General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Aug-12 06:47:59
Print Post

Re: 21CN / WBC: Villagers bounce back

[re: o1nk] [link to this post]

BT will eventually upgrade the exchange to 21CN - they are totally phasing out 20CN.

I find it suprising that 8 meg isn't enough for you. The uses you have said (spotify, youtube and xbox live) really shouldn't add up to more than about 2meg/sec if that.

Try getting a decent router with QoS and prioritise TCP ACK packets. It's likely that the 448k upstream is causing the problems, not the downstream.

Alternatively get an office connection and get the higher 832 (or whatever it is) upstream. Will be a few more quid a month but way cheaper than upgrading a phone exchange yourself!

Finally, if all else fails, get another line put in and get a load balancing router. You'll probably get another 8meg, so 16meg in total. Should be more than adequate.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 06-Aug-12 07:51:20
Print Post

What I mean is that your exchange does not always need to be FTTC enabled, it is your cabinet that is important, in some areas Openreach enables cabinets and connects them to a different exchange.

Short term solution for you would be to get a second line with another broadband connection.

On the costs, alas there are ongoing running costs as you need to pay the data costs for getting to the network, and your share of the multi million pound hardware that does all this interconnecting.

BT is talking of a 12 year pay back for its fibre solutions.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 06-Aug-12 07:52:38
Print Post

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

YouTube HD is 5Meg, which can hit latency, causing issues for gaming, but spotify should manage.

Joys of families where they all want to use it at once.

Fritzbox 7390 is impressing me currently with its easy to manage QoS options.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 06-Aug-12 18:08:49
Print Post

If just 200 people take out their broadband FTTC package at £18 pm
And 200 people take out the 76mb FTTC at £26 per month
That's 400 customers taking just broadband at an average of £22pm
That is £8800 per month
If the cost is £65000, that would be profitable in 8 months?

Setting aside margins etc the problem with this analysis is that all the customers will be paying something now, so a fair bit of the £8800 is not extra money to cover extra costs.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User o1nk
(newbie) Mon 06-Aug-12 21:12:37
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

OK, clarify time

mr_mojo
BT Homehub 3 that has about as much tweaking as a bag FULL of non-tweakers, in non-tweakersvile, non-tweakersland

The BT line is fine and we get the full 8 meg
Problems arise with his XBOX live: downloading demos and games from Steam
Youtube is a hogger, especially when she is using Keeptube to rip the mp3 as well
iPlayer is the bandwidth grenade: You try watching iPlayer on a 50" and tell me it's good enough without being in HD

I get so much earache, saying "The internet is sooooo slowwwww" but they are all on it at once
If my daughter youtube's and I watch the football on sopcast they both cancel each other out and fight for the bandwidth

MrSaffron
Who do I ask to find out that info about the exchange?
We have engineers in our village EVERY day from openreach. I'm not kidding
I could just ask them

As for cost,
what, if any, cost is incurred after it is installed?
Once the FTTC is installed, can any ISP 'rent' that fibre (I don't know, Wholesale will be the owner?), like the ISP's rent the line from Wholesale? Will that be an option?
Or will BT just hog the gold?

This is so intriguing
I have gone from hoping for 21CN network at best, to having a glimmer of FTTC, for less money than we planned. Just in a few days

Thanks everyone, so far

One more question:
Would FTTC come as 76/38 meg?
Or the 100meg+?

Edited by o1nk (Mon 06-Aug-12 21:35:23)

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Mon 06-Aug-12 22:11:52
Print Post

FTTC would come as the 38/10 and 78/20 variants, the over 100Mbps is currently FTTP, their are further upgrades for FTTC to increase speed but these are a few years away.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 06-Aug-12 22:37:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by o1nk:
I get so much earache, saying "The internet is sooooo slowwwww" but they are all on it at once
If my daughter youtube's and I watch the football on sopcast they both cancel each other out and fight for the bandwidth

Ahh, so it's less of a speed issue, and more or a kids issue. Lots of heavy food, and housework. They'll be asleep by 8pm. wink

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User o1nk
(newbie) Mon 06-Aug-12 23:33:23
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
Ahh, so it's less of a speed issue, and more or a kids issue. Lots of heavy food, and housework. They'll be asleep by 8pm. wink

I wish!! 15 and 16 means there's not many days they are in bed before midnight .... or should I say off their phones and other internet-destroying toys

By the way, anyone know how much it would actually cost to install 21CN stuff. Just in case we get knocked back for the FTTC? (Or get told it will be done in 3 years)
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 07-Aug-12 00:11:25
Print Post

No idea of cost, but presumably the '21CN stuff' would be ISP equipment in some cases. Your exchange is Market 1, which isn't reassuring from getting some competition into the area.

Your best bet might be to mobilise the commerce and/or industry in the area. With 77 non-residential premises, you might stuggle. My own village has a similar amount, but 3x the residential premises. It got 21CN in May, and was Market 2 until 2010.

I see there's one fairly big company in that area. Do they have 8 Meg broadband? I'll guess they have something a little better.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 07-Aug-12 00:38:41
Print Post

Rutland Telecom did FTTC at Lyddington and Essendine with their cab next to a BT PCP cab. Plenty of PR on the net and their site. Services offered are Rutland as an ISP and telephone service provider ie monopoly. Residents provided about £40k for Lyddington I think, as share capital.

You could put a router between your home hub and the client devices to manage bandwidth per device. A second line would double the capacity.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to