General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User akawtu
(learned) Sun 06-Jan-13 17:01:51
Print Post

Reasonable cost of Unlimited WBC?

[link to this post]

Call me clueless because I am but I would like to know the answer.

What is a reasonable price for Unlimited WBC per month?

What I mean by reasonable price can be shown with an example. A computer shop sells a computer part for the reasonable price of cost price + 15% so what is the equivalent reasonable price for Unlimited WBC?

Right now I am charged £29.40 by BT for Unlimited WBC and anytime calls but I can switch over to EE who charge only £7.50 for the same Unlimited WBC and anytime calls package.

I don't need the anytime calls so an even better option for me is Unlimited WBC from EE without anytime calls at a cost of £2.50 per month.

So basically BT's Unlimited WBC and anytime calls package is costing me just over £350 per year and it would cost only £30 per year if I migrate to EE on their £2.50 Unlimited WBC package.

It's been said that for EE the £2.50 price is a loss leader but no factual information is forthcoming regarding the loss. Allegedly EE can make up the difference with other charges/costs but I find it difficult to believe these extra charges could explain the price difference. My Unlimited WBC is stupidly expensive from BT yet it's crazy cheap from EE.

I realise I have cross posted this but I think it really deserves a wider audience in here than the EE forum.

EDIT: Here is the link to the EE page:

https://broadband.ee.co.uk/home.do?WT.mc_id=OFF_EE_V...

You have to enter your phone number and it'll give you the options available. The cheapest option is the £5 Unlimited WBC broadband with evening and weekend calls and because I am a T-Mobile customer I tick the existing customer box and they give me a credit of £30 making it £2.50 per month.

Even at £5 per month for non-customers it's still a bargain!!

Sorry for not including this earlier. I hope XRay doesn't read this because he'll be able to say I told you so and he would be correct! LOL! tongue

Edited by akawtu (Mon 07-Jan-13 04:04:56)

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Jan-13 17:28:46
Print Post

Re: Reasonable cost of Unlimited WBC?

[re: akawtu] [link to this post]

if you dont think £2.50 is a loss leader you have lost the plot.

not only is it a loss but its a huge loss.

also their wbesite doesnt show the prices you quoted.

£25
a month
UP TO 76Mb/sec
Unlimited data
Includes off peak calls to landlines*
Plus £14 month line rental.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20

Edited by Chrysalis (Sun 06-Jan-13 17:29:24)

Standard User akawtu
(learned) Sun 06-Jan-13 17:46:56
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Honestly, I am clueless about it all. I've tried to find out but there are no easy to read for the layman descriptions. There are acronyms and TLAs and lists of prices etc but I don't understand what they mean and neither do I have much hope of find out myself.

Obviously I'm not clueless about some things but for this topic I am completely in the dark.

I don't have much of an opinion on the loss although of course it does seem likely but how much of a loss is a huge loss?

Is it possible to know the reasonable cost of Unlimited WBC?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User akawtu
(learned) Sun 06-Jan-13 18:10:52
Print Post

Sorry I should have posted the EE offer URL. I will update the first post with the link and information on it.

Also, I've been in contact with BT cancellations department the last couple of days about it and they have confirmed the EE deal is the same Unlimited WBC I receive from BT. The BT person even made a best offer of £13.75 for me to stay with BT. That is £13.75 for my current package of Unlimited WBC and anytime calls and from what I've been told on TBB this is the price the 10 Gig WBC users pay. The BT guy was allowing me have my Unlimited package at that price to keep me as a customer but I politely declined because the EE offer is still significantly lower.

Do you know if this £13.75 Unlimited WBC and anytime calls offer is a loss leader for BT?

Edited by akawtu (Sun 06-Jan-13 18:11:54)

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Jan-13 18:13:40
Print Post

The current deal you get is Wholesale Broadband Connect.

The EE deal is FTTC - unless things have changed in the past few years they are not the same.
Standard User akawtu
(learned) Sun 06-Jan-13 18:24:56
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

No, I'm telling the truth!

I'm not so clueless about this part of the situation I am in because I actually did migrate to EE Unlimited WBC. I even have the welcome email from EE and BT even confirmed it. I think BT were scrambling at the time to deal with my call maybe because they hadn't heard about the deal so I was left on hold for a short time and the BT person came back and confirmed the deal is real.

However, I decided I made a hasty mistake so I cancelled the migration but I won't go into it here as it's a side story about my changing broadband requirements for the downstairs broadband.

I still want EE Unlimited WBC but I will order a second line to go with this great deal. It's a long story LOL but what I have said above really is true and if you must hear the whole story I can type it out!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-Jan-13 19:18:34
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
The EE deal is FTTC - unless things have changed in the past few years they are not the same.
Scroll down the page he added the link to in the OP.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-Jan-13 19:22:07
Print Post

Sorry I haven't replied yet to that other thread, I've been very busy and now whacked. (It would be a good idea to alter your settings here to accept PM's. Nearly all of us do and it can be very useful for some (legitimate) things best not posted publicly, and this sort of thing).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Jan-13 19:36:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
also their website doesn't show the prices you quoted.

£25 a month
UP TO 76Mb/sec
OP is only talking about EE's ordinary ADSL product.

On R after you enter your phone #
Or further down the top EE BB page.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User akawtu
(learned) Sun 06-Jan-13 19:39:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Apologies Bob, but I prefer not to have PMs enabled.

I know from past experience people can take offence and I must admit I am unintentionally leaving out important details and when these people don't like what I have to say they aren't slow to privately scold me. It's happened already but I don't mind it publicly as everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to