General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Deft
(committed) Thu 29-Aug-13 17:49:16
Print Post

How to best solve the mystery of my ceased broadband

[link to this post]

Broadband with Uno (via Talk Talk LLU), Voice with BT.

A couple of months back my broadband died. Turned out (via Uno) that work had been carried out on my voice line which resulted in an automatic cease of my broadband.
BT retail deny any work order was placed by them. BT Openreach obviously won't deal with me and are not giving Uno much info other than it originated BT Wholesale (not 100% confirmed, could be a typo).
At the moment I am out of pocket a cease fee (which perhaps I should have argued more against with Uno) but they waived all the reconnection fees.
Is it possible that Openreach were doing a real job that was accidentally assigned to my line by an as yet unknown 3rd party? Keyed my phone number in wrong or something?
Basically I'm finding it difficult to get to the bottom of where this work order on my voice line originated and hence who is really responsible for my loss of service / costs.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Aug-13 17:54:27
Print Post

Re: How to best solve the mystery of my ceased broadband

[re: Deft] [link to this post]

Uno via TalkTalk have the responsibility to chase up the chain and complain to Openreach and do things like get the cease charge to them refunded etc

A wrong number on a submission is likely to be the reason, Ofcom is strengthening requirements for checks to avoid this, so it does happen

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Aug-13 18:37:08
Print Post

I wouldn't be happy with that!
As Uno are your ISP I would have thought/hoped any change in your ADSL situation would be their responsibility.

Let us know how you get on and if your ISP look after you properly...

EDIT: Your TBB profile says your ISP is Zen...

Edited by b4dger (Thu 29-Aug-13 18:37:56)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deft
(committed) Thu 29-Aug-13 20:24:12
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Thanks for the comments. Didn't realise my profile even had that info - updated it now! Been a few years since I was with Zen.
I'm reasonably relaxed about the whole thing (was aggravating at the time with a heavily pregnant and overdue wife!).
I've bounced the info back to Uno for them to now follow up, who have been good so far I feel. Difficult it seems with Openreach in the middle and no-one quite having the whole story. Communication between all parties is not as easy and direct as you might hope.
Standard User Deft
(committed) Fri 30-Aug-13 17:33:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Uno are not as yet budging on the cease fee citing that Openreach carried out work they were ordered to by the voice provider and as such there is no grounds for complaint from Uno to Openreach.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 30-Aug-13 20:03:57
Print Post

Sadly, the correct thing to do is to pay uno and request reimbursement from the voice line company that caused the cease. Then seek reimbursement fro the voice company. The CAB may be able to help you.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User partial
(member) Fri 30-Aug-13 21:43:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The dispute is with the broadband provider. So the solution will only be deliverable by dealing with the broadband provider. .

Uno are a systemless reseller and have no direct relationship with Openreach, as a TalkTalk partner, TalkTalk manage the relationship with Openreach.

TalkTalk do offer an SLA to partners so this long tail of out of service is down to Uno to sort out and claim their compo.

The op would be well advised to use a real ISP next time rather than one that simply walks away from their responsibility when support is needed.
Standard User partial
(member) Fri 30-Aug-13 21:52:39
Print Post

Your problem of no broadband is down to your broadband provider to sort out. It is simply not acceptable for your broadband provider to blame third parties, walk away and wash their hands.

Xilo are a member of an OFCOM approved ADR as is a requirement of all providers, even systemless resellers and this is an avenue worth exploring. I am unsure whether this covers UNO as many resellers are somewhat cavalier when it comes to complying with OFCOM requirements.

I would be investigating this avenue or just put it down to experience and sign up with a real ISP.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 30-Aug-13 22:03:56
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

I'm sorry. That is tripe. The world is as it is, not how you think it should be.

You will find nearly all, if not all ISPs, real or virtual, charge the cease fee to the customer in such cases.

It should be that the broadband cease is charged to the company causing the broadband cease, in this case the line rental CP or another CP trying to take the line. But it isn't. End of!

There is no way a CP charged by Openreach is going to foot the bill for some other CP's cockup. The OP got his information via uno, which is not he same thing as uno ordering line work.

This problem occurs several times a year on these forums. It always gets loads of posts by people saying the same thing as you - that the innocent CP should stand an irrecoverable cease charge.

The user can recover it from the CP to blame. The broadband CP doesn't even know which CP that is.

It needs Ofcom complaints about Openreach by the bucketful from users to get this changed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User partial
(member) Fri 30-Aug-13 22:12:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Negative. The Op was busy minding their own business and their broadband stopped working.

This is clearly down to the provider to sort out.

A rogue charge has been raised to restore service.

This is all the OP needs to concentrate on.

Talk of going to the CAB to reclaim off of BT Retail is 'tripe' advice.

The OP should go to ADR. The provider will refund sharpish as it will be far cheaper than going to ADR.

Edited by partial (Fri 30-Aug-13 22:16:44)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to