General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bitmadmax
(newbie) Wed 15-Jan-14 13:41:13
Print Post

ADSL Filters - general query

[link to this post]

Chaps,

Sorry if this has been asked before but the search doesn't show up anything obvious.

Back in the old days I bought a few of the modified ADSL faceplates from Clarity so I could basically have an unfiltered extension for my ADSL modem. Over the years I have replaced the filter a few times with one of the spares because my modem would disconnect whenever the phone rang (I don't use the 3rd ring wire internally anywhere so it wasn't this). After replacing the filter it would be OK again for a few more years.

So my question, is it known for ADSL filters to "fail" eventually? This doesn't cause any problems if so as I can just replace them. But what about the filters on the BT side? What happens if/when they fail? if at all.. and assuming they have filters on their side of course.

Thanks smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 15-Jan-14 14:12:56
Print Post

Re: ADSL Filters - general query

[re: bitmadmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bitmadmax:
Over the years I have replaced the filter a few times with one of the spares because my modem would disconnect whenever the phone rang (I don't use the 3rd ring wire internally anywhere so it wasn't this). After replacing the filter it would be OK again for a few more years.
IMO you have a line fault that the filtered faceplates are masking for a while, until it destroys them.

Have you tried the Quiet line test, (17070 Option 2), using a corded phone directly into the test socket that the faceplate plugs into?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Jan-14 15:42:37
Print Post

Capacitors are a known failure point for many simple and not so simple electronic circuits, that and the potential for solder joints to break over time.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bitmadmax
(newbie) Wed 15-Jan-14 21:17:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hmm thanks.. never thought of that so will give it a go. What will the quiet line test report?

What about the filters on BT's side? Do these ever get renewed? How does BT/the operator know if one of their filters have failed, or do they rely on a complaint from a customer?

Thanks tongue
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jan-14 21:43:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by bitmadmax:
What will the quiet line test report?
Nothing, i.e. silence, if you are lucky. Otherwise any noise should be reported to your landline provider as a voice fault (Do not talk about the BB).

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to