General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Nov-12 17:02:51
Print Post

Problems with our ISP

[link to this post]

We've not had a connection at work since Friday morning. Our ISP claims that BT have put a cease on both lines. We have spoken with BT and they say they have done no such thing. We can also make calls on both lines and a router gets a sync from them - it just gets CHAP errors.

Come Monday I'm going to have to chase them again but what exactly can I do? BT are doing everything we pay them to. Our ISP keeps telling us to talk to BT because they say there's nothing they can do.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do other than demanding our MAC? It could take a week or more to get a new service in place and that's far too long for us to be disconnected from our corporate WAN.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.

Edited by Andrue (Sun 04-Nov-12 17:03:52)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 04-Nov-12 17:19:33
Print Post

Re: Problems with our ISP

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Is that IDNet?

This doesn't seem the best forum for the question? General Chatter or ISP unhappiness I would have thought.

Someone like xilo/uno, vivaciti or ADSL24 may be able to look into the "Cease order"? The lines will still work until any such order is implemented, which is usually a while.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 52.9/14.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Nov-12 17:26:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Is that IDNet?
No. The work connection is with Timico.
I might try ISP unhappiness if it isn't resolved tomorrow but then again if Timico can't reinstate connectivity we will probably just ask them for MACs and find another provider. My concern is if the BTw system is screwed up at the moment so we might struggle to get a MAC or find that it doesn't work when our new provider uses it.

BT have told us categorically that there has been no cease order applied on either line. That is confirmed by the fact that both lines still function perfectly well for voice calls. Timico also claim they have not asked for a cease order either but claim it shows on the BTw system (they actually gave me two BT internal order numbers on Friday).

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 04-Nov-12 17:38:01
Print Post

Wierd.
Worrying. frown

Nobody has been talking to TT or Sky I hope?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 52.9/14.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Nov-12 17:43:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Wierd.
Worrying. frown

Nobody has been talking to TT or Sky I hope?
Lol, I doubt it. We are hoping sometime in the next few months we'll be switching to a fibre based solution (where us and some other companies pay to have it blown to our office park) but right now we're just trying to survive on what we have. One thing that has come out of this though is that one of our lines on its own is better than our bonded solution on the downstream and not far off on the upstream. We already know that our Cisco modem is not entirely compatible with 21CN so a solution might be to just cancel one line use a single router for the next few months.

But first off we need to get things at the office back up and running. Several of us are unable to work without an internet connection. In my case it's damn hard to run Active Directory queries when the DC is in Brighton and we don't have a connection frown

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Nov-12 20:06:19
Print Post

Are you ISP reselling a BT Wholesale FTTC service ? If so, then using the default login,
bt_test_user@startup_domain (no password required)
should work through the router, this would prove it is an issue at ISP level.

I cannot believe your ISP is saying there is nothing they can do, what do you pay them for ???

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Nov-12 20:30:27
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
bt_test_user@startup_domain (no password required)
should work through the router, this would prove it is an issue at ISP level.
Good call, I'd forgotten about that. I'll try that tomorrow.
I cannot believe your ISP is saying there is nothing they can do, what do you pay them for ???
That's a question I'll be asking them tomorrow. We are paying for a managed solution which makes it even more irritating. Unfortunately what with one thing or another (including them not bothering to call us back when they said they would) we ran out of time.

We have been using them for over five years now and that bought them a little trust on Friday. That's now evaporated. It seems pretty obvious to me that it's their responsibility whether it's them or BT who have screwed up.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

ISP Representative Neil_A
(isp) Mon 05-Nov-12 16:39:52
Print Post

Hi Andrue,

Sorry about the problems you've had recently. I believe you've been in touch with Adam in our technical support team today. We expect this will be resolved for you tomorrow.

Kind Regards,

--
Neil Armstrong
Timico Ltd
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Nov-12 18:13:29
Print Post

[re: Neil_A] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Neil_A:
Hi Andrue,

Sorry about the problems you've had recently. I believe you've been in touch with Adam in our technical support team today. We expect this will be resolved for you tomorrow.
We'll hope. We sort of managed to get a backup line running in place but it's not working very well - possibly a config problem on our end. It's been a trying few days and our biggest hope is that this is the end of life for the whole xDSL experience. Unfortunately it seems to going down kicking and screaming rather than bowing out gracefully.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-Nov-12 20:42:49
Print Post

[re: Neil_A] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Neil_A:
Hi Andrue,

And indeed it was, at 3am as advised privately. We would have appreciated a bit more feedback from you but when you're waiting on BT there is often nothing that can be said. On the plus side we're back on 20cn and the connection is much more stable and slightly faster as a result.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to