General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Eosis
(newbie) Mon 13-Aug-12 10:39:22
Print Post

Retrieving Engineer Notes from BT Openreach, any advice?

[link to this post]

After receiving multiple callouts from Openreach engineers over the past year and a half regarding our continuously decreasing broadband speeds, we feel that it is time to retrieve the engineer notes that were made during the visits.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for the wording of the letter that I must send, ie. specifics regarding tests done, etc. I have found a document online (google "fault tracker notes.pdf") detailing some types of notes, and I have asked specifically for the advanced diagnostic notes, diagnostic notes and also the technical notes. However, the problem with our line (according to the engineers who visited) is most likely the poor quality of the ducting and copper running from the cabinet to our home. Does anyone know of the best way to ask for specific detail on this aspect?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Aug-12 11:58:58
Print Post

Re: Retrieving Engineer Notes from BT Openreach, any advice?

[re: Eosis] [link to this post]

Doubt you can! OR Engs were not working for you but for your ISP.

Certainly OR won't talk to you; your ISP might but I doubt it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Aug-12 20:20:05
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I believe you can request a full copy of any engineer reports that contain your name under the data protection act.

Normally an engineer if they have demonstrated service to you will write something along the lines of "tested and demonstrated to Mr/Mrs Smith" so under that you should be able to request the full notes for a job where that statement exists.

You will need to do this via your service provider though and there may be an admin charge.

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Aug-12 10:50:35
Print Post

At end of the day if the attenuation is in line with the actual distance cable travels from the exchange not much that you can achieve with this route.

What is the actual outcome you hope for?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TMCR
(member) Thu 16-Aug-12 11:27:27
Print Post

Under the Data Protection Act, you can ask your ISP for a full copy of all data they hold on your account. This would only be the notes they transfer to a database, not the original written report from the engineer - that's not classed as 'data' as it's not being stored electronically.

It costs £10 and they have to provide the info within 40 working days. Google 'subject access request' for more. It may not produce the result you require.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Virgin Cable (L)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Aug-12 12:58:00
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

The ISP will have very little information stored that relates to work done by Openreach. The functional seperation issues of ISP - wholesale - openreach

At best most providers have just a simple job outcome code

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to