a few other things - but it refused to get faster.

In the end, was told I am getting a higher speed thatn they estimated (around 0.5 meg) so that I would pretty much have to lump it as they only had to give me a service, not a service as fast as those around me.

So, have lived with it, but not that BT I is due this year I am wondering if this would mean I am still going to be a meg slower tha those around me? Could this effect me in different ways?

Have things changed over they ears, so I might be abe to get BT back in to look at why I am slower?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 19-Jan-12 14:42:58
Print Post

Re: Slower speed that houses around me

[re: ajackuk] [link to this post]

I assume you are using an extension socket somewhere? Are you connecting wired or wireless to the router? If wireless, is wired any better? Also if you are using Windows, which version is it?

Have you ever run a BT Performance Test? If not, please will you do that and copy/paste the full results as far down as the end of the upload figures?

Can you find and post your line stats please? See here for help. It might be best to do a daytime reconnection first.

Once we've seen those, it would probably be very useful if you could (again in the daytime) connect the router >> short ADSL cable >> dangly filter >> test socket and get the stats from there. A pain I know, as it is near the front door, but is the only way to get reliable data.

The test socket is the one on the wall at the back in this pic. Be careful not to dislodge any wires.

The two sets of figures will tell us whether the problem is internal to you or external, and what your best possible speed is at the moment.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Jan-12 15:59:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Also worth getting the same figures from the neighbours line.

Estates with TPON often had limited availability of copper, so you may be on one of those old ones. The overlay was often thicker copper, so slightly better performance for ADSL over several km's, so if neighbour is on that it may explain difference.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User godsell4
(newbie) Mon 23-Jan-12 18:55:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by ajackuk:
We got broadband for first time and my friend / neighbour next door got our service from BT at first. Strange thing was. I got around 2 meg d/load at best, he got 3.

Are you both using the same make and model of router? On my line, I can see as much as 1Mb difference in sync speed depending on the router.

PlusNet BBYW1
Standard User ajackuk
(newbie) Thu 26-Jan-12 10:24:24
Print Post

[re: godsell4] [link to this post]

This is a long story smile

When we were both setup, we both had same modem from T, then same modem from O2 - but now we have different modems.

When we had the same model - there was still the meg or so difference in speed.

I know people here will not have the history of my little saga, and will getthe stats when I am home next - and from my buddy next door, but can anyone comment on if it is now easier to get OpenReach out to look at the physical line? Still only via ISP raising a call etc?
Standard User ajackuk
(newbie) Thu 26-Jan-12 10:37:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

These are very valid questions, and will look to get the line stats you spoke of, as am sure the info it supplis will show how cruddy my line is, due to distance from exchange etc.

However, I did all this last time I looked into this years ago, and then get the ISP to get BT out, who checked that the master socket, wiring in house etc etc where fine. I know that no one who has been very kind in replying, knows any of this history, and do very much appreciate your comments and suggestions.

BT concluded that from my house inwards it was all fine, but perhaps problem lay with cable from house to street box, they swapped my cables in the street box to another area in box, made no difference.

If we assume for the discussion that all the things you might suggest about me changing in the house, hardware swap etc - all make no difference, and that the fault is outside the house - can I do anything more to get BT involved than I could 3 years or so ago?

Their speed checker talks about me getting:
Between 0.75Mb and 2.5Mb
(Estimated speed: 1.0Mb)

And am getting about the middle of that range, and they took the view that I was getting service in that range so stop asking for me. The fact my neighbours around me are getting about a meg more than me made no difference, they were just lucky.

Any further thoughts from the great and the good here??

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I assume you are using an extension socket somewhere? Are you connecting wired or wireless to the router? If wireless, is wired any better? Also if you are using Windows, which version is it?

Have you ever run a BT Performance Test? If not, please will you do that and copy/paste the full results as far down as the end of the upload figures?

Can you find and post your line stats please? See here for help. It might be best to do a daytime reconnection first.

Once we've seen those, it would probably be very useful if you could (again in the daytime) connect the router >> short ADSL cable >> dangly filter >> test socket and get the stats from there. A pain I know, as it is near the front door, but is the only way to get reliable data.

The test socket is the one on the wall at the back in this pic. Be careful not to dislodge any wires.

The two sets of figures will tell us whether the problem is internal to you or external, and what your best possible speed is at the moment.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 26-Jan-12 12:41:09
Print Post

BT fit a ring wire.

I believe the latest BT filtered faceplates filter it, but older ones don't. Soem filtered faceplates can degrade performance, as occasionally can the iPlate.

Up to you whether you try what I suggested or not. Something may show up, possibly nothing will. But going ahead on the basis that BT say all is fine will never show anything.

The answer to "can I do anything more to get BT involved than I could 3 years or so ago?" has to be No.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User plankton
(newbie) Wed 05-Jun-13 15:52:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've the same issue. my line get 62.5 Attenuation where as my 4 neighbours get 57 ... all with BT Broadband ADSL2+, home wiring all isolated, same cab, same route to the exchange etc. Upshot is that I get about 1.7 download neighbours get 3+. The BT wholesale checker say that I should expect between 1-3.5 this seems such a wide margin that you could drive a coach and horses through it. They will not look at it unless my speed falls below 1........ I guess the good news is that my speed was around 2.4 at one point about six months ago, so it shouldn't be long before it crawls down to 1 !!!! Anyone had any luck getting openreach to investigate in this senario where you fall withing the contracted values ? Many than ks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Jun-13 22:08:23
Print Post

[re: plankton] [link to this post]

What contracted values?

There is no obligation to provide a certain speed, attenuation difference suggests dfferent routes to exchange hence speed difference

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User plankton
(newbie) Wed 05-Jun-13 22:38:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Friendly openreach engineer assures me that route is the same, I'll I can think is that my line is not in a great state of repair or that there is some aluminium along it's run.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to