General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rogerh
(committed) Sat 14-Sep-13 13:43:51
Print Post

Interleaving on ADSL Max

[link to this post]

I have a long, unstable line which was actually helped when ADSL Max came in, as it allows sync down to 160bps downstream. For a long time the profile was set by BT's automated system (the name of which I forget) to include interleaving. This is probably a good thing? However, for the last year or two it has invariably set as Fast Path. When I asked my ISP (now assimilated into Talktalk Business) to change the profile to interleaved, they said they could not do this as it was entirely under the control of BT's automatic system.

Now I was aware that some people who preferred Fast Path for latency reasons were upset in the past as this was automatically changed to interleaved, but I was unaware of the opposite change being automatically applied. Are Talktalk right (it had to happen sometime ...)? Or is there any advantage to Fast Path I haven't thought of, such as allowing lower sync speeds?

I thought I would ask the experts here to get my facts straight, before perhaps taking it up in an ISP forum.

Many thanks

Roger
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 14-Sep-13 14:17:11
Print Post

Re: Interleaving on ADSL Max

[re: rogerh] [link to this post]

Your ISP is talking rubbish.

The BT Wholesale DLM (Dynamic Line Management) can be set to Auto or Interleaved, that being a setting the ISP can select. Normally at initial setup time. IIRC it can also be set to Fast Path, but in severe problem cases it will still switch to Interleaved.

Once it is set, or switches to, interleaved it never automatically switches back to Fast Path.

You say your ISP is now part of TalkTalk Business. Is TalkTalk present at your exchange? Samknows is the best place to check, using your phone number. If you post the URL of the result that would be best for us.

Does this checker recognise your phone number, and is so what does it say please?

Finally, does the BT Performance Checker work for you? If it does, can you continue from the initial results to the Further Diagnostics near the bottom of the page. Then copy and paste the contents of the two results text boxes smile.

The above will confirm whether you are still on a BT Wholesale service in the first place, and give us useful diagnostics if you are.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User rogerh
(committed) Sat 14-Sep-13 14:25:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Only BT is present at my exchange, and that reluctantly! The last few nights the POTS line has been going down for an hour or so at 1am, I think they reckon rural people don't use the phone at night. (not relevant to current issue) WNCER

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Sep-13 14:33:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by rogerh:
I have a long, unstable line which was actually helped when ADSL Max came in, as it allows sync down to 160bps downstream. For a long time the profile was set by BT's automated system (the name of which I forget) to include interleaving. This is probably a good thing? However, for the last year or two it has invariably set as Fast Path. When I asked my ISP (now assimilated into Talktalk Business) to change the profile to interleaved, they said they could not do this as it was entirely under the control of BT's automatic system.

I think that I have heard that once a line is changed from interleaved to fastpath, usually manually by an ISP, some(?) ISP's can not manually reverse it back to interleaved.
Standard User rogerh
(committed) Sat 14-Sep-13 14:34:18
Print Post

Speedtest: DL 0.01, UL 0.00, Latency 38.38ms Further diagnostics: "an error occurred" and a suggestion to rerun test. Not very helpful I know, but this is a rather marginal line. Officially condemned as unusable by BT.
Standard User rogerh
(committed) Sat 14-Sep-13 14:36:20
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Is that "can't" or "won't", I can see them not wanting to be bothered? But I certainly never asked them to change it in the first place.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Sep-13 15:26:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by rogerh:
When I asked my ISP (now assimilated into Talktalk Business) to change the profile to interleaved, they said they could not do this as it was entirely under the control of BT's automatic system.
I suggest that finding you are using an ISP whose support haven't a clue what they are talking about on such a basic matter is a strong hint to change ISP!

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 14-Sep-13 15:53:05
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

They'll have been trained only on TalkTalk LLU, with just a rudimentary briefing on the BT Wholesale option they under-provision.

Which explains it, but is far from an acceptable excuse by the company.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Sep-13 16:44:17
Print Post

Xilo/uno TTB partial LLU:

"Broadband Interleaving

New lines are set to 'Auto' which is our recommended setting.

If interleaving has been applied due to poor line conditions, we can remove this to lower latency for gaming by setting 'Opt Out' or if you would like better stability over latency, please set to 'Opt In'.

[If] We are unable to determine the current status of interleaving on your line.

If you would like to make a change, please complete the form below and your request will be actioned manually."

Edited by 4M2 (Sat 14-Sep-13 16:54:26)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 14-Sep-13 18:18:23
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
New lines are set to 'Auto' which is our recommended setting.

If interleaving has been applied due to poor line conditions, we can remove this to lower latency for gaming by setting 'Opt Out' or if you would like better stability over latency, please set to 'Opt In'.

Opt in would be appropriate on a very long line.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to