General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mikejp
(newbie) Sat 15-Dec-12 09:56:23
Print Post

Innerleithen ESINN

[link to this post]

This village 'won' the 'Race to Infinity'. It is fibred now from Peebles (ESPEB) and ESINN has not been fibred. It appears that ESINN is ADSLMAX and I guess will not go to ADSL2+ due to 'Infinity'?

My son is moving there soon and will be:

About 1.7km from the ADSLMax exchange
About 800m from a fibre PCP

He needs a reasonable speed to conduct his work. Is there anyone with knowledge of Scottish deployment who can say whether ADSL2+ would be a likely development there?

Best estimates I can find are 7.5 ADSLMax/20'ish FTTC (both down speeds, of course). He needs a reasonable up speed too.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Dec-12 09:59:30
Print Post

Re: Innerleithen ESINN

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

So the property your son is moving to can get an FTTC based service, and he needs decent upload ?

If the above is correct, go for that ...

Standard User mikejp
(newbie) Sat 15-Dec-12 10:12:42
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yes, Zarjaz, it was the possibility of 2+ I needed to know.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 15-Dec-12 11:14:21
Print Post

if they didn't put the fibre to the nearest exchange it presumably isn't in the near term list for 21CN / ADSL2+ otherwise they would have done the fibre from there instead ?

ESINN is a similar size to my exchange but we got Talk Talk and Sky move in which prompted BT to do 21CN / ADSL2+. I suspect a first move from one of them is the best chance of ADSL2+ (regardless of whether BT follow).

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 15-Dec-12 11:25:58
Print Post

ADSL2+ from BT Wholesale or via .gov spending is very unlikely now that FTTC is in the area, and using another exchange for the fibre handover

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Dec-12 12:01:28
Print Post

Don't forget that on BT FTTC is the same price as ADSL2+, and on Plusnet, (which is about to go unlimited and is cheaper than Infinity), it isn't much more than their ADSL2+.

To me ADSL2+ makes little sense in this instance. If FTTC were far more expensive, then it would.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User mikejp
(newbie) Sat 15-Dec-12 12:27:55
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Thanks to all for the inputs. I did not realise Inf and ADSL2+ were similar in price. We will check. If so it is an easy choice!
  Print Thread

Jump to