General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Fri 09-May-14 13:54:58
Print Post

Dropping synch speed

[link to this post]

My ADSL2 line used to synch at 17Mb/s (at 6db)when I first had it upgraded. Since then I've had a couple of issues and had to have the SNRM "fixed" to 6db (DLM wanted to use 3db, which my old router took issue with!). I don't think that last part is of any relevance, but anyway...

These days it's synching at just under 15MB/s with the same SNRM of 6db. Looking at the BT checker, it has recently changed to say that my downstream rate is "up to 8.5Mb/s" whereas it used to say "up to 11Mb/s".

Obviously BT aren't going to be in the slightest bit interested, but why is my line slowing down?

I don't hear any noise on a quiet line test, the line is running FAST etc.

I can only think that the noise has increased, albeit unnoticeably. What could be causing it? Where should I start looking?

I have then new VDSL mk2 filter plate, the tandy sheilded twisted pair cable (1m). I'm sure I'm doing everything I can to eliminate noise!

Cheers,
AP

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-May-14 14:33:54
Print Post

Re: Dropping synch speed

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

Increased cross talk - even more so if FTTC in area
Degraded joints

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Fri 09-May-14 16:55:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew,

No FTTC here yet, meant to be starting in July. The drop seem to have increased in pace recently, is there anything I can check in terms of joints? (I'm guess only behind the master socket if I'm feeling naughty)

Wouldn't there be other symptoms such as audible noise on the line? Perhaps I should get the wife to listen; her hearing is better than mine (unfortunately...).

Cheers,
AP

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-May-14 17:01:56
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

I doubt her hearing is up to the point of hearing actual cross talk level noise, which is in the beyond human range by a long way.

In short drop may JUST be down to factors in the wiring outside of your control. Or even more out of control, updates to DSL microcode in DSLAM that means it gets on less well with your ADSL modem.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to