General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User hypertony
(committed) Mon 30-Jan-12 09:14:28
Print Post

Bodge job by Openreach or not?

[link to this post]

Hey all,

3 weeks ago or so, my local exchange was upgraded to ADSL2+ finally.

For the past 1 and half week, my connection would remain but can't access websites. I changed my router to G.DMT mode and it works fine and connects to websites instantly. Changed the settings back to ADSL2+ and it fails.

I raised this with my ISP who then checked with BT/Openreach. They say there is an issue with ASDSL2+ and would be resolved within few days.

It was fixed a few days later so I changed the settings back to ADSL2+ mode and all is good.

And it broke again a few days later. Once again, all is fine with G.DMT but not on ADSL2+ mode. So raised this issue with my ISP again. They checked with BT/Openreach and just now this morning, they've come back as "BT have just come back to us. They have advised all users in your area set your router to G.DMT mode as they have made some software change."

Is this a bodge job by BT/Openreach to keep the customers happy or is this really an acceptable answer from BT/Openreach?

What is the difference between G.DMT and ADSL2+ mode? Will I lose speed?

Note: I am with TitanADSL as the ISP.

Thanks all,

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Jan-12 09:29:47
Print Post

Re: Bodge job by Openreach or not?

[re: hypertony] [link to this post]

There is no automatic move from ADSL to ADSL2+ when an exchange is upgraded, so what makes you think Titan actually made any changes?

When you say switch mode, are you forcing ADSL2+ mode? Because on some modems if your line is LONG and ADSL2+ will not work well this can cause issues.

G.DMT is plain ADSL up to 8Mbps
ADSL2+ is up to 24 Mbps

Modems should auto negotiate between the various flavours, if there is a setting called Multi-Mode try that one. Which will try all three modes.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hypertony
(committed) Mon 30-Jan-12 09:37:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. My answers in-between your comments below...

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
There is no automatic move from ADSL to ADSL2+ when an exchange is upgraded, so what makes you think Titan actually made any changes?

I didn't say anything about my ISP making any changes? Just BT/OpenReach.

When you say switch mode, are you forcing ADSL2+ mode? Because on some modems if your line is LONG and ADSL2+ will not work well this can cause issues.

When my local exchange was upgraded to ADSL2+ and when I set the modem to use ADSL2+ mode, it was working fine for about a week before the issue came up. So I don't think it's to do with my wiring/router?

G.DMT is plain ADSL up to 8Mbps
ADSL2+ is up to 24 Mbps

Thanks, so that confirms my thoughts - I did notice I lose a bit of speed when I changed the settings back to G.DMT.

Modems should auto negotiate between the various flavours, if there is a setting called Multi-Mode try that one. Which will try all three modes.

Yes, my router have Multimode and when I have that set, the router picks up G.DMT mode.

But that has not answered my question - did BT/Openreach bodge a job to get everyone connected/online by forcing them to use G.DMT and have their download speed lowered?

Thanks.

- Tony Sutton

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Jan-12 09:41:57
Print Post

When an ADSL2+ upgrade happens at the exchange (BT Wholesale actually) then install new kit, and only if a provide places a migration order are customers connected to this.

This is because the new products are new products and have different pricing and performance.

So I mentioned Titan, as they are the ones (or their supplier) who initiate a change over to ADSL2+.

If nothing has changed you are connected to the same hardware as six months ago, and nothing has changed in terms of ADSL mode with that.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hypertony
(committed) Mon 30-Jan-12 09:47:39
Print Post

Ah, now understands. In the case - to answer your question, yes they migrated me to ADSL2+ platform as part of the bulk migration.

- Tony Sutton
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Jan-12 11:06:02
Print Post

Okay, thats simpler.

In this case then on WBC it is possible for a provider to control the profile and product type, i.e. they can force ADSL mode. A lot depends on the individuals line.

Have never seen a WBC roll-out where they have to turn off ADSL2+ mode. Have seen individuals lines that gain nothing from ADSL2+ so that leads to the next step, what is the line attenuation, sync speed and noise margins for your line.

Standard User hypertony
(committed) Mon 30-Jan-12 11:12:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Have never seen a WBC roll-out where they have to turn off ADSL2+ mode. Have seen individuals lines that gain nothing from ADSL2+ so that leads to the next step, what is the line attenuation, sync speed and noise margins for your line.

Not sure if giving you these details will be of any help when BT has said that the setting need to be set for all users in my area? In other words, I am not only one affected from this.

But if it will be of any help, I'll get the details later as I am at work.

Thanks,

- Tony Sutton
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Jan-12 12:24:43
Print Post

I am suspicous of the words that have been passed to you as BT saying them, especially if they talk of Openreach, since the MSAN config is done remotely after they are physically in place by BT Wholesale.

Providers are well known for blaming BT as a cover for themselves not being sure about something.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 30-Jan-12 15:02:00
Print Post

You could ask in General BB Chatter here if anyone on your exchange is having the same issue with a BT WBC/21CN ADSL2+ connection.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to