General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rogerowalters
(learned) Sat 22-Feb-14 16:22:10
Print Post

Monk Sherborne Exchange

[link to this post]

This is rural Market 1 exchange due to be upgraded to FTTC as part of the Hampshire Rural Broadband Programme, phase 1, with an RFS date of 1 March 2014. BT wholesale has been busy installing new cabinets and I will be about 500 metres from my cabinet.
According to "SamKnows" the exchange is enabled for WBC 21CN but the date for this is not given and it appears to have been a closely guarded secret. I heard about it when a friend, who had been away on holiday and came home to find his broadband service not working (it was out for 2 weeks), was told by his ISP that he was being upgraded to ADSL2+. Following this I asked my ISP to arrange for me to be upgraded to ADSL2+ nearly 3 weeks ago. It seemed sensible to find out if this would give me a significant boost in connection speed before I had to make a choice about upgrading to FTTC. No progress has been made in getting this update implemented although another friend who requested an upgrade from the same ISP was told that his line was already upgraded to ADSL2+ and that he could have the "faster" service if he adjusted his router. Interestingly his downstream speed is now slower than before although upstream performance is better. Another friend told me today that she had no service at all because she had unwisely chosen this moment to change ISP!
Today I learnt about the BT Wholesale 21CN availability list and checked the exchange information only to discover that Monk Sherborne Exchange is listed amongst those with capacity issues with a resolution date in early April. I guess this is the real reason for the issues and this will not make the switch to FTTC any easier. Does anyone know if BT Wholesale keeps its customers, our ISP's, informed? If they do then there should be an obligation on ISP's to provide good and timely information to their customers who pay for the services provided.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 22-Feb-14 17:21:34
Print Post

Re: Monk Sherborne Exchange

[re: rogerowalters] [link to this post]

ISPs have access to a lot of information that never gets anywhere near the customer.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc can show how the line is performing and give an estimate for ADSL2+ if you are still on an ADSL based service.

ADSL2+ tends to only boost speeds for lines with a downstream attenuation under 45dB. Longer lines generally see a boost to the upstream speed though.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Tue 25-Feb-14 13:59:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks. The estimates for ADSL2+ speeds are vey promising when compared with my current best efforts of up to 5.33Mbps.
Unfortunately have now heard from PlusNet that BT Wholesale has advised that they are not able to supply ADSL2+ because of capacity problems on the exchange, a known problem due to be sorted out by 9 April 14.
Am I correct in thinking that this will also cause problems with the roll-out of FTTC which is due to be available from 1 March 14?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Feb-14 14:04:54
Print Post

Should not stop the roll-out, but might delay when you can order FTTC.

You can verify your ADSL2+ estimate using data from current ADSL router using http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mgbgt3
(newbie) Mon 10-Mar-14 15:52:00
Print Post

I too live in Monk Sherborne and have the same problem. Ordered an upgrade from ADSL to ADSL2 from my ISP and was assured it would be OK. One week later they have just informed me they can't complete the oder due to BT Capacity problems (no date given for resolution)

Why do the ISPs and BT Wholesale web sites show the exchange is now 21CN with ADSL2 and FTTC availability if they don't have the capacity to provide it?

I have not seen any BT street cabinets in the local village so don't know how (or even if) they intend to supply FTTC to the local village, but I have seen a new cabinet being worked on in the past couple of weeks in the opposite direction to where I live about 1.5miles from the exchange.

I have a number of friends who live some distance from the same BT exchange with dire BB speeds so I wonder if BT are just putting in these FTTC cabinets as a means of providing reasonable BB to the outlying houses and have no intention of supplying FTTC in the local village itself. Is there any way to find out?
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Mar-14 16:01:26
Print Post

[re: mgbgt3] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mgbgt3:
...Is there any way to find out?
What does Openreach's www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when show for you?

(learned) Tue 11-Mar-14 14:13:51
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

BT Openreach indicates that Monk Sherborne is accepting orders but this does not mean that an order can be placed!
Monk Sherborne exchange is no longer on the list of exchanges with capacity issues: (https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Library/Network_Information/21CN_Broadband_Availibility/index.htm)
but the exchange is in the list of those undergoing re-engineering works to enable the service provision, scheduled for completion by 09 April 2014.
Some new cabinets have been installed and at least 2 in SStJ appear to have had new fibre cables and new power supplies.
Just have to live in hope!
(learned) Sun 13-Apr-14 16:55:19
Print Post

Hope springs eternal!
Fortunately BT Broadband Availability Checker confirmed FTTC availability for my phone line on 1 April, although there are still some exchange capacity issues with ADSL2+. Also because Monk Sherborne exchange provides a service to a rural area with some lines not being routed through cabinets and not all cabinets being upgraded it is clear that FTTC will not be universally available for some time.
I was able to place an order for Essentials Fibre (and telephone) with PN who made the arrangements and sent a new router by post. The very efficient BT Openreach engineer arrived as planned on Thurs 10th, clearly explained the options, and completed the installation including new master socket on Cat 5 extension and commissioned the service in the space of 35 minutes; he had visited the cabinet before he came to my home. A very neat and tidy job and a very satisfied customer who is enjoying the much improved broadband performance.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 13-Apr-14 18:04:30
Print Post

Enjoy smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Apr-14 21:39:10
Print Post

Monk Sherborne really is out in the boonies, it's part of my patch, high six ! wink

Print Thread

Jump to