General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User SunTzu7
(newbie) Mon 07-Jul-14 09:20:34
Print Post

Openreach issue with new build house

[link to this post]

I'm currently a BT customer and am about to move house to a new build site in Worcester. I checked the broadband speed for the postcode and all is good, and infinity is available. However when I put in my excat house number, it is not available.

Just to clarify, the build cycle is almost complete. Only 2 houses are still being built and almost all of the houses are now sold and lived in. The estate is basically a circle with my new house is in a cul-de-sac in the centre.

When I go to search for the house next door, it can have superfast broadband and the previous house on the estate I was considering which is in a similar position to mine (i.e. built, ready and vacant) is also fine.

Spoke to BT abotu the house move and they have basically confirmed that I can't get infinity. The best they can suggest is that I move, downgrade and then wait for my house to be upgraded.

I'm convinced that the estate will be served by the same cabinet and it's clear that it has been upgraded. It is also clear that the builder would not have put in anything different for my new house as pposed to the others on the estate. I cannot believe that there is a reason why it superfast broadband shouldn't be available.

I am also convinced that it isn't about waiting for the roll out to get to me if the whole estate can get infiity and we cannot.

My biggest worry is that if I don't get it resolved before I move in, it won't get looked at after. I am sure the infrastructure is all there but that somewhere, someone hasn't done somethign they ought to have done.

I got through to a technical support at BT who have suggested after moving in, I wait 48 hours for a normalisation to occur (although they are baffled why another empty house can have it and mine cannot) and suggested that I am free to cancel after 14 days if I cannot get what I want.

But as the issue is more likely with openreach than BT, cancelling with BT isn't going to make much difference as the issue seems to be with the network backbone. I suspect the hosue just hasn't been registered on a system so it comes back saying it's not available when it is.

So basically, I just wanted to ask if anyone else had any other ideas as to what I could do to get this sorted? Broadband is important for my ability to work from home and my family like to do a lot of netflix streaming and moving from somewhere where we get 60 Mb to 6Mb is going to be extremely annoying.

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Jul-14 09:23:51
Print Post

Re: Openreach issue with new build house

[re: SunTzu7] [link to this post]

New houses take time to appear on

1. Postcode databases
2. Be updated into the Openreach databases for line information
3. Is it FTTC or FTTP that is available in the area?

Basically it is move in, get the telephone line activated and running and a few days later it should be sorted in terms of ordering broadband

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User SunTzu7
(newbie) Mon 07-Jul-14 09:34:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
New houses take time to appear on

1. Postcode databases
2. Be updated into the Openreach databases for line information
3. Is it FTTC or FTTP that is available in the area?

Basically it is move in, get the telephone line activated and running and a few days later it should be sorted in terms of ordering broadband

I understand your points. But there is no issue with postcodes. Everywhere I've checked, the post code is fine and house shows up. That doesn't seem to be the issue.

It's just that EVERY house has been updated except one. Ours. This is the issue. I cannot believe it will get resolved on it's own.

IT's FTTC.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Jul-14 09:43:01
Print Post

So part 1 is fixed and now down to part 2 to take place.

While you should be able to have FTTC until they actually jumper up the line there is always the risk that you will be the one that does not get it.

Two routes and one worst case scenaio

1. Fight it out now when you have no billing relationship and no active phone line
or
2. Get the line activated and let happen what usually happens that sorts things out in a couple of days and only then if there are issues to chase up, and by having an active line it is a lot simpler to pursue.
or
3. Your line was installed before any of the cabinets alongside an EO line that served the sales/builders hut and might not be able to get FTTC

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User SunTzu7
(newbie) Mon 07-Jul-14 09:58:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
So part 1 is fixed and now down to part 2 to take place.

While you should be able to have FTTC until they actually jumper up the line there is always the risk that you will be the one that does not get it.

Two routes and one worst case scenaio

1. Fight it out now when you have no billing relationship and no active phone line
or
2. Get the line activated and let happen what usually happens that sorts things out in a couple of days and only then if there are issues to chase up, and by having an active line it is a lot simpler to pursue.
or
3. Your line was installed before any of the cabinets alongside an EO line that served the sales/builders hut and might not be able to get FTTC

Thanks for this. So is your recommendation the 2nd route? My concern is that until someone updates the registry at Openreach, that they will do the basic line check and just say, sorry, you can't get it and that I'll have nowhere else to go and just be stuck.

I shoudl say that I do have a billing relationship but obviously not for the new house...but I'm just being pedantic now.

Are there any steps I can push with BT to basically force them to do some more invasive re-checks than just the basic availability/speed test? I'm genuionely certain that the infrastructure is all present and correct. I am sure it's something really quite small such as an entry in a database which has just been missed.

I must admit, I didnt understand the worst case screnario.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Jul-14 10:29:02
Print Post

Worst case may mean you cannot get FTTC just ADSL2+.

There are numerous mistakes in the BT databases both at retail and wholesale levels, often the process of just ordering a phone service sorts some of them out, sometimes it does not, but being able to call 151 and explain I am phoning you from the property at that address and you are billing at that address is a lot more convincing.

Trying to sort it out before you move in, they may not bother since you are not a customer of BT Retail (who you talk to) and they will be wary that they may do all the fixing for you to order then from Sky or TalkTalk who have the same powers to get things updated, but are a lot worse at doing it.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 07-Jul-14 14:51:55
Print Post

The third scenario there, about a possible EO line, does occur I'm afraid. Yours wasn't the Show House by any chance?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Jul-14 21:27:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If the fast broadband is critical would it be possible to say you won't go ahead with the move unless the builder proves it is available by getting the line activated? You'd should then be able to properly confirm if you will be able to get FTTC. That way, you might have a delay swapping the line and then getting upgraded, but at least you'd know you were going to get it. Better that than moving in and finding out later you won't be able to get FTTC.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 07-Jul-14 23:12:17
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

If they try that, it needs remembering that the correct results from putting the number into the FTTC checker take 2-4 days from installation to reflect the new address, rather that the address the number was previously used at.

Otherwise panic or a false positive could ensue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to