General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stunts
(regular) Thu 05-Sep-13 19:10:15
Print Post

BT reject my attempt to change packages

[link to this post]

I'm currently with ADSL24 on their Office 90 package and last month decided to downgrade to the Office 45 package - so the same static IP and connection, but less daytime data allowance. However I've been contacted by ADSL 24 support to advise me that BT have rejected my change because my exchange has been marked as no more 20cn changes can be made, BT's advice is to go onto a 21cn or LLU package instead. The problem is my exchange is Market 1 with BT as the sole provider, there are no other providers on the exchange. It's a small rural exchange with very little chance of any other provider putting their equipment in. ADSL 24 are stumped as to what they can do and so my request is rejected.

Can anyone advise what could possibly be going on here with BT and my exchange ? Is there someone I can contact in BT or an ombudsman to help ? I am at a loss on how to move forward and would appreciate anyone's advice on what I can do as the consumer to sort this.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Sep-13 19:27:28
Print Post

Re: BT reject my attempt to change packages

[re: stunts] [link to this post]

IPStream is being withdrawn slowly on exchanges where the 21CN WBC network is available, are you saying that your exchange does not have this option either?

What options does https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html say, it also usually refers to old product withdrawal too.

For the change to have progressed to a BT Wholesale order it suggests that this is more than a usage allowance change, as BT Wholesale have no control on that aspect at all.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User flippery
(committed) Thu 05-Sep-13 19:43:34
Print Post

How does this involve BT. Surely it is just a matter of changing details at ISP end Looks like ISP wants to reduce payments to BT, as well, of purchased bandwidth and BT refusing.
What are router stats>

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User stunts
(regular) Thu 05-Sep-13 19:45:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My exchange is SSSHT and does not have 21CN according to Sam Knows.

The option is listed as "BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number ************** on Exchange SHERSTON

Available Products

Featured Products
ADSL Max
Fixed Rate

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Up to 8

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)
--
--

Downstream Range(Mbps)
7 to 8
--

Availability Date
Available
Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage. Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 31-Mar-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact them in the first instance to obtain a MAC (Migrations Authorisation) Code, and then contact their new Broadband supplier to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Thank you for your interest."

I agree about the progression to BT Wholesale order and questioned it with ADLS24's customer support, but they advised it is a 2 part process and there part was complete but BT's rejected.
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Thu 05-Sep-13 20:03:38
Print Post

Only sensible explanation is that ADSL24 have been using a Datastream product which is now withdrawn from sale and will be ceased on 31/03/14. BT will not therefore allow a new contract with the CP as the stop selling date has passed.

Ordinary (IPstream) service is still sellable.

Difference appears to be Datastream is over an ATM backhaul path which appears to be obsolete and IPstream can be served over a Ethernet backhaul which is far cheaper and modern.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Sep-13 20:20:18
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Does seem to be the only explanation.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User partial
(member) Thu 05-Sep-13 21:11:01
Print Post

You are paying way over the odds for 90GB hard capped for £35.75+VAT. No wonder they want to keep you on that package.

The 45GB package they won't let you move to is just as overpriced.

ADSL24 are bluffing. Get MAC and move to a better provider.

Edited by partial (Thu 05-Sep-13 21:29:42)

Standard User stunts
(regular) Thu 05-Sep-13 21:45:36
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Many thanks everyone for your help and your reasoning. Can I ask a few more questions related to it...

Is the cease date the same for the whole of the UK ?

If not, have any cease dates already occurred ? (I'm wondering how ADSL 24 cope with customers on Datastream when it's been withdrawn)

Does it require a BT visit to an exchange to move someone from Datastream to IPstream ?

I am concerned that ADSL 24 Customer Services didn't know any of this and it makes me concerned for my ADSL once the cease date for Datastream arrives. I really am considering moving provider based on this news now.

Edited by stunts (Thu 05-Sep-13 21:51:36)

Standard User stunts
(regular) Thu 05-Sep-13 21:51:03
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

The price includes a static IP, 800mb+ upload, and 90Gb is only for 8am-8pm Monday to Friday, so evenings and weekends is completely unlimited and uncapped and I've found if I do download anything in the unlimited hours I get full speeds.

I will need to look at other providers to find an equivalent one, but from my own research previously because I'm on a Market 1 exchange, my choice is very very limited to match that package and price (BT business unlimited with static IP being the only one I'm aware of).

Edited by stunts (Thu 05-Sep-13 21:52:09)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Sep-13 00:15:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by stunts:
BT's advice is to go onto a 21cn or LLU package instead.
How on earth can BT advise you to go on 21CN when they don't have 21CN at your exchange?

I also don't see why BT is involved. Surely it is just up to your ISP to just reduce your usage limit on your existing 20CN package.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to