General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User titan
(committed) Tue 15-Jan-13 13:03:04
Print Post

How long for profile to reset

[link to this post]

I am on ADSL max and have been on the same line since 2006. I normally connect at around 4800 and it stays up for months. A week ago I had a line swap where the overhead line for the last 200m (on my property , to a mobile home) was changed to a buried line into a new build house. Same number account internet etc. The line was down for about one hour. When I reconnected it was at 5440 with a snr of 6 but my speed is only 1900. I have now been connected for six days continuously but no profile reset . I did ring BT but after a while he said as I was not using a Homehub he could not help me further, so what to do next ?
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Jan-13 13:07:52
Print Post

Re: How long for profile to reset

[re: titan] [link to this post]

BT need to do a line reset and the fact that you aren't using a homehub is irrelevant
Basically you have a stuck IP profile and this is nothing to do with the router
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 15-Jan-13 14:32:10
Print Post

does speedtester.bt.com say you have a 2000 profile ?

Leaving it off for 20 minutes, or overnight, sometimes tricks it into spotting the change.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User titan
(committed) Tue 15-Jan-13 14:46:18
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
does speedtester.bt.com say you have a 2000 profile ?

Leaving it off for 20 minutes, or overnight, sometimes tricks it into spotting the change.

On the BT forum they talk about "banding" and it taking 10 days to reset so in the absence of any better information I was going to leave it until then. I have also just come off the phone (55min) to BT support who seem very keen to get me to keep turning the router off and on and check filters but I didn't and asked why they want me to do that when line noise is not my issue. No wonder you have to buy your way out of a BT contract.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 15-Jan-13 14:50:08
Print Post

Is BT your ISP?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User titan
(committed) Tue 15-Jan-13 15:25:55
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes BT is my ISP, Speed has just returned along with my normal 4.5 profile after 6 days 4 hours
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 15-Jan-13 16:44:28
Print Post

speedtester.bt.com ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-Jan-13 21:54:32
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
speedtester.bt.com ?
As of yesterday or today re-directing to http://speedtest.btwholesale.com that replaces it, prior to complete removal. The new one does an initial Flash test, and to get the IP Profile needs you to follow that by using the Diagnostics button at the bottom of the results page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to