General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BrummyGit
(newbie) Thu 13-Sep-12 11:25:19
Print Post

What are my local BT works

[link to this post]

I live in a village with approx 1,000 homes connected to our exchange (CMPAT) served only by BT with 8Mb broadband. We have no published upgrade dates.

Recently BT Open Reach have been digging like crazy along the main route into the village in the direction of our nearest City and between the nearest area with higher speed connections and ourselves.

Is there any way to find out if the works are towards a future upgrade as I'm desperate for a faster connection but that currently means moving house?

Thanks
Standard User kitcat
(member) Thu 13-Sep-12 12:33:58
Print Post

Re: What are my local BT works

[re: BrummyGit] [link to this post]

If you go to the Openreach site Openreach site you can look in the spreadsheets for which exchanges are planned to be given FTTC.

I can see no mention of CMPAT in any of the sheets.

There is also upgrades to give 21c from BT wholesale that could give a speed increase but I don't have a link to the list.

Talktalk and Sky also have programme to rollout LLU but there is no indiction on Samknows that anything is happening.

With the small size of your exchange you may have to wait for your council to get BDUK funding and place a contract with someone to upgrade the final 3rd.

Edited by kitcat (Thu 13-Sep-12 13:14:45)

Standard User greenglide
(committed) Thu 13-Sep-12 12:36:10
Print Post

Does your council publish road works on roadworgs.org or on its web site? This may tell you what the work is for (look for references to "nga").

Look at council planning data (should be published on council web site) to see if any applications have been made for DSLAMs in your area.

FTTC is often done with a fibre feed from a "remote" exchange as the "head end" so the fibre goes there and doesnt touch your local exchange. In the case of smaller exchanges in particular this is a very logical way of doing it.

Of course it is possible that they are just laying new cables are building new ducts which are nothing to do with FCCT.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BrummyGit
(newbie) Thu 13-Sep-12 12:46:20
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Thanks - my local parish and district councils are trying to get information too, but have nothing as yet. The county council is currently campaigning for faster connectivity.

I will check out those sources and see what I can find. I also send openreach the question directly.

Many thanks
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Sep-12 13:32:46
Print Post

Often it's easiest to just walk along and have a chat with those digging!

That's what I've done a couple of times and always found someone who knows what and why? smile

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Sep-12 13:35:20
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Depending on the local area, some even have leaflets to hand out explaining things.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kitcat
(member) Thu 13-Sep-12 16:59:22
Print Post

You are not on any Openreach published list to get FTTC yet. The info is all on the site I quoted.

No BDUK contract has been announced for your council yet.

So the cabling works is likely to be for something / somewhere else.
  Print Thread

Jump to