General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Snowstorm
(newbie) Fri 14-Mar-14 16:48:30
Print Post

New Footprint Exchange

[link to this post]

Is anyone familiar with the term "New Footprint Exchanges"?
Our local exchange has just had an FTTC upgrade due to BDUK. Quite a number of us here are on the dreaded "Exchange Only Lines" but are shown on our council's website as expected to get Superfast Broadband this year.

Over the last few days the BT wholesale site shows our exchange (EMLNGBU) as:

"Currently closed whilst planned re-engineering work is completed as
per industry briefings for all New Foot Print Exchanges delivered in
13/14 programme "

Do you think this sounds encouraging for us "Exchange Only" types or could the re-engineering work be something totally unrelated to fibre?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Mar-14 17:00:36
Print Post

Re: New Footprint Exchange

[re: Snowstorm] [link to this post]

Probably just means fibre foot print (fibre footprint) shows lots of hits on Google and makes more sense.

Generally EO lines and their new cabinet are dealt with after the bulk of standard cabinets are done in an area and a lot will depend on the size of the EO foot print.

Having had a peek at the area, it looks pretty small and with around 2000 lines spread out over 8 cabinets, the amount of EO is dangerously small (think around 60 premises), and unless you have it written in blood I would be betting that the EO lines will be missed out on that exchange. i.e. too few to make a new cabinet worthwhile, best chance is if they can re-engineer network to add them to a nearby cabinet. In theory possible but done rarely.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6324-next-round-o...
Northamptonshire is trying to work to very high levels of coverage, maybe even 100%, but the less standard premises may end up having to wait a few years.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Storm_Force
(newbie) Fri 14-Mar-14 21:23:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, my exchange Hatherleigh WWHATH has just been upgraded to fibre via connecting Devon and Somerset BDUK. I am on a dreaded EO line and from what I can gather so is the majority of the town.

(however when I asked CDAS they said FTTP would you used in some area's on EO Lines, however no more detail than that)

Could you look up for me the rough number of EO lines?

Thanks

Edited by Storm_Force (Fri 14-Mar-14 21:24:02)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Mar-14 22:58:58
Print Post

[re: Storm_Force] [link to this post]

I can try and figure it out. Fttp is an option but likely to be a late phase ie once bulk of other work is done and spare money left. More labour with fttp which ups the cost

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Storm_Force
(newbie) Sat 15-Mar-14 20:52:05
Print Post

OK thanks that would be great, cab 3 is due to go live by July which serves the Petrockstowe area the fibre to feed this will run under the road outside my house....... wonder if they could split me off a line LOL!!!
Standard User Snowstorm
(newbie) Sun 16-Mar-14 14:11:04
Print Post

I don't have any confirmation other than the Superfast Northamptonshire postcode map saying planning is underway and it's likely to be available in 2014. I emailed them to say " We're on an exchange only line... are you sure we're getting fibre?"

They replied that the map is accurate, but subject to the usual "plans might change due to unforeseen circumstances".

I suppose we'll have to wait and see what happens.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 16-Mar-14 16:24:04
Print Post

Does the map identify each postcode/street individually or just coloured areas?

Standard User Snowstorm
(newbie) Sun 16-Mar-14 17:32:16
Print Post

It's divided into postcodes and coloured in according to what the plans are (up to 2017).
Superfast Northamptonshire postcode map

Some postcodes cover only a handful of properties and have a separate colour to those surrounding them (which suggests quite good accuracy) but others for example, High Street (NN6 7RE) are showing as Green (available in parts of postcode) when many premises are exchange only and BT DSL Checker shows as Fibre not available.

I've been trying to figure out where a cabinet could go, or even if FTTP is on the cards.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 17-Mar-14 10:03:02
Print Post

Those divisions look more like

AB1 type postcodes rather than a full seven digit AB12 3CD style

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/images/northamptonshire... shows what I figured. FTTP in terms of small numbers of properties 30 to 40 in a cluster is feasible, but question will be the cost.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 17-Mar-14 10:09:02
Print Post

[re: Storm_Force] [link to this post]

Of the 1000 or so premises around 250 to 300 are Exchange Only lines and its 3 or 4 cabinets on the exchange.

One cluster is Iddesleigh and most of the Eastern side of Harthleigh

Cab 1 and 4 done via the project but the much smaller cabinet 3 has been missed out so far. Down to how the spending goes for the easier cabinets I'd say.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to