General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User matthewcl375
(member) Sun 10-Mar-13 14:57:02
Print Post

Re: Will switching ISP get me a better sync?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well so far it has been a case of my sync rising and then the IPP rising, I haven't had a case of where I have got a much lower sync before which is why I was asking.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 10-Mar-13 18:06:15
Print Post

[re: matthewcl375] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by matthewcl375:
Bit annoying as I was put on a 4.5Mbps profile due to that Home Hub :/ Am I right in thinking it will rise given time, according to my current sync of 6880?

yep. If it was 21CN it should rise with a restart of the PPP session / reboot of the router, if its 20CN it'll be along in a day or two.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Mar-13 18:50:50
Print Post

But you keep asking and asking and asking and asking and asking!

Your threads are huge and you personally can't seem to do a thing as you are not the bill payer.
You've stated previously that you want to learn but sometimes it seems that answers you receive are ignored.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Sun 10-Mar-13 19:39:04
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Well, there are some very knowledgeable and helpful people on here. I often find in IT/Technology in general people are very quick to judge those who aren't as technically inclined, in fact sometimes I do it

Most of the people on here know more about broadband than me, hence why you don't see this many pages in other threads. Also, no offence to others, but a lot of technical websites can be hard to understand for someone new to the subject, hence why I prefer the approach of asking questions

@Yarwell thanks, that's reassuring to know, although I will say you can do surprisingly a lot with 4.5Mbps tongue

Edited by matthewcl375 (Sun 10-Mar-13 19:39:59)

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Mar-13 19:50:22
Print Post

Have you got the MAC key from Tesco yet?

BTW. the boss may have to return Tesco's supplied router after migration...
(member) Sun 10-Mar-13 23:11:45
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

@4M2, Yes smile Just half an hour after I requested the MAC from tesco last Tuesday my dad got a text with it, that evening he entered it into the BT order form and we now have the Home Hub being delivered on the 25th and the Broadband being activated on the same day laugh
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Mar-13 23:48:55
Print Post

That's great smile

Please keep us informed about the new BB connection - probably best to start a new thread when that happens smile
(member) Mon 11-Mar-13 00:04:31
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Haha don't worry I have another thread planned for when the Home Hub arrives laugh

Kitz has a little theory about my underperforming line which I now hold as the definite explanation of its underperformance:

Basically, my output power has been reduced. This has lowered my SN Margin (in the way which you would normally have 'spare' SNR living so close to the exchange). This has in turn reduced my sync speed by a small fraction.

This looks right to me as everywhere else I look, people with short lines (attenuation below 10db) seem to have output power of 15+db, whereas mines only 13.8db and has been since the line fault.

What do you guys think about this? Under what circumstances would DLM reduce the output power to a line?

Edited by matthewcl375 (Mon 11-Mar-13 00:05:01)

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Mar-13 00:20:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by matthewcl375:
Kitz has a little theory about my underperforming line which I now hold as the definite explanation of its underperformance:

Basically, my output power has been reduced. This has lowered my SN Margin (in the way which you would normally have 'spare' SNR living so close to the exchange). This has in turn reduced my sync speed by a small fraction.

This looks right to me as everywhere else I look, people with short lines (attenuation below 10db) seem to have output power of 15+db, whereas mines only 13.8db and has been since the line fault.

What do you guys think about this? Under what circumstances would DLM reduce the output power to a line?

As I think we discussed before from Kitz:

"Its important to note that on very good lines which would be able to sync in excess of 8Mb and which are currently syncing at 8128 or 7616 will show the SNR Margin as being higher due to the line not having reached its full potential. Such lines may well have the output power reduced in order to minimise crosstalk for other connections, therefore the SNRM figure is not an indication of the true target in these particular cases"

Please also note this, which I don't think we discussed, also from Kitz:

"~ Output power - The amount of power transmitted from the exchange and your modem. Output power will likely increase depending on the length of your line (loop loss)."
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Mar-13 00:33:17
Print Post

Where do you see that in Kitz? Is it the Power Cut Back bit that includes:
Note also how it can easily sync at the full 8128 kbps
Well, yours isn't!

Or is it the bit we discussed before that:
on very good lines which would be able to sync in excess of 8Mb and which are currently syncing at 8128 or 7616 ... may well have the output power reduced in order to minimise crosstalk for other connections
Well again. yours isn't!

You are forever clutching at straws and repeating yourself frown

Just let it go and wait for the new connection and its stats.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 11-Mar-13 00:35:35)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to