General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rscott
(member) Wed 05-Mar-14 10:25:55
Print Post

21CN Rollout Details

[link to this post]

My local exchange (EAWIX) has still not been upgraded to 21CN (and isn't in the current BDUK plans for Essex either).

Is there any way of finding out if/when any upgrades are planned? There's a new wireless network being rolled out across the district and a distinct possibility that I might be able to switch to that later this year. They're offering incentives for early adopters if I sign up within the next couple of months.
If the exchange goes 21CN, I should get a reasonable increase in speed so probably won't go wireless, but would like to know BT's plans before committing.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Mar-14 10:43:56
Print Post

Re: 21CN Rollout Details

[re: rscott] [link to this post]

What are your current ADSL stats

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc will estimate your ADSL2+ (21CN) speeds for you.

Council plans are always in flux so you won't really know until they have decided to deploy for sure in the area.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rscott
(member) Wed 05-Mar-14 10:53:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks - the site estimates I should get near enough a doubling of speed from ~5 to about 11Mbit/s . So a useful increase, should the exchange ever get updated.

I've had confirmation from the council that the exchange definitely isn't in any of the plans for the current phase of 'Superfast Essex'. That unfortunately seems to focus on the towns and miss most of the rural areas. They've suggested it may be included in the second phase using the £10.72 million they've just been allocated, but those plans won't be confirmed until the first phase is well underway.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Mar-14 15:13:24
Print Post

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5994-essex-signs-...

They signed and stated fibre based broadband to 87% in August 2013, so planning will be around that. The later 95% superfast figure depends on what the council wants to do with the extra money from Westminster and can they afford their own additional money.

Best chance of ADSL2+ will be if TalkTalk unbundle the exchange. Certainly ADSL2+ will not be part of the council plans.

Given the size of Wix (lived in Frinton and used the road to get to Suffolk a lot) it is fairly earily in that final 13% and the wireless is best bet of better speeds in the next couple of years.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rscott
(member) Wed 05-Mar-14 15:58:57
Print Post

They used to have more detailed estimates for the rollout by district on www.superfastessex.org but these seem to have gone away. They were suggesting about 80% coverage for Tendring by the end of the first phase - not great but better than the 60% or so proposed for the Maldon area.

Hopefully TalkTalk will unbundle soon - perhaps the lack of inclusion in BDUK might make the exchange more appealing.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Mar-14 09:11:49
Print Post

I would have thought the roll out of wireless would make it less attractive to TalkTalk.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Mar-14 09:26:56
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Presume it is these wireless people

http://www.countybroadband.co.uk/get-broadband/cover...

http://www.countybroadband.co.uk/community/tendring-...

Standard User rscott
(member) Thu 06-Mar-14 09:36:12
Print Post

No - they weren't interested in covering Wix & Bradfield when approached.

It's these - http://www.mlltelecom.com/news/ . They're planning on putting a mast up on a new industrial development at Horsley Cross (next to the existing 500' tall radio mast)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Mar-14 11:43:12
Print Post

That looks a lot more Wi-Fi than the fixed wireless that county broadband do.

Clacton, Frinton, Walton already have fairly good FTTC coverage and the caravan parks will benefit but WiFi hot spots usually have short reach, hence probably no interest in your area as they need a dense cluster to make it work.

Standard User rscott
(member) Thu 06-Mar-14 21:18:55
Print Post

The residential service will be provided by 'Our Broadband' - http://www.ourbroadband.co.uk/ - apparently a joint venture between MLL Telecom and Eurona.

Speeds and costs are pretty similar to County Broadband, I think.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to