General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User matthewcl375
(member) Wed 06-Mar-13 03:06:19
Print Post

Will switching ISP get me a better sync?

[link to this post]

On the 25th of this month we are having BT Broadband activated on our line, the btw database estimates a sync of 16-19Mbps.

However, we are currently with Tesco up to 8Mbps seeing a sync of 6848Mbps, this is with an SNRM of 9db and an attenuation reported by the router as 6db. Obviously this shows our line is underperforming.

My question is this: in your opinions will I see an increase in speed with a switch to BT using ADSL2+ over Tesco using ADSL? As far as I and open reach know we have no voice faults on the local loop line.

In other words, is this under performance more likely related to the local loop or something upstream at the exchange?

Thanks

Edited by matthewcl375 (Wed 06-Mar-13 03:08:33)

Standard User aquiss
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Mar-13 09:49:34
Print Post

Re: Will switching ISP get me a better sync?

[re: matthewcl375] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by matthewcl375:
My question is this: in your opinions will I see an increase in speed with a switch to BT using ADSL2+ over Tesco using ADSL? As far as I and open reach know we have no voice faults on the local loop line.

It's also highly likely to be your answer to. ADSL2+ will sync up higher on shorter lines, than ADSL, hence the difference.

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Limited
http://www.aquiss.net

Unlimited Family Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-unlimited.php
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Mar-13 09:59:57
Print Post

Based on the lengthy threads it is hard to say for certain, but a reasonable chance that things will be better.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User townman
(newbie) Wed 06-Mar-13 10:32:50
Print Post

The description you have provided is not so much will switching ISPs give you a better sync, rather one of will chaning BB products (ADSL2 vs. ADSL1) give you a better synch? Given the estimates from BTw the answer appears to be yes.

The question you should be asking is will BT as an ISP provide you with better customer service than your existing ISP? No matter who is the ISP, unless you are with Virgin or another cable supplier, the last leg of your circuit is always going to be a variable quality BT copper / aluminium pair.

Given all of the problems with changing email addresses etc, you might have been better off asking Tesco to switch you to ADSL2.
(member) Wed 06-Mar-13 11:05:56
Print Post

[re: townman] [link to this post]

Basically, is my existing underperformance likely to carry over to a BT ADSL2+ connection?

My guess would be that the DSLAM our line is connected to will be changed, so if the underperformance is being caused at the exchange or further upstream, then this should sort it
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Mar-13 14:49:22
Print Post

[re: townman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by townman:
you might have been better off asking Tesco to switch you to ADSL2.
Tesco is supplied by C&W, but C&W are not LLU'd at OP's exchange, so no ADSL2+ available there.

In case you are thinking WBC, C&W non-LLU is like O2 Access or Sky Connect. They only re-buy ADSL Max, not WBC.

@OP: No need for me to repeat my thoughts on the subject; only suck-it-&-see will answer your Q.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Mar-13 15:25:00
Print Post

It might, depends on the cause of the under performance which without more investigation and trying different hardware which you have failed to do, then no-one is able to say.

No one give you certainty on this things, ADSL2+ and ADSL are very much try it and see services.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Mar-13 16:22:16
Print Post

Basically, is my existing underperformance likely to carry over to a BT ADSL2+ connection?

My guess would be that the DSLAM our line is connected to will be changed, so if the underperformance is being caused at the exchange or further upstream, then this should sort it

If you had decided on a Plusnet no contract deal then you could have given 21CN WBC a try. If after a while things are still not satisfactory then you could switch to partial LLU.

I had problems with the BT exchange kit (IP Stream) in the past which I could never seem to get fixed and it was only a change to partial LLU that cured the BB problem. Hopefully you will not have similar issues with 21CN WBC on your line that I had with 20CN but having the option of partial LLU when not in a contract with a ISP using 21CN can have advantages...
(member) Wed 06-Mar-13 17:52:18
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Thank you all for your replies, it does seem to be a case of wait and see, thou I'm pretty sure our local loop is fine, and if I read kitz correctly switching to 21CN WBC will mean I get switched from a DSLAM to an MSAN, assuming my current connection is over 20CN network I'm hoping this will fix any issues related to the DLM as the switch will put the line on the so called 3 day training and re profile it, which to be honest should have been done after the new line was installed at the end of January crazy

According to Kitz will the migration be ipstream <> ipstream or ipstream<> datastream?

Edited by matthewcl375 (Wed 06-Mar-13 18:09:13)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Mar-13 18:15:35
Print Post

Re: Will switching ISP get me a better sync? - EDITED

According to Kitz will the migration be ipstream <> ipstream or ipstream<> datastream?
Neither nor any other of Kitz's routes. You're getting too involved again.

You are probably on MSAN already (I don't know nor care about flavours of exchange kit as it doesn't affect end-users) as you are already on WBC but delivering an ADSL Max type profile.

EDIT: In all probability, no physical change need to be done to your exchange wiring; it will be done by programming the DLM to switch you from an IP Stream ADSL Max like profile to a WBC ADSL2+ one.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Wed 06-Mar-13 19:06:10)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to